Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

VR headset Oculus Rift

grit

an ugly force for good
Just spent 4 hours this morning listening to John Carmack talk about the future and in particular VR headsets. He has partnered with a really interesting guy who has just started a kickstarter for essentially the greatest VR headset that has ever been produced so far.

Still very much a developer toy, however the possibilities are spectacular for the next few years. Its the first bit of hardware that has gotten me excited in years... and the dev kit is only 300 dollars :D

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1523379957/oculus-rift-step-into-the-game

I am VERY excited about this. Immersive VR is exactly the sort of shot in the arm that the creatively stagnant games industry needs.

This is the most impressive bit, as that's where 'affordable' VR rigs tend to fall down.
That, and the very low latency are what makes this a game changer. I remember trying VR the last time it was cool and it was obvious you were looking through a tiny rectangle at a scene that lagged behind your head movements.

Wearing the Rift apparently feels like you're "really there". Carmack talks about bending down to touch the floor and there being no sensory disconnect between the real thing he's touching and the virtual thing he's seeing. The possibilities are very exciting :)

This technology is being used for a silly purpose, but it could be a good match with Good VR Headsets.

Fully 3D force feedback with multiple "virtual objects"

http://www.oculusvr.com/blog/john-carmack-joins-oculus-as-cto/
John Carmack has joined Oculus as chief techology officer. This is excellent news.
My hype needle for the Rift has been pushed hard in the red ever since I first read about it.
I got round to trying it out at Rezzed a month ago and while it has rough edges as a dev kit, the feeling of immersion is absolutely incredible. The 3D for close-up objects is utterly convincing.

It won't be long before someone creates a murder simulator (or worse) and the Wail is up in arms about this new breed of dangerous video games.

very slim

What makes you say that? Have Oculus said anything about it themselves? Just was just kind of assuming that it would be, as they are releasing it to developers so it is kind of up to them if any next gen titles will be be compatible wouldn't it?

Console manufacturers exert a significant amount of control over what is available for those platforms. Deals would need to be done to provide support. The Oculus Rift FAQ is therefore non-committal about this stuff, merely expressing hope.
Will the Oculus Rift developer kit work with my Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, or next gen console?

Not yet. The Oculus Rift developer kit will target PC-only. We hope to make the headset compatible with major consoles and mobile devices in the future.

if it was a hit, no doubt we'd see Sony and Microsoft developing their own versions of it like we did with Kinnekt and Move following the Wii's success with motion controllers.

I tried the Oculus Rift Virtual Reality headset last night, it was kinda cool.. any suggestions for things to watch/play on it?

if it was a hit, no doubt we'd see Sony and Microsoft developing their own versions of it like we did with Kinnekt and Move following the Wii's success with motion controllers.
Pretty strong rumours that Sony has had one in the works for some time now. Might be unveiled at CES in January...

Back
Top Bottom