Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

University Challenge - the new era

belboid

Exasperated, not angry.
So we’ve had time to get a bit used to it now.

The introductory shot of Amol is just weird, it looks like it’s on a 1962 TV that’s set the vertical control wrong. I don’t like him looking at a screen to read the questions, reduces that eye contact with the teams.

AR himself is fine, will be totally settled in by the end of the series. And two decent matches so far as well.

But, I thought they’d outlawed single sex teams, but Birmingham has an all male team.

It looks shit and I have always found Amol Rajan a bit of an irritating tuss when I became aware of him when he took over the Media Show on the wireless. When he was a contestant one Christmas he came across as a bullshitter. The "I was about to say that" guy. Only watched about 20 minutes so far mind and I wasn't a Paxman fan either so will probably still watch now and then.

The questions fell well for me tonight. I didn't keep score, but reckon I would have given Sheffield a run for their money.

Anyone else shouted Balti at the telly during the curry round?

Last edited:
The questions fell well for me tonight. I didn't keep score, but reckon I would have given Sheffield a run for their money.

Anyone else shouted Balti at the telly during the curry round?
We did! And did like Rajan’s “why are you looking at her?”

From BBC News

An episode of Christmas University Challenge has been pulled after two contestants complained about a lack of provision for their disabilities.

One of the contestants, who is blind, called the experience "distressing".

Audio description, which they said had been promised, was not provided, while a request for subtitles for another contestant, who is neurodivergent, is understood to have been turned down.

The BBC said it had apologised to the individuals concerned.

The show's production company Lifted Entertainment, which is part of ITV Studios, also offered its "sincere apologies".

Christmas University Challenge, a festive spin-off from the BBC Two quiz show, features teams of distinguished alumni who compete on behalf of their former universities.

BBC News understands that the two contestants flagged disabilities to the producers before the recording.

It is understood that the production team said subtitles were not possible but that audio description would be provided. However, in the event, audio description did not happen.

'Distressing'
One of the affected contestants said: "One minute before the show, we were told there was no audio description and that your captain will instead have to explain everything."

The contestant said the visual images, which needed describing, included a pie chart and maps. "It was distressing," they added.

The other contestant, who is neurodivergent and has challenges with audio processing, said they had requested subtitles in advance so they wouldn't be at a disadvantage when trying to answer questions at speed.

"Unfortunately, I was told this wasn't possible," they said.

They still agreed to participate, but said the experience was "overwhelming and overstimulating", and that it impacted their ability to function for a week afterwards.

After the show was recorded, the two contestants - who have asked not to be named - complained to the BBC and asked for the episode not to be broadcast.

"I was in touch to say I'd prefer not to have the manifestation of my disability broadcast on network TV in the run-up to Christmas," the first contestant said.

On Friday, the decision was made to pull the episode.

Back
Top Bottom