Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Universal Credit (UC) and PIP together

SheilaNaGig

Break requested
I need to apply for both.

Which way round should I apply for these? Is there a good-better-best way to go about this?

Would it be better to apply for UC first and get that started before applying for PIP?

Or the other way around?

Maybe I'm overthinking it and it makes no difference?

I've been trying to work this out for a couple of weeks and I'm getting tangled up in the thinking.

:(

i'm too long out of the benefits field to offer any advice other than 'don't let the bastards grind you down'

if you're not already aware of it, then may be worth a look at

(think there are a few people round here who have a subscription and may be able to offer more advice than the public bit has)

Yep. Your claim will begin from when you apply; get both done at the same time if you can

Keep copies of your application and any evidence you send in, and always send things as signed for/trackable if you can.

Benefits and work have some good advice generally

So if I apply for both this week them they wont interfere or interrupt each other.

I've really struggled with the PIP tbh. Ive been trying to apply for at least a year, it triggers me though.

Okay!
Onwards!

Both at the same time, asap because they don't backdate it afaik. It doesn't matter what order because they don't talk to each other.

This is really very reassuring.

Thank you. I've been envisioning them in some kind of nasty culprit gossip session.

Speak to welfare rights if you can/have them re pip definitely. I put off applying for the same reason for years.

I'm having my claim reviewed at the minute, and hate the uncertainty of what's going to happen next- last time, I didn't need a face to face or phone assessment; this time they're deciding whether or not I need one.

Good luck- it's a horrible process to go through, and I always need emotional and practical support to do the forms.

Yeah you can apply for both at the same time. You may want to get one done first though depending on if it will be overwhelming/if you can afford too. If possible though you can do both so wouldn't want to discourage you.

The scorers for PIP here are handy though don't tell you the full story: PIP Assessment

If there is a local service that can help then it's worth asking. I kind of like doing PIP, but it can be difficult at times so good to get good advice even if it's someone having a look through your draft.

With universal credit are you going to be claiming the sickness/ESA element? If so you will need to do a work capability form but ring them and they will be able to advise.

Don't know about UC, but get your PIP claim in ASAP. There's every chance you'll not be awarded PIP first time, so be prepared to ask for a mandatory reconsideration, and if that fails appeal. Most people who appeal win, but the whole process could take a year or more. Of course you might succeed straight away, but so many don't. Whatever you do, don't be put off by an initial failure. If and when you do succeed it all gets backdated.

That seems to be policy, in the hope people will give up and go away...

It was definite tactic for some time and has likely been successful especially with people who were on DLA as many probably weren't able/didn't have the support to take it further.

Definitely don't let this put you off though as that's another reason they are so bad. I've been quite lucky most of the assessments people have had have been conducted properly. Have had a shit one recently though.

just a thought (i'm thinking about disability premiums in income support / housing benefit based on how it worked 30 years ago so may be meowing up the wrong tree here)- others may be able to shed light on this

would someone get UC at a higher rate if they are receiving / claiming PIP?

on the basis that PIP takes ages to process, presume it's best to claim UC now rather than wait, but should (in these circumstances) you say you're claiming PIP on the UC claim?

or should SNG claim ESA not UC to start with?

do you have to declare as fit and available for work at the initial stage of UC claim, and is there a 'catch 22' where if you do that you won't get ESA / PIP, but if you don't then you won't get UC until PIP has been awarded? Friend got caught up in something like this when they said no to his ESA at one point and he had to claim UC and declare as fit for work while seeking review of the ESA claim which was on the basis he wasn't fit for work...

just a thought (i'm thinking about disability premiums in income support / housing benefit based on how it worked 30 years ago so may be meowing up the wrong tree here)- others may be able to shed light on this

on the basis that PIP takes ages to process, presume it's best to claim UC now rather than wait, but should (in these circumstances) you say you're claiming PIP on the UC claim?

do you have to declare as fit and available for work at the initial stage of UC claim, and is there a 'catch 22' where if you do that you won't get ESA / PIP, but if you don't then you won't get UC until PIP has been awarded? Friend got caught up in something like this when they said no to his ESA at one point and he had to claim UC and declare as fit for work while seeking review of the ESA claim which was on the basis he wasn't fit for work...

This is exactly the tangle I’ve been worrying about.

I get single person disability premiums with ESA, which went up after I got PIP. I * think * someone I knew got awarded full rate everything for pip after being in the UC equivalent of the esa support group for a while, but I cant remember whether any extra payment on top of pip kicked in.

Thinking a bit more, I'm trying to avoid moving to/putting in a UC claim to replace ESA, because it would mean my disability premiums wouldn't exist any more.l - I think I'm currently protected from having to transfer over precisely because I'm still on "legacy benefits ".
I think there is something called new style ESA, but I don't know anything about it.

I get single person disability premiums with ESA, which went up after I got PIP. I * think * someone I knew got awarded full rate everything for pip after being in the UC equivalent of the esa support group for a while, but I cant remember whether any extra payment on top of pip kicked in.

Thinking a bit more, I'm trying to avoid moving to/putting in a UC claim to replace ESA, because it would mean my disability premiums wouldn't exist any more.l - I think I'm currently protected from having to transfer over precisely because I'm still on "legacy benefits ".
I think there is something called new style ESA, but I don't know anything about it.

I don’t have any legacy at all and I wonder if this might work against me .

I claimed for about ?6-12 months when I left school in the 80s and never since.

When I’ve tried in the last 6 or so years, my stubborn intention to be self supporting seems to have played against me somehow.

Lack of previous history of being on benefits shouldn't work against you in terms of being assessed/eligibility on a new uc or pip claim, if I'm understanding your concerns right.
E2a I misread/misunderstood, I think... are you saying you've applied and been refused in the past, because you seem to be doing well enough to not be dead or homeless iykwim (that sometimesseems ti be the criteria for assessors simetimes)?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom