Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

URGENT UPDATE: friend coming to the UK - can you check this info is correct?

editor

hiraethified
A friend has asked if I could help clarify this and I'm a bit baffled.

Her friend is booked on the Eurostar to come to London for her friend's Wake tomorrow but she;s got confused about what the Covid procedure is.

This seems to suggest that she must book (and pay for) a PCR test even though she will have left the country after 24 hours. But that would be daft....

1638197907076.png

It reads to me like they can't come. If they do, they would need to isolate for the whole 24 hours which would mean missing the wake.

She almost certainly can't go to the wake (without breaking the rules); if she comes to the UK, she must self-isolate until she has a negative PCR (even if she is double vaccinated); there's very little chance of her getting the result in time, even if she booked a test for the moment she arrives and pays for a quick turnaround.

Last edited:
Reactions: LDC
A friend has asked if I could help clarify this and I'm a bit baffled.

Her friend is booked on the Eurostar to come to London for her friend's Wake tomorrow but she;s got confused about what the Covid procedure is.

This seems to suggest that she must book (and pay for) a PCR test even though she will have left the country after 24 hours. But that would be daft....

View attachment 298700

It is daft. They will need to book (and pay for) a PCR test, but nobody will actually check if they've done it. I watch a French/English FB group, and this seems to be the general advice - book the PCR, but come and go as per. Given that they'll be back in France by day 2, any followup would be meaningless anyway.

They will need to check the French regulations, though - they'll need proof of vaccination and to complete the necessary attestation for their return.

She almost certainly can't go to the wake; if she comes to the UK, she must self-isolate until she has a negative PCR (even if she is double vaccinated); there's very little charge if her getting the result in time, even if she booked a test for the moment she arrives and pays for a quick turnaround.
I don't think she is able to book that test - the rules specifically demand a Day 2 test. I mean, she can do anyway, but it's irrelevant from the travel point of view.

She could just ignore the rules, safe in the knowledge that she's unlikely to get caught, but, given the apparent transmissibiliy of the new strain, and its unknown potency, that's not something I'd do or encourage.

I don't think she is able to book that test - the rules specifically demand a Day 2 test. I mean, she can do anyway, but it's irrelevant from the travel point of view.

It's a test before day 2 isn't it, not on day 2?

E2A: Not sure about that, is slightly unclear to me from that screenshot. Looked at official website which explains it in full and properly.

She could just ignore the rules, safe in the knowledge that she's unlikely to get caught, but, given the apparent transmissibiliy of the new strain, and its unknown potency, that's not something I'd do or encourage.
it's not about you
i am merely pointing it out

What I understand from someone arriving on Friday, is they can take a test on arrival and then have to isolate until they get the results.
Apparently at the airport you can get a fast track test to get the results same day.

Not sure your friend can arrive, get tested and get the results back within 24 hours though.

It seems quite simple to me.

According to the report on the BBC website

From 04:00 GMT on Tuesday, anyone entering the UK will require a PCR test within 48 hours of arrival and will need to self-isolate until they have a negative result (emphasis mine)

So while they're waiting to taking the test, while they're waiting for the result and if necessary while they're taking subsequent tests to achieve a negative result, they need to self isolate and shouldn't be going to a wake or any other gathering.

Unless they can arrive in the UK before 04:00 GMT Tuesday, they can't go.

It's an unfortunate situation, but that's it.

For example, if they travel on Eurostar and then by train to e.g. Wales they won't need to follow the self-isolation requirement while waiting for the PCR test result, because Wales doesn't require that.

For example, if they travel on Eurostar and then by train to e.g. Wales they won't need to follow the self-isolation requirement while waiting for the PCR test result, because Wales doesn't require that.
Do you not have to follow the rules of countries you travel through?

Reactions: Sue
I was concerned that this thread would quickly deteriorate into people trying to find ways of justifying evading the rules to suit someone's convenience.

Disappointed it's happened so quickly, but not surprised to see you leading the charge.

According to the OP, the wake is in London, so the rules in Wales are irrelevant anyway.

I was concerned that this thread would quickly deteriorate into people trying to find ways of justifying evading the rules to suit someone's convenience.

Disappointed it's happened so quickly, but not surprised to see you leading the charge.

I've not suggested evading the rules, although other people have.

According to the OP, the wake is in London, so the rules in Wales are irrelevant anyway.

I wasn't sure whether the wake was in London or that was simply their point of entry via Eurostar.

I've passed the information on and the person has reluctantly accepted that they won't be able to attend the wake. They're now seeing if they can get a refund out of Eurostar.

She also asked me to pass on her thanks for the swift responses here.
The only alternative would have been to exchange eurostar ticket to travel tonight, still do-able but a bit late in the day.

e2a: cheap tickets are transferable but non refundable, more expenssive ones are refundable.

Back
Top Bottom