Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ultra fast broadband

Sunray

Its sunny somewhere.
I have started to notice this as something you can actually order now. FYI: It's FTTP or fibre to the premises. Not in my area but Zen offer it as a thing, not much more than what I already pay. I'd order it in a heartbeat if I could.

Does anyone have it yet? Zen are saying up to

900Mbs

I really want to have more bandwidth than most of Central Africa

I have Hyperoptic - I'm on a trial (Brixton) and it's been fast (and free!) for the last year.

However it has gone down three times - twice for 8 days and once for 2 days - without any real explanation.

They are about to ask if I want to become a paying customer and they are going to have to convince me that the outages won't continue.

I'm really tempted by Zen. I've been with the Post Office for years and have only just found out that I'm on a more expensive tariff than I need to be and the fuckers hadn't told me :mad: As I understand it, they should have done because it's a legal requirement for the last year or so, so I'm working on an e-mail to them.

Zen were really good when I was with them briefly. We get fibre to the box up the road (middle of nowhere) and it's copper the last mile or so but they still tell me I can get those sorts of speeds. Only thing is I don't know what I'd do with them. My connection is already fast enough to stream stuff and I don't have problems with download speeds.

/subscribes to thread.

My area doesn't seem to be covered by FTTP. The cheapest Zen tarrif seems to be £30/pm plus £20 set up, and ties you into a 12 month agreement for a measly 35mbps download!

If you want 'ultrafast' (300Mbps), they asking for £60/pm plus a £55 set up fee!! I don't think so.

Last edited:
Here we have three levels, “normal“ which is 100mbps, ”fast” which is 600mbps, and “high speed” which is 1Gbps. My mobile speed is supposed to be 21mbps on 4g. I’ve not measured it recently so aren’t sure what I’m getting.

I did my wifi speed yesterday, there was two iPads, two phones, and the firestick connected, and all using it, I got just over 200mbps which is disappointing.

I have fibre all the way into my flat, not just the building. I know this is the case because I’ve seen the fibre optic cable. This is normal here.

In the U.K. you are not getting a good deal from your suppliers.

We're paying £5/month for hyperoptic on an introductory offer here in Glasgow. Very much liking 950 up and down. I did 65GB up with no problem one day recently. Quite impressed by instantanious nature of it all now I've sorted out my house infrastructure to gigabit through out.

It's odd, I was happy for years on ADSL and now I've had a fast Virgin connection I would struggle to go back. Wish you didn't have to do the dance at contract renewal time though.

It's odd, I was happy for years on ADSL and now I've had a fast Virgin connection I would struggle to go back. Wish you didn't have to do the dance at contract renewal time though.

Ball ache isn't it? Pretend I'm leaving but we both know I won't.

100 Mbs is enough for me really (well I normally get 105 to 110). Had the 200Mbs when we moved in and it was pretty cool, but I don't have enough use for it to pay the extra money.

I have Hyperoptic - I'm on a trial (Brixton) and it's been fast (and free!) for the last year.

However it has gone down three times - twice for 8 days and once for 2 days - without any real explanation.

They are about to ask if I want to become a paying customer and they are going to have to convince me that the outages won't continue.

How much do they want for nearly 1Gb?

Excited to get decent internet when we move. Tossing up between the VM 360Mb package (which is on moneysupermarket for £36/m) and the 1Gb service (£62/month). Had so many problems with VM here that we sacked them off earlier in the year (outright speed was fine but the contention was crazy and hard to get anything to connect at peak times), wondering if the 'new' 1Gb lines will be on a separate network or not. Hmm. No hyperoptic available for us, sadly.

Excited to get decent internet when we move. Tossing up between the VM 360Mb package (which is on moneysupermarket for £36/m) and the 1Gb service (£62/month). Had so many problems with VM here that we sacked them off earlier in the year (outright speed was fine but the contention was crazy and hard to get anything to connect at peak times), wondering if the 'new' 1Gb lines will be on a separate network or not. Hmm. No hyperoptic available for us, sadly.

it’s a lottery. It’s basically down to how subscribed, or rather over subscribed the area you’re moving too is.

I subscribed to Hyperoptic in the end (£40/ month for 1GB for 12 month contract).

However it has gone down once already and tech support took 2 weeks to even get in touch. They are clearly swamped and can’t cope with number of customers.

Cannot recommend as a result.

As the thread's been bumped...
it’s a lottery. It’s basically down to how subscribed, or rather over subscribed the area you’re moving too is.
Yeah, i did a lot of work on BT's new network a couple of years ago so when Virgin started trotting out the 'over contention' on my local sub exchange, I managed to get money off because it basically means it's oversold.
We moved about 400m away and appear to be on a different switch/sub, as the 360Mb package we got here has been excellent thus far. Helped a lot by running cables inside and multiple Access Points to make the most of whatever bandwith comes in off the wall. No hyperoptic here though :(

CityFibre have just finished putting in their new cables in my road, which will be the first FTTP connection available here, both Virgin & BT Openreach only offer fibre to the cabinet.

Apparently, CityFibre will be an open network available to any providers, after an initial exclusive period with Zen comes to an end.

Has anyone got any experience with the CityFibre network?

Back
Top Bottom