Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What do you think of Genesis P Orridge

I fucking love GPO, TG and PTV. Who cares about the shit music they made? The good stuff is what matters, and the good stuff is amazing.

There's a 90 minute interview with him here. I know that's a substantial commitment, but it's a fantastic interview - he talks about his childhood, involvement in the 60s/70s counterculture, the rise of COUM and then Throbbing Gristle. It's totally fascinating, even allowing for the self-mythologising.

Watched it (over two days), thanks, spot on, fantastic interview.

I know that. Really want to see the documentary about their relationship.

Watched this and it lived up to my expectations, brilliant and very moving. It's €4 to download on vimeo (think the link i have posted is the full movie as im signed in). Highly recommend.

Just by way of idle interest - and because there has recently been a thread on the Kibbo Kift - I heard over the weekend that Genesis P Orridge's grandfather (might have been GPO's father....) was a member of the Kibbo Kift and his name is inscribed in the Kin Log.

Thee Temple Ov Psychick Youth, his magickal organization/tendency, published 'Thee Grey Book' (a guide to TOPY) and then, in 1992 a magazine/newsletter called 'Thee Infernal Templer'. I think I have copies somewhere in my loft...:cool:

Then in 1993 (I think) Genesis sent out a press release which read...

"Please be informed one and for ALL ways... Thee Temple of Psychick Youth was voluntarily terminated by its SOURCE with ex dream prejudice on September 3, 1991 in accordance with their original intent."

The discrepancy in dates was due (I think) to breakaway factions within TOPY and unauthorised use of the TOPY name and logo. Fozzie Bear should be able to fill in the gaps...

THEE PSYCHICK BIBLE

ptv.jpg

And, while I was looking for a book this afternoon, I found a pristine copy of OV magazine! I'd forgotten all about it.

It is a very stylish b/w number, printed on A3 (a bit like Andy Warhol's 60s 'Interview' magazine) and, I see from the publication credit panel, that Fozzie Bear had a considerable hand in its publication.

I also see that I get a credit too.:cool:

His magickal work doesn't appeal to me, mainly because I see him as part of the neo-Crowleyan stream of magick that came into being alongside (and to some extent through) the emergence of "Chaos Magick" in the UK - a system that ultimately borrowed heavily from the occult philosophies of former Brixtonian Austin Osman Spare - and it all seems a bit twee to me. I prefer my magick as a more straightforward transaction ("here you go, here's your burnt offering, now show me the money!") than Genesis does

In case anyone is interested in Spare - his art and his magick and maybe his links to Brixton - there's a talk on Tuesday evening, given by the man who may have one of the largest private collection of Spare's works and who worked magickally for years with Kenneth Grant, Spare's friend and champion of his art. And it's only 3 quids.

The Quietus | News | Crowdfund Launched For Genesis P-Orridge Leukemia Treatment

"Following the recent news that Genesis Breyer P-Orridge has been diagnosed with leukemia, a GoFundMe page has been launched in order to support them through treatment.

The diagnosis was revealed by P-Orridge last month, and all upcoming Psychic TV tour dates were cancelled as a result. The crowdfunding effort has been launched on P-Orridge's behalf by media theorist and friend of theirs Douglas Rushkof, who has also played in Psychic TV.

Writing on the GoFundMe page, Rushkof says that due to the tour cancellation, P-Orridge is "flat broke, three months behind on rent, and undergoing chemo and constant testing". He adds that all contributions will go towards food, rent and medicine for P-Orridge during the treatment."

Click here to support Genesis Breyer P-Orridge organized by Douglas Rushkoff

In case anyone is interested in Spare - his art and his magick and maybe his links to Brixton - there's a talk on Tuesday evening, given by the man who may have one of the largest private collection of Spare's works and who worked magickally for years with Kenneth Grant, Spare's friend and champion of his art. And it's only 3 quids.

there was an exhibition of his work at the atlantis bookshop earlier this year (or late last year, can't remember), very good.

From that article:
In the last year, an old bandmate and girlfriend, known as Cosey Fanni Tutti, accused P-Orridge in a memoir of being physically and emotionally abusive. P-Orridge said she had not seen the book, but denied the allegations. “Whatever sells a book sells a book,” she said.
This is some of what Cosey Fanni Tutti said Genesis P-Orridge did:
was constantly having to second-guess Gen’s mood swings. Nothing I did was enough. He showed no empathy towards me – it was always about him. If I had an early start for a photo or film shoot, he’d keep me up late, talking about himself, saying he was depressed and needing reassurance. He fed off me like a parasite. I knew my life with Gen couldn’t continue.

On 1 August 1978, as we lay in bed, I told Gen I thought that we should separate. First there were tears, from us both. I held him close. I hated making him so sad. When he realised he couldn’t talk me round, the reality hit home. “But you’re my battery – I feed off you,” he said. No mention of love. “That’s why I have to leave,” I said. “I feel like I’m being eaten away.”

He leapt on top of me and started strangling me. “If I can’t have you, nobody can!” I was strong enough to get him off me and hold him down until his temper subsided a bit. He was wild-eyed, and I suspected that as soon as I let go of him, he’d flip again. I jumped up, ran through to the front bedroom, dressed as quickly as I could, and grabbed the bag of essentials that I’d thankfully packed ages ago. I heard Gen get out of bed and turned as he came running after me. He was so fast. “All because of THAT!” he screamed at me as he kicked me so hard in my crotch that it almost lifted me off the ground. I was doubled over in pain, holding myself. I couldn’t move. Then he unleashed a torrent of punches and kicks and delivered a verbal blow that hurt me more: “I’d never have let you kill my baby if I’d known you’d leave me.” I was stunned to hear him use the termination I’d had in this way. “My baby”? Not “our baby”? How cruel to use the child I’d mourned against me.

Me and Gen living apart didn’t seem to adversely affect Throbbing Gristle, the band that evolved from COUM. We were on fire with ideas. The band took a trip to visit our friend Monte, who was now living in San Francisco. We all slept on the floor of his living room, which was difficult as Gen kept wanting to sleep with me.

I took the opportunity to get an all-over tan. I hated bikini marks – they didn’t look good when I was stripping. I was on my own in the garden, lying on my front in a red G-string, half-asleep. Suddenly there was a great thud. I sprang up to see that a large cement block had landed about six inches from my head. Gen had thrown it from Monte’s balcony and was standing there staring down in silence.

He could have killed me. I shouted at him and Monte came out to see what was going on. He was horrified, but Gen carried on like nothing had happened. With hindsight, it’s unbelievable that Gen wasn’t brought to account. Maybe Monte made him realise what a narrow escape he – and I – had had. That put a halt to any more sunbathing for me when Gen was around.
How lovely that that can be dismissed and glossed over like that! Arsehole.

Thankyou. I didn't read beyond the first post that stated that they have leukemia from about a year ago.

Last edited:
From that article:
In the last year, an old bandmate and girlfriend, known as Cosey Fanni Tutti, accused P-Orridge in a memoir of being physically and emotionally abusive. P-Orridge said she had not seen the book, but denied the allegations. “Whatever sells a book sells a book,” she said.
This is some of what Cosey Fanni Tutti said Genesis P-Orridge did:
was constantly having to second-guess Gen’s mood swings. Nothing I did was enough. He showed no empathy towards me – it was always about him. If I had an early start for a photo or film shoot, he’d keep me up late, talking about himself, saying he was depressed and needing reassurance. He fed off me like a parasite. I knew my life with Gen couldn’t continue.

On 1 August 1978, as we lay in bed, I told Gen I thought that we should separate. First there were tears, from us both. I held him close. I hated making him so sad. When he realised he couldn’t talk me round, the reality hit home. “But you’re my battery – I feed off you,” he said. No mention of love. “That’s why I have to leave,” I said. “I feel like I’m being eaten away.”

He leapt on top of me and started strangling me. “If I can’t have you, nobody can!” I was strong enough to get him off me and hold him down until his temper subsided a bit. He was wild-eyed, and I suspected that as soon as I let go of him, he’d flip again. I jumped up, ran through to the front bedroom, dressed as quickly as I could, and grabbed the bag of essentials that I’d thankfully packed ages ago. I heard Gen get out of bed and turned as he came running after me. He was so fast. “All because of THAT!” he screamed at me as he kicked me so hard in my crotch that it almost lifted me off the ground. I was doubled over in pain, holding myself. I couldn’t move. Then he unleashed a torrent of punches and kicks and delivered a verbal blow that hurt me more: “I’d never have let you kill my baby if I’d known you’d leave me.” I was stunned to hear him use the termination I’d had in this way. “My baby”? Not “our baby”? How cruel to use the child I’d mourned against me.

Me and Gen living apart didn’t seem to adversely affect Throbbing Gristle, the band that evolved from COUM. We were on fire with ideas. The band took a trip to visit our friend Monte, who was now living in San Francisco. We all slept on the floor of his living room, which was difficult as Gen kept wanting to sleep with me.

I took the opportunity to get an all-over tan. I hated bikini marks – they didn’t look good when I was stripping. I was on my own in the garden, lying on my front in a red G-string, half-asleep. Suddenly there was a great thud. I sprang up to see that a large cement block had landed about six inches from my head. Gen had thrown it from Monte’s balcony and was standing there staring down in silence.

He could have killed me. I shouted at him and Monte came out to see what was going on. He was horrified, but Gen carried on like nothing had happened. With hindsight, it’s unbelievable that Gen wasn’t brought to account. Maybe Monte made him realise what a narrow escape he – and I – had had. That put a halt to any more sunbathing for me when Gen was around.
How lovely that that can be dismissed and glossed over like that! Arsehole.
I always thought he was a bit of an arsehole, but I never particularly had him down as an abuser as well

Very surprising that the renown control freak with an obsession with serial killers, fascism and transgressive sexual acts might turn out to be a bit dodgy in his personal relations.

Always had him marked for a wrong 'un
my reaction to the revelations in Cosey's book was 'yeah, that figures' kind of thing.
tbh it was worse than I'd have expected but I still wasn't shocked by it.

unfortunately more will come out in the next 5 years. it's inevitable with this kind of thing.

Edit: probably shouldn't say anymore than that.

Last edited:
I read that earlier, good piece I think it's a little from column A, a little from column B.

(I also read some speculation from The Black Dog that Gen isn't as sick as he makes out and is on the grift...)

Back
Top Bottom