Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Vegetarian curry, not with chickpeas

In my curry making experience the main thing I've learnt is less is more - unless you know what you're doing, chucking 12 random spices in rarely turns out brilliantly.

Definitely this. I've always tended to overdo spices, but am trying to be a bit more sparing and systematic about them these days. I do wish I understood a bit more about them, though, in terms of how different combinations of them work, coupled with what other ingredients they go with best. I really ought to try and read up on this a bit more and get experimenting, so I've just downloaded that Lord Krishna's Cuisine book. Thanks for the link Part 2! :cool:

We're not massively keen on chick peas (other than in hummus) so I am not sure I've ever included them in a veggie curry! I particularly like split yellow peas - good texture when cooked.

It's a bit pricey and sometimes hard to get hold of, but if you can get a copy of 'Lord Krishna's Cuisine, the Art of Indian Vegetarian Cooking' by Yamuna Devi then you'll never need to eat the same curry twice. My mum, who is a lifelong vegetarian always had a copy, so I got one when Mrs Loop went veggie, it's got amazing simple stuff to do with individual veggies, but I've been doing more adventurous stuff like making my own paneer and then deep-frying it in crispy batter.

Really good book, I bought it because of this recommendation. The mint pea paneer was delicious just now :thumbs:

Beetroot might be hard to get in a small Asda but the may have the vacuum packed stuff which i think would do for this.

I recently had Halloumi curry with cashews and cauliflower. Works very much like paneer.

I made both of these this evening, and they were both excellent. I chucked some cashews in the halloumi one which worked very well.

Also did this one and can highly recommend.

I made both of these this evening, and they were both excellent. I chucked some cashews in the halloumi one which worked very well.

Also did this one and can highly recommend.

I've done the beetroot one with paneer which is also really nice. Tofu looks nice and easy, I'll give it a go.

I recently had Halloumi curry with cashews and cauliflower. Works very much like paneer.

Hairy Bikers Muttar Paneer is a good easy one if you can find the recipe.
And I think generally flats are less of a security worry. I'd feel pretty comfortable just leaving mine for a few months... No alarm or anything.

Clearly this is not an immediate concern mind you.
Did the creamy halloumi last night. Bloody lovely.

Definitely this. I've always tended to overdo spices, but am trying to be a bit more sparing and systematic about them these days. I do wish I understood a bit more about them, though, in terms of how different combinations of them work, coupled with what other ingredients they go with best. I really ought to try and read up on this a bit more and get experimenting, so I've just downloaded that Lord Krishna's Cuisine book. Thanks for the link Part 2! :cool:
This is brilliant.

Back
Top Bottom