Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Washing dry-clean only fabric: what's the worst that can happen?

teuchter

je suis teuchter
I have some seat cushion covers, made from a version of this material, which is marked as dry clean only:

Some of these have had things like red wine spilt on them, by people who are not me I would like to add, in the past, and dry cleaning doesn't get this out.

So - I am inclined to try and wash them in water - probably quite cautiously to start with, with cold water and minimal cleaning stuff. What's the worst that's likely to happen - and is it worse than having something with a five year old red wine stain on it? For example, might they shrink, or something?

I have some seat cushion covers, made from a version of this material, which is marked as dry clean only:

Some of these have had things like red wine spilt on them, by people who are not me I would like to add, in the past, and dry cleaning doesn't get this out.

So - I am inclined to try and wash them in water - probably quite cautiously to start with, with cold water and minimal cleaning stuff. What's the worst that's likely to happen - and is it worse than having something with a five year old red wine stain on it? For example, might they shrink, or something?
A 5 year old stain isn't going anywhere. Just live with it.

Have you tried spray on foam upholstery cleaner? You leave it on for over half an hour and sponge it off.

If you do decide to wash them make sure you put them back on the cushions while they are still damp / wet. This stops shinkage. Ideally you would do this on a sunny day and leave the cushions in their covers out to dry.

What is the mechanism by which they will be ruined, pls.
The one you link to is a mix of 4 fibres, which might all react differently to immersion in water and subsequent drying. Might wrinkle, shrink, fray, lose 'body', or discolour, and remove fire retardant. But is that what yours are actually made of? You say 'a version of'?

If dry cleaning hasn't removed the stains, it's probably baked them in a little more, so they might be even more difficult to remove now. But what have you got to lose? :hmm:

On the one hand there are quite a lot of things that the manufacturers mark as dry clean only because they can't be bothered to test the washability.

On the other hand the fabric you link to has quite a lot of viscose in it which is notorious for shrinking.

The one you link to is a mix of 4 fibres, which might all react differently to immersion in water and subsequent drying. Might wrinkle, shrink, fray, lose 'body', or discolour, and remove fire retardant. But is that what yours are actually made of? You say 'a version of'?

If dry cleaning hasn't removed the stains, it's probably baked them in a little more, so they might be even more difficult to remove now. But what have you got to lose? :hmm:
Does anyone remember the days when you got 'Dabitoff'? It contained trichloroethylene which is bloody toxic.

Thanks, that's useful to understand.

Yes, it's exactly that material, just in a different colour. And it had a fire retardent treatment applied to it.

Back
Top Bottom