Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

US celeb Hilary Duff attacks photographer online for taking photos at football game

We don't I think know where this football match was taking place.Was it on school premises or in a public park.Obviously if it was the former the guy was bang out of order,if it was a public park then there is an element of volenti non fit injuria isn't there..You must expect that in a public park there will be strangers i.e members of the public taking pictures and your child might therefore be in shot.If you can't handle that keep them at home.This is massively precious imo. As editor pointed out this guy offered i.d and as he himself pointed out he was acting within the law.He doesn't have to prove to the twats on instagram that he is not a paedophile and to assume otherwise on that evidence is indeed more than a bit bonkers.
This is more than that. It's taking pics of the game specifically. And where else are your kids going to play football other than on a public park? I think it's massively precious of a photographer to expect to be able to take photos of whomever they like.

"Nobody should be taking photos of other people's children without express permission. It may not be illegal but it's noncey as fuck."

I took photos of other people's chldren without express permission. I posted them. So I am a nonce eh?

Answer me you coward.
I've already expressed my opinion. You don't have to like it or agree with it.

And again, you seem to be confusing noncey behaviour with being a nonce.

This is more than that. It's taking pics of the game specifically. And where else are your kids going to play football other than on a public park? I think it's massively precious of a photographer to expect to be able to take photos of whomever they like.
If you really feel that strongly about it you should be campaigning to change the relevant law.The middle classes don't half give themself airs.

She asked him twice, politely, to stop taking photos of the children. Instead of saying fine, it was just for photography practice but I'll stop, he argues back, as if he's going to keep on taking photos when he's explicitly been asked not to.

He's an arsehole. Would any of you photographers on here behave the same way? You'd actually continue arguing for your right to take photos of someone's seven year old when they asked you not to? Surely not.

There are always going to be issues where someone might not want to be in a photo, and I'm a big proponent of photographers being sensible and respectful when doing public photography (some "street photographers" are right shits, and there's an industry that encourages that, though that's a different issue) but that is not the same as saying that taking any photos of children means you're probably a paedo and should be shunned and arrested.

Good thing nobody's said that then. And no, saying it's noncey behaviour is not the same thing.

I'm not sure why you're posting your photos of older teenagers at a demonstration. They're not really relevant to taking photos of young kids at a football game.

Loads of people take pictures of the kids having kickabouts by the stands at Dulwich Hamlet. It documents the day and shows people that it's a family friendly club. I don't recall anyone complaining.

Lots of people take photos of other people's kids kicking a ball around? Er, why? I can understand a match photographer doing it, but why would "lots" of people want random photos of someone else's kids doing something very ordinary? Are you sure these people aren't actually the kids' parents?

If you really feel that strongly about it you should be campaigning to change the relevant law.The middle classes don't half give themself airs.
What a moronic thing to say. This has nothing to do with airs. Regarding not taking pictures when asked not to, it has mostly to do with not being a total arsehole. You want to hide behind the law if the law allows you to act like a total arsehole? That would be the response of a total arsehole tbh. Not that it's the right thing to do, but that it's legal.

I suppose it is coherent but it's just rubbish, as has been indicated by many counter-examples. Tell me that one is wrong.

are you really sure you're talking to me?

there's not been one example posted of an occasion where it would be appropriate for someone to take pictires of other peoples children without their parents consent.

perhaps you should start again..?

there's not been one example posted of an occasion where it would be appropriate for someone to take pictires of other peoples children without their parents consent.
Yes there has - the photos I've taken to record the days happenings at the kite festival.

Yes there has - the photos I've taken to record the days happenings at the kite festival.

Should you not have been concentrating on the kites, not other people's children?

Did you ask parents if you could take close ups/high detail shots of their children?

Did you publish pictures of clearly indentifiable children without their parents permission?

Do you think that images of everyone else just belong to whoever wants to take them?

Do you have any interest in the fact that other people seem to think very differently to you with regards to their images being taken without their permission - or are the views of the lumpen hoardes of no consequence to an amateur photographer like yourself, and that we should just shut up and stand still, or get out of the way, when you require us to?

Do you think that images of everyone else just belong to whoever wants to take them?
This is the bit that pisses me off. People thinking its their god-given right to take photos of others without their permission. Unless it's in the public's interest or people deliberately puts themselves in a position where they should expect to be photographed, nobody should be taking photographs of anybody without their permission, especially not of children.

Should you not have been concentrating on the kites, not other people's children?

Did you ask parents if you could take close ups/high detail shots of their children?

Did you publish pictures of clearly indentifiable children without their parents permission?

Do you have any interest in the fact that other people seem to think very differently to you with regards to their images being taken without their permission - or are the views of the lumpen hoardes of no consequence to an amateur photographer like yourself, and that we should just shut up and stand still, or get out of the way, when you require us to?
I photograph everything to do with the festival. That includes the kites and the people, both adult and children.

No, I don't ask permission, but I do it in full sight of the parents/guardians and in 20 years no-one has ever objected or asked me to stop.

The pictures are on the kite festival website. A few of them are on U75 forum and some are on Brixton Buzz. I can't remember if any of those include children.

Whether you like it or not, that's just how it is.

I'm not an amateur photographer (well maybe I am now as I've just retired). I've been a pro since 1976. And I've never required anyone to shut up, stand still, or get out of the way.

No, I don't ask permission, but I do it in full sight of the parents/guardians and in 20 years no-one has ever objected or asked me to stop.
As with FM's example, your example is very different from the one in the OP. It's not unreasonable to think that a festival will employ someone to take photos to record the event, or even that people attending the event might want to take some photos around the place. Not quite the same as rocking up randomly at an under-8s football match in a park and starting to take photos. Also, you were never asked to stop - this bloke was, and started talking about his legal right to do it when asked to stop, rather than, with as much good grace as he could muster, saying 'sorry, didn't mean to offend, I'll stop now'. Plenty of other things for him to practise his photography on. I also think it was a shitty thing to plaster him all over social media like this, but he doesn't really come out of it well either. All most of us are saying is that photographers shouldn't expect a blanket right to take photos of people in public places.

Nobody should be taking photos of other people's children without express permission. It may not be illegal but it's noncey as fuck.

I’ve taken snaps of my daughter playing rugby with her team and group team photos at end of game which (obviously) have other people’s kids in them.

I’m guessing you have no issue with my example above?

I think you’ve got to look at each situation as it presents itself and the instance in the OP can be argued either way imo - personally I wouldn’t go to a kids sport event where my daughter wasn’t taking part in and take pics but the bloke in the OP seemed legit based on the clip.

I photograph everything to do with the festival. That includes the kites and the people, both adult and children.

The pictures are on the kite festival website. A few of them are on U75 forum and some are on Brixton Buzz. I can't remember if any of those include children.

Whether you like it or not, that's just how it is.

I'm not an amateur photographer (well maybe I am now as I've just retired). I've been a pro since 1976. And I've never required anyone to shut up, stand still, or get out of the way.

If you're taking photos in a public place then some people will have had to get out of the way, whether you asked them to or not. Not everybody wants to potentially have their photo turn up on a website. I generally don't, so if I see a big camera like you presumably have, I get out of the way. (Of course you can still turn up on someone's phone pics, but they're less likely to have professional cred and a site lots of people look at).

But like lbj says, it is a different situation. I bet you'd stop if you were asked to, like this guy was.

I’ve taken snaps of my daughter playing rugby with her team and group team photos at end of game which (obviously) have other people’s kids in them.

I’m guessing you have no issue with my example above?

I think you’ve got to look at each situation as it presents itself and the instance in the OP can be argued either way imo - personally I wouldn’t go to a kids sport event where my daughter wasn’t taking part in and take pics but the bloke in the OP seemed legit based on the clip.
That's a completely different scenario. You had 'a dog in the race', so to speak. But I'm sure you wouldn't just turn up at a random children's event and start snapping pictures of other people's children?

Imagine some stranger turning up at a kids' swimming pool and taking pictures of people's children... and thinking it's OK?

What a moronic thing to say. This has nothing to do with airs. Regarding not taking pictures when asked not to, it has mostly to do with not being a total arsehole. You want to hide behind the law if the law allows you to act like a total arsehole? That would be the response of a total arsehole tbh. Not that it's the right thing to do, but that it's legal.
If he was simply taking photographs whilst standing on the touch-line of a football match that was under way in a municipal park-then whether he was or was not "with someone" had absolutely fuck all to do with her and she should not have expected a grovelling apology and an undertaking to desist- as it seems she did.

Err, on school playing fields?

When the school is closed?

Come on, I know you want to defend this bloke but it's got a bit daft when you're now arguing with someone for saying that kids playing football in a park is normal.

If he was simply taking photographs whilst standing on the touch-line of a football match that was under way in a municipal park-then whether he was or was not "with someone" had absolutely fuck all to do with her and she should not have expected a grovelling apology and an undertaking to desist- as it seems she did.

Try it then. Go to a park where kids play in a mini football team (most large parks at the weekend), stand near the parents and take photos of their kids, then, when a parent asks you to stop, which they probably will if they realise you're not with anyone on the team, don't leave, but argue with them that you have a right to take photos of their child even if they've said no. The principle is that consent is irrelevant and you'll carry on even when asked to stop. You won't at all seem like a dodgy weirdo. I recommend doing this in the roughest area near you.

Try it then. Go to a park where kids play in a mini football team (most large parks at the weekend), stand near the parents and take photos of their kids, then, when a parent asks you to stop, which they probably will if they realise you're not with anyone on the team, don't leave, but argue with them that you have a right to take photos of their child even if they've said no. The principle is that consent is irrelevant and you'll carry on even when asked to stop. You won't at all seem like a dodgy weirdo. I recommend doing this in the roughest area near you.
i.e mob-violence is just fine with you as long as it is directed against anyone you suspect of being a "dodgy-weirdo" whatever that means.It was ironic surely re the "principle of consent" that the woman was taking pictures of the man on the touch-line as she was approaching him-and continued to do so throughout their subsequent conversation.It seems she has now put these photos on-line.If he is clubbed to the ground by vigilantes you would ,it seems,applaud this.

i.e mob-violence is just fine with you as long as it is directed against anyone you suspect of being a "dodgy-weirdo" whatever that means.It was ironic surely re the "principle of consent" that the woman was taking pictures of the man on the touch-line as she was approaching him-and continued to do so throughout their subsequent conversation.It seems she has now put these photos on-line.If he is clubbed to the ground by vigilantes you would ,it seems,applaud this.

Wow, you're good at making up things people haven't said!

Sam recommended that you do this in the roughest area you can, presumably in response partly to your absurd comment about middle class airs. By your logic, finding a nice group of working class parents and their kids, you won't get any bother at all.

You're the one projecting nasty class prejudices here btw, not Sam or me or anyone else.

Yeah right. All those primary schools with their own football pitches. That's a really stupid thing to say, and you know it. Kids join football clubs and they play on parks. You know this.
In America loads of schools have their own sports playing fields actually. But are you against the principle that people can photograph what they like in public places (subject to the obvious restrictions)?

... But are you against the principle that people can photograph what they like in public places (subject to the obvious restrictions)?

I am.

I was out for three hours this morning and took some 200 pictures. I felt no need to take pictures of anything that had the mental capacity to give, or not give, consent to having its image taken.

Back
Top Bottom