Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Broadband Provider recommendations

Presumably the upside is that the carrier doesn’t need an ip per customer ?

Yep. That's the main reason I think it's used. TO conserve IPV4 public addresses.

we should all really be on IPV6 public addresses now anyway but they're a bit more complicated to implement. And remember...

Also for the isps making it harder to run servers is a good thing.
I guess it depends on the ISP. There's nothing wrong with running servers per se. As long as people stay within their fair use limits and don't host anything dodgy, no decent ISP should have a problem with that.

We're paying £54 to virgin too, been with them for years, haven't tried to negiotiate it down in recent years and last time I threatened to leave they only dropped it a couple of quids. Contract incl home phone (which we only need because virgin mobile recption is so shit sometimes) and TV (we're in a basement with nowhere to put an aerial)

How did you get them to drop the price?

If we move from virgin - will anyone else provide us with tv? We keep getting flyers for Community fibre which is adverting itself as a similar price to virgin but alot faster. and no tv presumably. Unsure what to do.

I've had to play the game with virgin every year when they bump up the price.

What I do is look on one of the comparison sites - uswitch is quite good - and find a roughly equivalent package then call them up and go through to cancellations. I tell them I've got this equivalent deal for £x and in front of me but don't want the hassle of moving so if they come close I'll stay with them - best to be friendly rather than demanding. I got a £26/month deal when I signed up and they've always agreed to continue with that in the end - although I think I did once cancel and have to wait a day or two for them to call back.

I don't have TV but I suspect if you find a similar now TV package or something you could do the same.

In my case I genuinely was willing to move if they didn't match it so nothing to lose. I don't know if you can cancel your cancellation if they don't come back to you with a better offer.

Will probably switch to Zen when our current Virgin contract is up. Fed up with the idiotic contract dance but for a long time they were the only fibre provider. A monopoly in action.

At my previous house, Zen had their own section of the cabinet. Current place that's not the case. I'm not sure whether it's a biggie anyway because I never had any issues at either, but I believe that the theory is that where BT don't share the cabinet, any issues need to be dealt with by BT (Zen handle them - no need to engage with BT yourself), whereas where Zen has access they can just fix stuff straight away.

As mentioned up thread.
Do you get 5G at your house? if so consider Three 5G. we're paying 26 per month (£13 for first 6 months). 4.5% increase each year written into contract.
Lucky with location - I get between 100mbps to 900 downstream and 100 upstream .

Cancelled Sky copper as it was twice the price for 32mbps max - no brainer.

Seems reliable - have rebooted it maybe 4 times this year and it glitched out a bit during recent thunderstorms, but mainly rock solid

I keep getting the community fibre people dropping stuff through my door and have not had a chance to properly look at it all yet, but a quick glance today says it's potentially a lot better value for money than Plusnet (that I am currently on).
I use my internet at home for work (remote controlling other computers elsewhere) and it needs to be reliable.
Obviously their own community fibre literature mentions nothing of the possible downsides. Anyone have any knowledge /first hand experience with CF?

My mum's had community fibre for the past 6 months and it's been great. She's only a light user mind but no issues so far. Of course that means she hasn't had to deal with customer services which is where broadband providers often have the biggest issues!

I'm very jealous of people who are able to get proper fibre!

I keep getting the community fibre people dropping stuff through my door and have not had a chance to properly look at it all yet, but a quick glance today says it's potentially a lot better value for money than Plusnet (that I am currently on).
I use my internet at home for work (remote controlling other computers elsewhere) and it needs to be reliable.
Obviously their own community fibre literature mentions nothing of the possible downsides. Anyone have any knowledge /first hand experience with CF?
We've had community fibre for over 6 months. No problems.

Also can refer you then we both get £100 amazon spends. :thumbs:

We've had community fibre for over 6 months. No problems.

Also can refer you then we both get £100 amazon spends. :thumbs:
I might take you up on that. I have to wait for plusnet to come to an end. I'm currently getting 80mbps so even 200 seems crazy. . . And they say we don't need a land line anymore, which seems to contribute to a substantial amount of the monthly cost.

We moved from plusnet and dropped our landline. I would suggest cancelling your direct debit when you drop plusnet, I made the mistake of trusting them to stop taking money.

We moved from plusnet and dropped our landline. I would suggest cancelling your direct debit when you drop plusnet, I made the mistake of trusting them to stop taking money.
Gotcha.
I don't finish my contract until October so I have a bit of time. At the moment with the deal I am locked into it's just as good value as community fibre even with the phone (which I have to have because of BT or something - but is currently free).
With CF I can more than double the speed for only a small extra cost, or keep it roughly the same for a couple of quid less per month.
At the very worst it (if I have work at the time and can't afford to be messed about) it could be a bargaining chip for a new contract.

Do community fibre use the same fibre lines?
I have had such a shitting time with BT engineers over the last year.

Do community fibre use the same fibre lines?
I have had such a shitting time with BT engineers over the last year.

They have their own fibre network.

Unlike most providers, we build, own and operate our dedicated 100% full fibre network with the most advanced technology available. So we don't have to rely on Openreach's or anyone else's cables.

Broadband is delivered directly into your home using only fibre optic cable (FTTH).

. . . follow up. I have had community fibre for a couple of months now. So far I have had ZERO issues, which is better than plus net, that were generally OK but had to run on a BT line. . . and BT were appalling. For less than the price I previously paid I now get roughly 15 to 20 times the speeds.
If anyone is thinking of joining I have this referral code that gives you an extra £100 gift voucher on top. I also get one if you do.
Full Fibre Broadband up to 3 Gbps | Unlimited Fibre Broadband | Community Fibre

. . . follow up. I have had community fibre for a couple of months now. So far I have had ZERO issues, which is better than plus net, that were generally OK but had to run on a BT line. . . and BT were appalling. For less than the price I previously paid I now get roughly 15 to 20 times the speeds.
If anyone is thinking of joining I have this referral code that gives you an extra £100 gift voucher on top. I also get one if you do.
Full Fibre Broadband up to 3 Gbps | Unlimited Fibre Broadband | Community Fibre

Can't wait till they get to these parts, so when the Virgin contract is up, I can genuinely negotiate.

Can't wait till they get to these parts, so when the Virgin contract is up, I can genuinely negotiate.
When I told plusnet I was leaving they basically offered me plusnet for free but could not remove the amount they had to pay BT for the line . . . which was still more than community fibre (that didn't need the phone line). . . but it was fun seeing the negotiations go so low, but even they said I should go with comunity fibre as it was obviously a better deal and that full fibre was much more reliable. That's one of the things I liked about plusnet, the customer service was generally pretty good and pretty honest.

My BT line took 6 weeks to install. However they gave me a free unlimited EE dongle, which was good enough for video calls, didn't charge me for the 6 weeks and gave me compensation of nearly £200.

FFS just found out sky are charging my mum £100 per month for TV (£47) and Internet/Talk (£53). The bill has been hetting regularly nudged up since i last checked. This is a ripoff right?

She doesn’t even get any interesting movie, sport or hd specials.

FFS just found out sky are charging my mum £100 per month for TV (£47) and Internet/Talk (£53). The bill has been hetting regularly nudged up since i last checked. This is a ripoff right?

They're all fuckers for this. BT stitched my Dad up for this for a similar amount for their shit TV offering and Internet. I couldn't even cancel for him as they'd called him offering a "free" TV box.

Are BT retentions up for doing a deal? My elderly parents would prefer to stick to BT but their contract is up at the end of month so now is the time to do a deal.

Does she actually need Sky TV?

Freesat offers over 170 channels.

Are BT retentions up for doing a deal? My elderly parents would prefer to stick to BT but their contract is up at the end of month so now is the time to do a deal.

Most of them normally are, especially if you can explain how your going to get better for less. Be quite firm to start with that you are going to leave.

Reactions: MBV
I know - but she’s in her eighties and just about knows how to record her shows. If it was me i’d cancel asap.

I don't think there's any real different in how you record shows on a Sky or Freesat box, the programme guide will look slightly different, but with Freesat you find the programme in the guide and just press the record button.

Back
Top Bottom