Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Very dull hoover thread

weepiper

I fix the machines that fight climate change
I have struggled with the crappiest hoover in the world for far too long :mad: and I've got some money to spend for once so can anyone recommend a reasonably priced hoover that isn't crappy? Probably an upright rather than a cylinder one as the whole 5 bedroom flat is carpeted. No animals but 5 people and 10 bikes live here so it's going to have a hard life. If anyone in similar circumstances has a hoover that hasn't tragically lost its suck I'm all ears.

Henry and Miele are the usual recommendations. We have both, although not uprights, and they're both good.

My Miele (not upright) has been amazing for 12 years. At the time I got it they were pretty much all top rated at Which?

Eta...and is still going strong. Wouldn’t hesitate to get another.

I got a 16 YO Dyson. It sucks... No seriously though, it hoovers stuff up OK but the crappy plastic body. Well it's lost a few bits. And there's a hole in the hose but I taped it up. I'm gonna get a Henry one day.

I have a Henry, I don't use it often because I'm lazy, someone told me they work fine without a bag so that is how I have been using it, seems ok, then someone else told me the motors don't last so long without a bag so I am considering using them again.

My ex has a sort of long and thin cordless Dyson which seems a bit cheap and nasty but it does suck and cordless is nice. It sits on the wall in its charging cradle thingy ready to go, it is convenient I have to say.

I have struggled with the crappiest hoover in the world for far too long :mad: and I've got some money to spend for once so can anyone recommend a reasonably priced hoover that isn't crappy? Probably an upright rather than a cylinder one as the whole 5 bedroom flat is carpeted. No animals but 5 people and 10 bikes live here so it's going to have a hard life. If anyone in similar circumstances has a hoover that hasn't tragically lost its suck I'm all ears.

People have alluded to this already, just to clarify, is it a new Hoover which you seek or a new vacuum?

I have a Henry, which I got on the recommendation of this place. I have to say he and I are not best of friends. I find it unwieldy and awkward to use and store. And the hose keeps unscrewing itself from the nose mid-use. I have to stop to screw it back on every time I use it.

The sad truth is, vacuuming is not a fun activity, and whatever the promises of the manufacturers, their products will not remove the mundane drudgery from the task.

But don’t get a Henry. Uprights are much easier to use and store.

We have a Henry - the cord is extremely long which might be useful in a big flat. I don’t have the issue of bits coming off like Danny but storage can be a pain.

My friends bought a Shark cordless when they moved house and I remember them saying they loved it!

I have a Henry, which I got on the recommendation of this place. I have to say he and I are not best of friends. I find it unwieldy and awkward to use and store. And the hose keeps unscrewing itself from the nose mid-use. I have to stop to screw it back on every time I use it.

The sad truth is, vacuuming is not a fun activity, and whatever the promises of the manufacturers, their products will not remove the mundane drudgery from the task.

But don’t get a Henry. Uprights are much easier to use and store.

How dare you diss Henry. :mad:

Good point. My amazing Miele is a 2000 watter from before then.
Don’t know how they’d compare now.
I have one of those, 2200W. I believe in new models they basically just improved the efficiency, so roughly the same airflow and suction with less consumption, proving the regulations right.

I wonder if we were 20 years younger in the current climate but it actually was 1999 would majority of us have burned our dyson products now in protest?

Anyway. I have a Vax upright and it’s great. I would actually recommend getting a ‘pet’ model regardless as they seem better at getting right into the carpets and pulling out all the crap.

There’s been adverts on the telly box this weekend for vax deals so probably worth looking directly in site.

Also a good time to buy. Prime day on amazon tomorrow and Tuesday so lots of other places trying to undercut and get in early. Curry’s have some offers on and I actually find their prices quite competitive to be honest.

Otherwise wait for Black Friday week if you can wait that long and as long as you don’t just jump straight into the first thing you see on offer you will find yourself a bargain. Again I got mine couple years back in a curry’s Black Friday sale it was barely £100, Think it’s RRP was closer to £250. was no doubt stock they were trying to get rid off but vacuums ain’t the same as phones and computers, if you can find a good model at a good price, grab it. it still works great and gets all the cats fur up.

Admittedly I did have to travel to another city 15 miles up the m6 as the local ones had sold out by the time I made my mind up.

We’ve got a Miele upright. Had it about 8 years now I think and it’s still brilliant. Ours is a pet one which you won’t need.

Henry gets my vote. efficient and quiet, the latter especially important.

e2a - we've had a range of uprights and others, both domestically and in a workshop.

We had two Dyson that fell apart don’t try them. No got this Morphy Richards Supervac, cordless, light and a good suck!! Would recommend.

9391C039-B1F4-4413-A4FA-737D6FC96015.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom