Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

*What book are you reading? (part 2)

Am currently reading "Hitman Anders & the Meaning of it all" by Jonas Jonasson. Same author as The Girl that saved the King of Sweden & the 100 year old man who did a bunk.

There is a lot more humour in the last couple of books. 7 8 & 9 are a bit boring though. I have done it thrice. :oops:
reasons I can't face anther go through that are not 'theres too much new stuff to read':
Nynaeve's braid tugging and a million other jordantropes

How long it takes to power everyone up. I know some build up is needed and you couldn't have rand just throwing deathgates around in book one but fuck me, its a saga in itself just getting Egwene to Amrylin position.

Characters who should have died or gone away yet never do e.g Thom Merrilin

Almost all perrin ayabara subplots should have been sacrificed in order to spend more time with matt cauthons guerilla/irregulars force

After malazan Book of The Fallen I demand my fantasy epics include hi explosives and better war.

I might re read the last one at some point tho!

About a third of the way through this atm
51Bxhv0bwdL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

It's brilliant, he breaks stuff down into simple analogies (firing a bow & arrow through slats in a fence to measure light's polarisation; electrons bouncing round a pinball machine where you win either a car or a goat :D) that you don't need any science knowledge to understand. Really interesting too.

Started reading Diary of a Bookseller by Shaun Bythell last night. Had reserved it at the library on the strength of what Voley had said about it. About a third of the way through and enjoying it so far :)

Eternity's Sunrise: The Imaginative World of William Blake by Leo Damrosch.

Beautifully written with a great insight into Blake, his life, poetry, art and imagination...And his philosophy of life.
Beautiful quality colour plates and illustrations. 100 in all.
I enjoyed Peter Ackroyd's biography of Blake. Cannae remember much about it though, except he was constantly on the cadge to various patrons for funding to keep and body and soul together. Oh and sitting outside his house with his wife... in the nip.

I enjoyed Peter Ackroyd's biography of Blake. Cannae remember much about it though, except he was constantly on the cadge to various patrons for funding to keep and body and soul together. Oh and sitting outside his house with his wife... in the nip.

Speaking of Ackroyd, I'd like to read his biography of Alfred Hitchcock. Have you read it?

Battle for the Falklands by Hitler Hastings

For such a tory tubthumper, his account of the competing historical claims for the islands is surprisingly balanced

Just starting How To Be Right In A World Gone Wrong by James O'Brien of LBC
Be interested to see what you think. I listen to him on LBC when he's not talking about Brexit - so not that much. Its not that i disagree with him, its just that i cannot bear to hear any more about it.

His book got a bit of a shoeing in the Guardian, who described him as a bully and a show off, and that a lot of his book is transcriptions of his LBC phone calls

Be interested to see what you think. I listen to him on LBC when he's not talking about Brexit - so not that much. Its not that i disagree with him, its just that i cannot bear to hear any more about it.

His book got a bit of a shoeing in the Guardian, who described him as a bully and a show off, and that a lot of his book is transcriptions of his LBC phone calls
Only got it today but I will update.

I hope he does a book about Mystery Hour :)

I'm reading a bio of James Angleton (CIA chief from BITD) Called 'Ghost'. He admired and met Ezra pound in his youth, heh. Says he met Philby first in '44 which iirc was when philby was already working for the other side, I had it in my head that he was turned in the spanish civil war.

Lonesome Dove - Larry McMurtry
Enjoying this, it's a couple of years since I read the first two and good to get back to the characters. He has a deceptively easy style that suddenly becomes quite gritty and incisive on the politics and culture of the time. His writing has a great rhythm. Quite satisfying to read a long book which will likely prevent me from reaching my target in the annual reading thread and not really caring because it's more important to enjoy reading.

I do have to avoid the tendency to hear the narration out loud in that good old boy, home on the range, pally southern drawl many old cowboy movies used to employ. Always found that mildly annoying, but have managed so far to put it aside. Some books I want to finish and some like this could happily go on forever.

Grimm's Fairy Tales - Brothers Grimm

Short tales compiled by the brothers from Germanic folklore. Kind of repetitive, plot-wise but hey, literature.

Lonesome Dove - Larry McMurtry
Enjoying this, it's a couple of years since I read the first two and good to get back to the characters. He has a deceptively easy style that suddenly becomes quite gritty and incisive on the politics and culture of the time. His writing has a great rhythm. Quite satisfying to read a long book which will likely prevent me from reaching my target in the annual reading thread and not really caring because it's more important to enjoy reading.

I do have to avoid the tendency to hear the narration out loud in that good old boy, home on the range, pally southern drawl many old cowboy movies used to employ. Always found that mildly annoying, but have managed so far to put it aside. Some books I want to finish and some like this could happily go on forever.
Love love LOVE this book, so fucking much :cool::cool::cool::cool: As does marty21 :thumbs:

Knocking on Heaven's Door by Lisa Randall - my mum bought it for me. It's about CERN and the LHC, though published just before they found the Higg's Boson.

I've just finished Chris Packham's Fingers in the Sparkle Jar which I really liked and really resonated with my experiences of having (undiagnosed) High Functioning Autism - the obsessions, the incomprehension about how other people think and feel. Also great on the nature stuff.

I'm now about to start to re-read Good Omens before the TV series starts on Amazon. I also want to finish a book of Blake's poetry and Thoreau's Walden Pond as I'm half-way through both.

Just finished Richard Morgans pastiche of himself in 'Thin Air'. Excellent Get Carter reference 'you're a big man and your in shape, but with me its on a helix level'.

currently on: Why Marx Was Right by terry eagleton which is ok

Last edited:
Still reading Stalingrad by Anthony Beevor. Struck by the incessant monstrous brutalities on both sides. Fuck me. But also slightly hysterically cheered by the bloody-mindedness and resourcefulness of the Russians :cool:

Back
Top Bottom