Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Volcano and Earthquake watch

I saw a chopper on one of the webcams earlier, hope that means we will see some suitable footage.
will link if I find some.

Yeah the coast guard helicopters first pass. Think they were maybe too soon on that pass to see the full extent of the fissures though, though I havent seen any footage myself yet.

Meanwhile on some of the cams the rapid movement of lava rivers is now more apparent.

Its expanded to the south during its first hour of life. Unless Im misinterpreting the images, it ended up cutting right through the splatter cone from the previous eruption.

Interesting angle on it from this cam too, can see a fair few rivers of lava if look closely (video thumbnail for this stream is misleading, actual view is quite different):

Newsreaders nightmare that name.

Lava flow might have reached the road near the town. This webcam isnt very good quality but looks like it burnt something that is now smouldering, maybe a power line or something.

Have to look extra closely to see the lava rivers in daylight, including on feed mentioned in my last post, and there isnt much in the way of dark night for Iceland at this time of year.

Looks like its even crossed the loop road that they setup in this area to go around the defences.

Judging by some of the smoke its looping back towards the edge of town now that its got past that area I was just discussing.

This feed has occasionally zoomed into particular areas of interest and it was indeed power cables burning.

eg:

power.png

found this ...

The eighth eruption on the Reykjanes peninsula in the past three years started today at 12:46. Here you can see the first five minutes of the eruption in 30 seconds.​

[my edge beta is set up to auto translating Icelandic into English]

One section has gone dirty.

View attachment 426495
I suspect that's because the magma / lava has met a decent supply of groundwater - the result is tephra / ash - and the eruption could get explosive.

I gather from RUV.is reports that one lava flow is heading towards open water ... although is still a long way from the sea.

e2a - the fissure was about 4km at it's greatest length, but seems to have shrunk down to about half that by the evening.

Checked the webcams ... still doing, although the fissure has shrunk a bit. However, there's a lot of lava - looks like some of it is going west of Grindavik [would like an updated map, I think that'll happen shortly].

Yeah there is some water sitting around to the west of the town too, before the sea, so what you are saying all fits together. And this area follows on from my earlier commentary about it getting beyond a loop road on that side of town.

However in terms of dramatic new possibilities unfolding I had already lost interest by last night, as things seemed to be slowing down again, to the extent tthat I wasnt sure the lava in that area would travel much further.

Yeah there is some water sitting around to the west of the town too, before the sea, so what you are saying all fits together. And this area follows on from my earlier commentary about it getting beyond a loop road on that side of town.

However in terms of dramatic new possibilities unfolding I had already lost interest by last night, as things seemed to be slowing down again, to the extent tthat I wasnt sure the lava in that area would travel much further.
The current problem with that westward flow is that it could get too close to a communications mast used by the USA. I think I could see a protective berm on the webcam, hopefully it'll be OK.
I did note that several roads are now under lava flows and the roads administration has closed off all of the others.

Map I was hoping for here [update for 30 May 2024]

e2a - that map was compiled after just four hours of the eruption !

quote " The photogrammetry team of the Icelandic Institute of Natural History and the National Land Survey of Iceland has processed data from an aerial survey conducted about four hours after the eruption began, along with satellite images. Based on this data, it is seen that the area of the lava field was 8.7 km² and the volume 24 million m³ at 17:06 of May 29. "

Last edited:
Boo hissssssssssss

There's some volcanic [?] fog stopping the viewing for most of the webcams when I checked this morning.
I could just detect activity on the Hagafell cam, and the view is a bit clearer on the mbl.is feed.

Seems the activity is coalescing into individual vents, I'm expecting the flows to thicken somewhat even if they don't spread out much more, which will depend on how much more magma is discharged ... Although the temperature & constituents seem similar to previous eruptions, I know that magma settles differentially between eruptions, so I'm speculating the first phase could be the hot / light [less viscous] fractions and the later phase could be somewhat more viscous if the eruption goes on long enough to get down the supply chamber [and it's erupting faster than the recharge rate] ...

The info with the map I referenced above says that Svartsengi deflated by 15cm [!] at the start of the eruption. will be interesting to find out if that continues or if there is evidence of the magma chamber starting to re-charge, as happened previously.

Having a quick look back at the webcams for the overnight footage and it would appear that at least one of the larger spatter cones that are building up around the remaining sections of activity [coalescing as vents] from that long fissure suffered several collapses events. Quite a large section fell into the interior about 05h00 [3rd June 2024], which was captured by several of the feeds.

The main info from Hawaii so far is where and when the warning earthquakes happened, and some very dodgy oldschool webcam footage that demonstrates that an eruption occurred.

13 days and just the one active vent.
Can't see anything on the webcams atm - probably related to their weather conditions and possibly "volcanic smog"

I see they used bulldozers and water spraying to slow down a narrow band of lava that escaped the pond and overtopped a protective wall recently. It was only slow moving but they are sensitive about anything that could encroach on the power plant, understandably.

Depends if an unseen below surface tube system is feeding flows further away from the spatter cone that people are used to looking at.

eg if something is feeding the flow that they are still tackling that is too close to the power plant for their liking, necessitating additional wall construction and some water spraying.

By the way, the geologist in that previous video I posted got the wrong location for that activity, they corrected this near the start of their latest update.

Back
Top Bottom