Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

UNISON/UCU* Joint HE Thread

Lord Camomile

Yipchaa!
With the first meeting of the 24/25 negotiations tomorrow, and the initial claim and response published, thought it might be worth trying to have a joint thread for union members in HE. Not just because I never quite stopped feeling awkward posting on the UCU thread :D

UCEA's response focuses heavily on fees and the lack of increase, echoing what our lot have been saying locally. I always push back against any rhetoric that you have to sacrifice either access to education or staff welfare, and hope the national conversation will too.

Sure, it's the system we're in at the moment, but I think it's crucial we don't allow "improve pay for staff" to be taken as synonymous with "increase student fees".

Doubt anyone is expecting a reasonable offer. So the question simply becomes whether union members have recovered enough fight following the past few years.

*and others ;) :thumbs:

Hadn't realised that UoBirmingham (who bargain locally, not nationally) were out again the other week:

Dunno how going out of national bargaining works - presumably both UCU and UNISON (and any other relevant unions) all have to agree to it? Oh, just looked and UoB are in the JNCHES list with a footnote saying "Participate for part of the workforce only", so presumably their UCU are in but their UNISON is out?

Had heard summat about Birmingham, but will have to catch up on the specifics.

Have been hoping to do the same with the process in general, in an effort to hopefully be able to translate the fundamentals for other members, but that might well end up just more hubris on my part...

This list makes for seriously depressing reading :(

This is a live page of all the redundancies and closures taking place across the sector at the moment. Solidarity to all. This sector is vital to the country’s future and the vandalism to it unconscionable.

Have a mate who teaches at Kent, and have been getting (sadly, quite frequent) updates on how bad things have been there. Modules, courses and entire depts. being axed :( Including the dept. that half my degree comes from! :eek: :(

Likewise, my dad's old dept. at Middlesex looks to be all but gone, too.

Really don't know what to make of it in the context of the pay negotiations. Some institutions have money, but it really seems like a hell of a lot of the sector simply... doesn't.

I really don't want to fall for the employer's arguments, but can HE actually afford to pay their staff what they should right now? I'm honestly not sure how HE survives long-term without a complete overhaul of the funding system (i.e. public funding rather than tuition fees).

Well, I guess it becomes even more like the US system?

Thanks for starting the thread Lord Camomile.

I'm not sure I've got the stomach for yet more, prolonged strike action tbh.
My place is one of those listed in the above article, and while they're fairly confident it won't come to compulsory redundancies, I feel we're living in uncertain times.
It all feels a bit shit really :(

Yeah, the extended action of the past couple of years was great to see, but get the sense it's really taken its toll, and there are a lot of people feeling similarly.

Small positive in terms of the potential for compulsory redundancies, but agree 100% that everything feels uncertain, and feels like it could get more so before (if!) it gets any better. I'm at a relatively 'insulated' and 'stable' institution, compared to a lot of places (and particularly those on The List), so it's not quite as sharp as for many, but it still feels like it's just trying to reduce/slow down the damage. And the sector-wide context still feels pretty bleak and depressing.

Honestly don't know what the most positive course of action is :confused: I was getting ready to gee myself and our members up for another ballot and round of strike action, but the wider national context has really deflated a lot of that.

Among a number of UNISON branches, the talk seems to be "use the national action to win local disputes/gains". I can the sense of that, though it does instinctively rankle as feeling like it runs counter to the general 'collective' spirit. We've also had a few (relatively modest) local wins lately, so not quite sure what we'd aim for or the best way to get it.

This list makes for seriously depressing reading :(

Have a mate who teaches at Kent, and have been getting (sadly, quite frequent) updates on how bad things have been there. Modules, courses and entire depts. being axed :( Including the dept. that half my degree comes from! :eek: :(

Likewise, my dad's old dept. at Middlesex looks to be all but gone, too.

Really don't know what to make of it in the context of the pay negotiations. Some institutions have money, but it really seems like a hell of a lot of the sector simply... doesn't.

I really don't want to fall for the employer's arguments, but can HE actually afford to pay their staff what they should right now? I'm honestly not sure how HE survives long-term without a complete overhaul of the funding system (i.e. public funding rather than tuition fees).

Well, I guess it becomes even more like the US system?
Yeah, I think this is one of the reasons why national bargaining is so broken in a heavily marketised system, when you have some universities that are genuinely broke, how do you have a national pay structure without having it tied to what the poorest universities can afford to pay? But then just saying "well, the richer universities should pull out and cut their own deals" seems like a less than ideal outcome as well.
And there's a whole other conversation to be had about international student fees, with the ridiculous double standard meaning that institutions that can attract international students can squeeze far more fees per person out of them than they can with domestics. Which is obviously not ethically great and probably not super sustainable in the long-term anyway, but also runs into more immediate challenges when universities who're betting their financial stability on those inflated international fees run up into a government that's out of ideas other than "make things tougher for foreigners."
Yeah, the extended action of the past couple of years was great to see, but get the sense it's really taken its toll, and there are a lot of people feeling similarly.

Small positive in terms of the potential for compulsory redundancies, but agree 100% that everything feels uncertain, and feels like it could get more so before (if!) it gets any better. I'm at a relatively 'insulated' and 'stable' institution, compared to a lot of places (and particularly those on The List), so it's not quite as sharp as for many, but it still feels like it's just trying to reduce/slow down the damage. And the sector-wide context still feels pretty bleak and depressing.

Honestly don't know what the most positive course of action is :confused: I was getting ready to gee myself and our members up for another ballot and round of strike action, but the wider national context has really deflated a lot of that.

Among a number of UNISON branches, the talk seems to be "use the national action to win local disputes/gains". I can the sense of that, though it does instinctively rankle as feeling like it runs counter to the general 'collective' spirit. We've also had a few (relatively modest) local wins lately, so not quite sure what we'd aim for or the best way to get it.
Yeah, I mean the ideal outcome would be for UCU to win another national aggregate ballot and for their action to be supported by a growing number of Unison branches... but I don't think we're going to see that outcome. Dunno if UCU have even made an aggregate/disaggregate decision yet, but seems to me like the wisest choice would be for them to go back to dis. Offered with the caveat that I definitely thought they were going to lose their last few national ballots that they actually won, but hard to see a way back to that level of strength now.
And yeah, in the absence of a force that could genuinely shake UUK nationally, I suspect that local wins are probably the best that can be hoped for. I'm sure your members will be able to think of more things they'd like, even if it is just bumping your local grading up the national pay spine a bit further.

The UCU branch have now voted to strike, 85% on a 57% turnout.

The vote comes after 58 staff were placed at risk of redundancy as part of a programme that would see courses closed across the university.

Courses set to go include art history, music and audio technology, philosophy, religious studies, anthropology, health and social care, and journalism. A petition to save the courses has now reached over 16k signatures. Management also wants to slash the amount of time staff have allocated to research from 40% to as little as 20%.

So following

Further talks took place on all relevant issues at the third meeting of the 2024-25 New JNCHES pay round.
The meeting was adjourned with both sides agreeing to reconvene in mid-May.

after the standard three negotiating meetings, we now have this after that mid-May reconvening meeting:

Further talks took place on all relevant issues at Wednesday’s meeting of the 2024-25 New JNCHES pay round. Both sides agreed to reconvene next week

My instinctive, possibly naive, reaction is that this is at least vaguely positive, suggesting both parties see potential for making further progress, rather than just moving straight to a dispute after the third negotiations as in previous years.

I still don't hold out a lot of hope that any final offer will be something properly acceptable, but we'll see...

I do wonder if both unions and employers are more aligned in trying to avoid further industrial action than in previous years.

As I'm sure you'll all have seen, there's only been one really important news story this week:

Took them fucking long enough. Unions have until Friday 12th to respond, I think.
The employers have offered a staged uplift of between 2.5 per cent and 5.7 per cent, with an extra £900 for everyone on 1 August, and the remainder added (based on your spine point, with the lowest paid getting topped up to the full 5.7 per cent, and the 2.5 per cent applying to those on pay point 38, around £44,000 and above) in March 2025.

The preamble notes the poor prevailing financial conditions for the sector, including TPS contribution rises, declines in income from international recruitment, and home fee freezes – though it does note a projected return to (CPI) inflation rates of around 2 per cent and below over the rest of 2024 and 2025.

Inflation sits (May 2024) at 2.8 per cent (this is CPIH – which will replace RPI entirely in 2030), while the union’s favoured measure of RPI is at 3 per cent. This is not anything like a blanket inflation plus 2 per cent offer – it is more generous (but not as generous as the alternative £2,500 requested) at lower spine points, but less generous (though still likely to be at or near inflation by the time it is implemented) higher up.

Importantly, this increase is on top of ensuring all pay points are above the national living wage, a long overdue development for the many ancillary staff that work at our universities and colleges. We don’t get an increase to the Foundation Living Wage, with the excuse that this will be covered within the review of the pay spine.
I'd be interested to see exactly who gets what out of the 2.5-5.7% range, but I've looked at the offer itself and it doesn't seem to have much detail in terms of what it actually means at different points across the pay scale. I suppose UNISON/Unite/GMB are likely to have at least some members who'll be closer to the 5.7% and not many UCU will get much more than 2.5%? And there's EIS but I dunno how they work.

Back
Top Bottom