Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What DVD / Video did you watch last night? (pt3)

Thanks for that . Must admit watching the first episode I was struggling to pay any attention till the last fifteen minutes which completely changed my view .
The end of episode one was the high point of the series for me. I struggled through this and gave up halfway through episode 5. This should have been tailor made for me but I found Lovecraft Country disappointing.

The only recent Lovecraft adaptation I can think of was The Color of Space. Lovecraft Country isn't an adaptation of Lovecraft's work, it's based on the novel by Mark Ruff.
There is also The Beach House, brand new film on Shudder that got some decent reviews but I thought was a steaming pile of shit and a waste of basic premise.

There is also The Beach House, brand new film on Shudder that got some decent reviews but I thought was a steaming pile of shit and a waste of basic premise.
That wasn't an adaptation of a Lovecraft story or novel, it's merely one of many films which have been described as "Lovecraftian".

Queen & Slim 2019. Wicked film. Handles the subject with responsibility. Instantly charismatic leads - 8/10

Dark Waters - A Teflon nightmare . Tense and all that stuff thrillers have with the extra punch that it is real. Great acting/script/direction and it achieves what it sets out to do so 10/10 .
I just watched Dark Water. Fantastic story - and that lawyer was a hero.

Thought I needed something trashy. Tried watching Bone Tomahawk. Within minutes I thought 'fuck the acting is really bad'. Got to an hour and started phone messing.

Not scary, just rubbish.

Bill & Ted Face the Music

Silly nonsense, with poor historical accuracy and bad hair. The two daughters were just plain daft. And absolutely brilliant. I may even have had dust in my eye at the end, thinking 'fuck me, I really miss going to a gig.'

One Of These Days
Sweaty drama about a bunch of misfits competing to win a truck - by touching a truck until everyone else gives up. Not a comedy as I first thought, these people really need that truck and their desperation is palpable, 4 stinky yellow t-shirts out of 5

The Trouble With Nature
A bewigged and bepowdered Edmund Burke explores the Alps with an enslaved Native American woman in an attempt to experience the sublime that he's written a book about. Only she seems able to experience it, he just cowers and cringes. 3 icy cathedrals out of 5

76 Days
Terrifying doc filmed secretly in Wuhan hospitals during the initial outbreak of Covid early this year. Some heartbreaking and horrifying moments as we witness the hospital staff struggling to cope. 5 wailing relatives out of 5

Finished the Sopranos , well finished rewatching the episodes I’d seen and watching ones I hadn’t . Must say that I thought the last season a little underwhelming in places but pleasantly surprised that they played John Cooper Clark’s Evidently Chicken Town .

Relic, new Australian horror film which is a promising debut feature. An old woman goes missing, her daughter and granddaughter drive from Melbourne to search for her. Eventually the grandmother returns but she doesn't seem to be the same and something may have followed her into the house. Strong on atmosphere and a sense of menace, it taps into the fear of an ageing parent declining. Great performances from the three lead actresses too, I enjoyed this a lot.

Really liked this, though 3/4 in my other half, being as confused as me as the possible theme, looked it up online and told me. I actually reckon that spoiler helped me enjoy the ending much more, because sure as fuck I would have been scratching my head about the actual meaning of it otherwise.

Apart from its meaning, I was most impressed with its effectiveness as a horror film. It is far more tense and nerve-wrecking, and without actually resorting to any jump scares or violence, than plenty other horror flicks that throw every trick of the trade at you. Brilliant effort.

Back
Top Bottom