Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

*What book are you reading? (part 2)

Re-reading Postcards by Annie Proulx. An absolute belter of a book this, intensely creative and poetic, completely absorbing. I had forgotten what a genius she is.

I have rather stupidly stopped noting down what I am reading - a shame - back to making lists I think..

I have just finished Sam Llewellyn, The Shadow In The Sands.

A good read.

I just started reading Unreasonable Behaviour. Even if you don't go in for the photography thing, he is a lovely character and it's a great biography. Have just ripped through the first hundred pages..
His childhood, growing up during the war, his evacuations (striking his sister went to a well to do family, he went to a poor farm), his first jobs, his National service. Cracking read so far.
Unreasonable Behaviour by Don McCullin | Waterstones

9780099437765.jpg

The Cabin at the End of the World by Paul Tremblay.

An interesting modern horror book with a sprinkling of apocalyptic cultish thinking and paranoia.

Oisin Fagan's Hostages.

A series of novella and short stories. The first story is about a bomb that is born, lives and dies in a secondary school in country Meath, another accounts for family history of the Costelloes from the middle ages to the start of the revolution in 2144. Great stuff. I've enjoyed a lot of new writing recently but this is the pinnacle so far. Inventive and entertaining, funny and scathing too. A writer worth looking out for.

Chernobyl - history of a tragedy by Serhii Plokhy.

A detailed account of the lead up to the accident and the aftermath, and how the political dimension affected how the disaster was handled. Really interesting book - definitely worth reading.

This. Last of the (10 book) series. Tbh, I felt the last couple of books lost the momentum a wee bit (so many characters being introduced) but I've soldiered on...

latest

Chav Solidarity by D. Hunter. It's very good, you can read exerpts here:

https://www.chavsolidarity.com/

To the political left Hunter's people are the ignorant and the ill informed, to the victorious right they are the unwashed and discarded waste product of the labouring class. Chav Solidarity is part autobiography, part meditation on trauma, class and identity, part one finger salute into the face of respectability politics, but mostly an articulation of the contradictory heart of Chavvy shit heads across the U.K.

This collection of essay's pick apart the lived experiences of its author. Hunter uses his experiences as child sex worker, teenage crack addict, violent thug and community activist to examine the ways in which our classed experiences shape the ways in which we think and do our politics.

he isn't quite the writer Erickson is but they are good enough. Kharkanas is...dark, broody. All the long dark introspective tiste andii musings etc

Does that have the two moody necromancers in it? Can't remember the names off the top of my head but they were an amusing diversion a couple of books back...

Does that have the two moody necromancers in it? Can't remember the names off the top of my head but they were an amusing diversion a couple of books back...

bauchelaine and korbal broach, no. Its set long before that. I honestly can't recommend, its too dark and 'epic', its only 2 books in (and I suspect the third will never come, Eriksons talked about how he didn't enjoy writing these. Contractual obligation? I think so. e2a this says its 'on hold' )

absoultely make time for IAn C.E though, his prequels series (Path to Ascendancy) showing the rise of kellanved and dancer is *kisses fingers*

Last edited:
Chav Solidarity by D. Hunter. It's very good, you can read exerpts here:

https://www.chavsolidarity.com/

To the political left Hunter's people are the ignorant and the ill informed, to the victorious right they are the unwashed and discarded waste product of the labouring class. Chav Solidarity is part autobiography, part meditation on trauma, class and identity, part one finger salute into the face of respectability politics, but mostly an articulation of the contradictory heart of Chavvy shit heads across the U.K.

This collection of essay's pick apart the lived experiences of its author. Hunter uses his experiences as child sex worker, teenage crack addict, violent thug and community activist to examine the ways in which our classed experiences shape the ways in which we think and do our politics.

Yeah I really want to read this.

Working my way through the Last Kingdom books at the moment.

The Adventurous Young Rascals of Rosignol by Johnny L Zainul.

It's my friend's uncle's book, about his childhood in Guiana in the 50s. My friend did the running around organising and Uncle Johnny wrote it.

It's written with a real joie de vivre and enthusiasm- it has at least one exclamation mark every paragraph.
I'm very much enjoying it, and I make it a point to read published books by pals. Think he's having trouble getting word out there and sales are slow- although the Guiana embassy have just put up a poster for him.

The Adventurous Young Rascals of Rosignol https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1785453726/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_g0-4CbFZBE9A8

I've finally dusted of Dan Jones tome, the Templars. I was expecting it to be heavy going. It's an easy read about a wealthy, controlling, blood thirsty group of religious bigots. Nearly finished the first section which mostly deals with their formation. A surprisingly easy but very informative read. Could rank as one of my best ever reads.
The Templars by Dan Jones | Waterstones

Rising out of hatred: the awakening of a former white nationalist by Eli Saslow.

The tale of Derek Black who was born to a family at the heart of American white nationalism (his father ran st*rmfront) and how he realised that everything he'd believed was nasty, hateful and shit.

The most interesting part was discussing the rise of Trump and how he adopted the language and concerns of white nationalists.

I managed 4 books on holiday last week. Was pure bliss. The stand out book was ‘the devil all the time’ by Donald Ray Pollock that I thought would make a great film & today I found it will be a film released next year!

Just picked up a very cheap edition of Edith Durham's High Albania.

If it's as good as Rebecca West's Black Lamb and Grey Falcon I'm in store for a treat. I'm not usually into travelogues.

Almost finished the Reggie Perrin trilogy. Nearly put it down a few times because oh my fucking LORD the casual racism and sexism are just gobsmacking, but I've continued with it because some of the books are really funny and thought-provoking. Fuck me though, wouldn't be recommending it to anyone!

Still working through The Last Kingdom series. Book 3 down and pretty good.

Also I've been listening to Audiobooks when I sleep or am doing stuff around the house:

Alan Partridge - Nomad. Absolutely perfect for an audiobook. Thought it lost its way with the last few chapters, but really enjoyed it overall. I did have the book but never read it as it needs Coogans delivery.

Listening to Harry Potter - Prisoner of Azkaban too as it's something I've read a million times and I don't think I'd Re-read it now due to there being too many other things out there.

Got David Mitchell's audio book for when I'm traveling.

Think I'll mainly stick to books I've read previously and light-hearted audio books.

Going to get DH Hunters - Chav Solidarity book for when I go away too.

Back
Top Bottom