Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What are you listening to right now? v2.0

Remember reading an interview with Coil back in the 80s where they talk about 'pop' music that transcends its origins, with reference to Seasons in the Sun. Same principle here (imo)... although it's nothing to do with Coil, Terry Jacks etc, but let's not be lazy thinkers here....

Anna Fridberg had her first album released by (I think) Warner Germany when she was 19. Then with her band did a 5-track EP of pure fire in 2020 since when nothing (physical anyway but check her new(ish) one Never Paying Rent). Cool video too. :cool:

For years now DR has been using this unique reverb that gives her voice this dreamlike quality - really distinctive feature of her style. :cool:

Also - it is teh ARTS and veh sexay at the same time :oops:

A strange and unsmiling young man who appears to have no idea of what humour might be. Production on this makes your average synthwave track sound like Jonathan Richman aged 15 with a head cold recording a whiny tune in his bedroom on a Binatone. Also, the casting in the video is :cool:

Yuk. But v clever. Hints of Beethoven or similar in the chord progressions here and there. Annoys me precisely because I rate it and it's deliberately designed to be confrontational (music & video).

Prefer this hyperactive video tbh. From a very nice album of 80s French library music - but this is the track that does it for me, and whoever made the video has a similar understanding of the music to me, so I like it!

Danish sisters, Prisma (43) on Discogs, so not the most original band name but the music roxx0rs properly. Very high RQ (rollicking quotient). Rollicks like a truly rollicky thing. Also, I reckon I can hear chilly uplifting Scandic fire in the production. Way it ends always makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. :cool:

Reminds me of a band called Thule signed to Rough Trade shop label Wiiija back in the early 90s. Which is a very good thing to be reminded of, indeed.

PS - Looking at Youtube these guys' band appears to be tight af - really like to see them live. :cool:

Signed to Sub Pop apparently - hope they hype the fuck out of her coz based on this, she's another true original, in a lubbly way! 🥰

(Also, nice vid etc.)

e2a: Not to be confused with English band waterbaby who are also :cool: but not Friday night sounds imo.

Inna 90s stylee... been playing the shit out of this the last few weeks... think they're from Denmark too - yay for algorithms etc. Belter of a transposition @ 1:59, also cool vid etc. :cool:

Love to see this lot live - he's got a brilliant band, drummer makes Jaki Liebzeit look (sound?) like ... I dunno... John Bonham or summink. Wevs, I'm a big fan of Mr d'Ecco, really fab songwriter who deliberately mucks about in the borders between first 3 Eno albums and subsequent new wave, mixing 'em up in a magical way. 🤩

Buddy Holly 3rd February 1959

Swear it was carnage for the early rock and rollers. Those that didn't meet accidents developed serious drug problems. The Beatles turn up five years later playing it back to them. With great talent and creativity of course. What might have been.

Richie Valens 3rd February 1959

Eddie Cochran 17th April 1960

RIP 😍🥰

Back
Top Bottom