Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Wearing 4" heels

I have a pair of boots with 4" heels that look good but I cannot walk far in them and I tend to totter a bit. They make me have to walk almost on tippy toe. I'd love to wear them for general use but I don't want to look clumsy all the time.

A question for those who wear them a lot - is it a case of practise makes perfect or should I just wear them occasionally, at clubs, etc?

Wear them a lot, get used to them. Wear them around the house first to practise then on short journeys.

It's when you stop wearing heels for a but you get out of the habit - I've been living in my trainers recently and now when I try and put nice shoes on they wreck.

I'm wearing them now. I've tried going all day in them before but have knackered my leg muscles so gave up the experiment but if my legs do eventually get used to them after repeated days indoors with them then it'll be worth it. :)

(Reads Geri's post) - or maybe not every day then.

Well, if your leg muscles get shortened as a result then you may find it very painful to go back to wearing flats.

I've found if I have to wear heels, those clear gel sticky pads (you get them in Boots and Superdrug) are brilliant - they stop you from getting a burning pain in the soles of your feet, so you can wear your heels for longer.

I've found if I have to wear heels, those clear gel sticky pads (you get them in Boots and Superdrug) are brilliant - they stop you from getting a burning pain in the soles of your feet, so you can wear your heels for longer.

Good idea, I'll have to get some of those.

I do normally wear heels when out and about but normal sized ones, I'm guessing 2"-ers? So I am used to them to a certain extent.

As long as you're not wearing them all the time and actually do other things, like exercise, including stretches there's no reason you'll faff up your leg muscles. I've been wearing heels of varying sizes since my teens and my muscles are fine :D I don't wear 4" ones often or for long anymore though. Getting too old ;)

I didn't find the gel pads that great so maybe they're better for some folk?

Thinking about it, I managed to cycle, walk, and even run short distances very comfortably in a pair of 4" heels one winter, in spite of that being rather high for size 5 feet.

Mind you, the heels were v blocky, and the uppers were quite a thick soft leather. Was also spending at least half an hour every day on my toes during dance practice, so that probably helped.

i never wore anything but combat boots and trainers right through to my 30s so i'm new to heels but it hasn't taken that long to adjust. my most recent purchase are 5" wedges, but they have a 2" platform and they feel positively comfortable :)

the trick ime is less about leg muscles - although they do take a while to adjust - and more about balance. if you have a tendency to arch your back/tilt your pelvis forwards when you walk you will totter. tilting your pelvis back (in yoga they describe it as tucking your tailbone under) and kind of leading with your hips works for me, if that makes any sense. i think (trying to visualise) that way my heel still hits first rather walking on tippy toes like you describe. it's as much the way heels alter your walk as what they look like that makes them attractive i think.

i still wouldn't wear 4" heels for anything other than special occasions though, 2-3" wedges are fine for everyday for me. but some shoes are just more comfortable/better balanced than others - e.g. anything like boots and things that are securely fastened to your feet are easier than flimsy things, thicker heels and wedges are easier than thinner heels, and anything that has a turn up at the toe are also easier for me.

Tbh I wear heels a lot and I don't reckon 4 inch are great for day to day. If you're walking elegantly in 4 inch you're probably taking quite small steps and working your hips, and it's not really rushable (or is that just me? :D). I mean fuckit there are busses to catch and kids to chase and shops to stride round. Save the 4 inchers for when you mean business ;)

Back
Top Bottom