Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Broadband Provider recommendations

Issue with using provider email is it makes it much harder to move as you need to change email address.
Dad has moved house with fibre to the premises so Plusnet can't provide broadband but he still has email with them.

I've not been with AOL for years and still have an email account with them. :hmm:

I'd expect all providers to give speeds suitable for Zoom. We gave up our traditional broadband (and land line) for a three.co.uk Home Broadband 4G unlimited data router costing under £14/m with cashback. We sometimes stream iPlayer and My5 etc and my wife uses Zoom each week without issues. Normal max speed in our area is about 45Mbps but it can drop to 10Mbps for some busy times which is still more than enough.

We were in contract with Shell Energy until this month so last November we ordered the 4G to make sure it was suitable. We sent it all back within two weeks and were charged nothing, not even for the 100GB data we had used. When we were out of contract with Shell we ordered from Three again and all has been great so far.

The only hiccup was you can't get cashback if you've ordered in the last 12 months so I ordered the November box and my wife ordered the current one through Quidco. It's advertised at £16/m anyway at the moment.

We like community fibre. Can offer the we both get £100 Amazon gift card referral if anyone wants to pm for that...

I'd expect all providers to give speeds suitable for Zoom. We gave up our traditional broadband (and land line) for a three.co.uk Home Broadband 4G unlimited data router costing under £14/m with cashback. We sometimes stream iPlayer and My5 etc and my wife uses Zoom each week without issues. Normal max speed in our area is about 45Mbps but it can drop to 10Mbps for some busy times which is still more than enough.

This is a fair point - zoom / teams needs less than 2mbps.

If you aren’t getting this - your issue is probably bad wifi not a bad internet connection.

Alex

Last edited:
Until recently I've only basically had the option of Virgin using their own 'closed' network, i.e. exclusive to them, which is fibre to the cabinet and coaxial cable from there to the house, or all other providers using the BT Openreach network, which is fibre to the cabinet and old copper telephone wires from there to the house.

I had major problems with BT Openreach at my last address, involving over a dozen call-outs and digging up the road twice, before they actually sent a broadband expert, which found the problem in about 5 minutes, it was just their side of the master socket, turned out the people that replaced the windows had cut the wires, and just twisted them back together, wrapped some insulation tape around them and left that mess in the cavity wall. But, 12 call-outs before sending an expert :facepalm: , I decided I never wanted to go with any provider using the BT Openreach network.

So, I changed to Virgin when I moved here, and they have been slowly increasing their charges over the years, and I've swallowed it, but now City-Fibre has installed their brand new open network offering fibre right into the home, and about half a dozen providers are offering that from £30pm, so at last I had an escape route from Virgin.

When Virgin recently put it up again, to £54 pm, it only took 5 minutes on the phone to get them to drop it to £35 pm on a new 18 month contract, which I accepted, only to find out later on the money saving expert's forum, that people refusing that offer, and giving 30 days notice of cancellation, get a call back a few days later and end-up on just £25 pm. :mad:

Until recently I've only basically had the option of Virgin using their own 'closed' network, i.e. exclusive to them, which is fibre to the cabinet and coaxial cable from there to the house, or all other providers using the BT Openreach network, which is fibre to the cabinet and old copper telephone wires from there to the house.

I had major problems with BT Openreach at my last address, involving over a dozen call-outs and digging up the road twice, before they actually sent a broadband expert, which found the problem in about 5 minutes, it was just their side of the master socket, turned out the people that replaced the windows had cut the wires, and just twisted them back together, wrapped some insulation tape around them and left that mess in the cavity wall. But, 12 call-outs before sending an expert :facepalm: , I decided I never wanted to go with any provider using the BT Openreach network.

So, I changed to Virgin when I moved here, and they have been slowly increasing their charges over the years, and I've swallowed it, but now City-Fibre has installed their brand new open network offering fibre right into the home, and about half a dozen providers are offering that from £30pm, so at last I had an escape route from Virgin.

When Virgin recently put it up again, to £54 pm, it only took 5 minutes on the phone to get them to drop it to £35 pm on a new 18 month contract, which I accepted, only to find out later on the money saving expert's forum, that people refusing that offer, and giving 30 days notice of cancellation, get a call back a few days later and end-up on just £25 pm. :mad:

Yes, you've got to play the game every time the contract runs out. Quality of service is so good though.

I've switched to Virgin business and the installs have been painfully incompetent. It's just as well the service is good so I never need to call them. It's left a serious bad taste though and when City Fiber install these parts I'll be quite tempted. Maybe in combination with Zen.

We're paying £54 to virgin too, been with them for years, haven't tried to negiotiate it down in recent years and last time I threatened to leave they only dropped it a couple of quids. Contract incl home phone (which we only need because virgin mobile recption is so shit sometimes) and TV (we're in a basement with nowhere to put an aerial)

How did you get them to drop the price?

If we move from virgin - will anyone else provide us with tv? We keep getting flyers for Community fibre which is adverting itself as a similar price to virgin but alot faster. and no tv presumably. Unsure what to do.

Yes, you've got to play the game every time the contract runs out. Quality of service is so good though.

I've switched to Virgin business and the installs have been painfully incompetent. It's just as well the service is good so I never need to call them. It's left a serious bad taste though and when City Fiber install these parts I'll be quite tempted. Maybe in combination with Zen.

I've got my eye on a local Worthing ISP that are using the CityFiber network, they have a shop & office in town providing local customer service, 150Mbps @ £28pm, up to 900Mbps @ £40pm, free installation and no contract. I may even consider their wireless option, as one of their masts is just down the road, and that's 100 Mbps @ only £22pm.

Whereas also on CityFiber, both on 18 month contracts - Zen is £29.99pm for only 100Mbps and TalkTalk is £32pm for 150Mbps, but with a £75 reward card.

And in future, contact your provider at the end of your contract and renegotiate. You won't need to do that with Zen, they reckon they fix the price for life.
I'm with zen and was a bit reassured by that but on reflection it's not the price of your contract but the price of the contract they're offering to new people because that can be cheaper than the one you're on. Providers now supposedly have to tell you the contracts available - I must check mine.

We're paying £54 to virgin too, been with them for years, haven't tried to negiotiate it down in recent years and last time I threatened to leave they only dropped it a couple of quids. Contract incl home phone (which we only need because virgin mobile recption is so shit sometimes) and TV (we're in a basement with nowhere to put an aerial)

If we move from virgin - will anyone else provide us with tv? We keep getting flyers for Community fibre which is adverting itself as a similar price to virgin but alot faster. and no tv presumably. Unsure what to do.

Well, I've got the advantage of not using the landline although it's included with Virgin, I haven't even got a phone plugged in, plus I use Freesat for TV, so I only need the broadband and threaten to move to one of the ISP's using the new CityFiber network.

TV is going to be your problem TBH, but they don't know that, so it's still worth calling Virgin and say you are thinking of switching, because money is seriously tight ATM and you really can't afford £54 pm, don't accept the first offer, just keep pushing them down to at least £35, which seems the best they are offering at stage one.

IIRC they offered me £45 first, then £40, and finally £35, but as I said on the money saving expert's forum, some people are refusing that offer, and giving 30 days notice of cancellation, then move to stage two and get a call back a few days later and end-up on just £25 pm, although I think that's broadband only. You can always withdraw the cancellation if they don't call back with a better offer.

At the end of the day, if you don't ask, you don't get. :)

Not sure when you have a TV package too. I would say get a list of good offers you have for broadband deals only. You can check on Money Saving Expert and other comparison sites. Ring them and say you've decided you can't afford that anymore and it would be much cheaper for you to just have netflix and prime which will be enough so want to leave.

First person might offer you a "deal" but hold through and they will put you through to someone else who can likely offer a better deal. That's what happened to me. It's easier when you actually intend to leave though.

You could check out what BT are offering for similar packages to the one you have and then use that line?

And in future, contact your provider at the end of your contract and renegotiate. You won't need to do that with Zen, they reckon they fix the price for life.
They do. I'm on £23/mo and have been for the last 6 years. They emailed me recently to say that their prices have gone up, but mine is staying as per their commitment. Of course what that means is that I can't change the package I have without opting for higher tariffs.

Zen are very good BTW. Proper tech support if you need it. They always answer the phone. Reliable, solid service and you're unlikely to need tech support.

The issue with these virgin and bt cut price deals is they revert to full price in 12/18 months.

Whereas stuff like the communityfibre 75mbps for 22.50 is “full price” already - so will only rise at a couple of % per year.

And because it’s full fibre - you are going to get 75mbps.

The issue with these virgin and bt cut price deals is they revert to full price in 12/18 months.

Whereas stuff like the communityfibre 75mbps for 22.50 is “full price” already - so will only rise at a couple of % per year.

Definitely. If I could escape Virgin or BT I would.

friendofdorothy - see this handy guide:

'I haggled £411 off my Virgin bill'

Our most recent poll, conducted in November 2021, found 83% of Virgin customers who tried to haggle were successful in negotiating a better deal, showing what's possible.

Also on this link, 921 Virgin customers voted about haggling, 17% had no success, 34% small success & 49% big success:

Well, I've got the advantage of not using the landline although it's included with Virgin, I haven't even got a phone plugged in, plus I use Freesat for TV, so I only need the broadband and threaten to move to one of the ISP's using the new CityFiber network.

TV is going to be your problem TBH, but they don't know that, so it's still worth calling Virgin and say you are thinking of switching, because money is seriously tight ATM and you really can't afford £54 pm, don't accept the first offer, just keep pushing them down to at least £35, which seems the best they are offering at stage one.

IIRC they offered me £45 first, then £40, and finally £35, but as I said on the money saving expert's forum, some people are refusing that offer, and giving 30 days notice of cancellation, then move to stage two and get a call back a few days later and end-up on just £25 pm, although I think that's broadband only. You can always withdraw the cancellation if they don't call back with a better offer.

At the end of the day, if you don't ask, you don't get. :)
Thanks will give it a go.

is no other company offering cable tv? I really dont undersatnd how tv works these days, but I cant be the only person with no access to an aerial. We have a 'smart' tv but thats connected via the tivo telebox from Virgin thingy.

I inderstood in the days of analog with a coathanger used to improve the signal - swearing everytime the police helicopter went over - and having to reposition the coathanger for C4 - sigh -

Thanks will give it a go.

is no other company offering cable tv? I really dont undersatnd how tv works these days, but I cant be the only person with no access to an aerial. We have a 'smart' tv but thats connected via the tivo telebox from Virgin thingy.

I inderstood in the days of analog with a coathanger used to improve the signal - swearing everytime the police helicopter went over - and having to reposition the coathanger for C4 - sigh -

What do you want to watch - if it’s just bbc ch4 itv - can you use the apps on your tv ?

Or a tv Ariel and free view.

Last edited:
friendofdorothy I've just found this information on how to get Freeview with an aerial -

The good news is, it’s possible to receive Freeview on a TV without the need for a TV aerial. However, there are certain qualifiers to this. First, you would need a Smart TV, or a Freeview Box with Freeplay installed, and a fast, stable internet connection.

There is a downside, and that is that it is a case of logging into different channels and streaming their content as and when you want to watch it. For instance BBC iPlayer, ITV hub etc. Freeview play makes it easier to select these and see what’s on. However, it is more complicated than just flicking through the channels as one would with a live broadcast via a TV aerial.

It is a good alternative if there is absolutely no way of getting a digital signal from a TV aerial. But it is a bit of a pain to use, and doesn’t offer the ease of use compared to receiving it through an aerial.

I'd switch because I resent these stupid games. Do they offer a static IP for domestic? This frustrated me with Virgin. I had to switch to buisness.

Although in their defence both places I've used them they've been very close to what is promised most of the time, unlike VDSL providers.

Zen are very good BTW. Proper tech support if you need it. They always answer the phone. Reliable, solid service and you're unlikely to need tech support.
Yeah, they're ace. IMO the only consumer ISP who betters them for knowledgeable tech support is Andrews & Arnold, but they're too pricey for me.

Another Zen fan.

I'm only on copper broadband. May go fibre at some point but apart from large downloads, don't really need the speed. Zoom, Netflix etc all work fine.

I'd switch because I resent these stupid games. Do they offer a static IP for domestic? This frustrated me with Virgin. I had to switch to buisness.

Although in their defence both places I've used them they've been very close to what is promised most of the time, unlike VDSL providers.

Communityfibre don’t do static IPs.

Communityfibre don’t do static IPs.
Even worse, I think they use CGNAT.

But that's Community Fibre (the London based company), other community fibre projects like B4RN offer a single public static IP as standard.

Even worse, I think they use CGNAT.

But that's Community Fibre (the London based company), other community fibre projects like B4RN offer a single public static IP as standard.

What are the downsides of CGNAT for the 99.5% of people who don’t know what it is ?

What are the downsides of CGNAT for the 99.5% of people who don’t know what it is ?

Breaks the principle of end to end communication the internet is supposed to deply. Yeah I know but Nat etc.
Makes running / hosting a server tricky / impossible with out using intermediary services.
Complicates internet trafffic routing, overheads in processing the connections.
It's ugly...

Breaks the principle of end to end communication the internet is supposed to deply. Yeah I know but Nat etc.
Makes running / hosting a server tricky / impossible with out using intermediary services.
Complicates internet trafffic routing, overheads in processing the connections.
It's ugly...

Presumably the upside is that the carrier doesn’t need an ip per customer ?

If someone is asking about a static IP, they probably want to run services that require it or connect remotely. At least with a dynamic (but public) IP that's easily solved with a DynDNS type service built into any decent router.

You cannot do this with CGNAT. Basic port forwarding isn't possible either.

Back
Top Bottom