Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Recommendation Ultra budget, ultra portable word processing options

Chromebook does seem good option but surely cheapest would be to get the old iPad2 working.

Very true. But previous attempts have failed. It's now disabled and unless my old pre2010 laptop can somehow fire up a compatible version of iTunes it's not looking good on that front.

I'll be the first to acknowledge that iPads can be wonderful, versatile machines, but Chromebooks are literally made for what the OP has requested: cheap, fast, able to run Word or Google Office and with a proper, built-in keyboard.

If they're OK with the bolt on flappy keyboard, of course. I think they're horrid things.
The Bluetooth keyboard I have with the iPad is pretty good TBF.

...but if I can't get into my iPad it's off the table as an option really.

The Bluetooth keyboard I have with the iPad is pretty good TBF.

...but if I can't get into my iPad it's off the table as an option really.
Exactly how much do you want to spend? If you want the minimum fuss, flip open and get typing option you can get a s/hand CBook for £50 off eBay.

Heck, you can have my almost new, boxed Asus C101 Flip for £100 if you want it! It's been sat on my shelf for months on end (it was bought as a gift but the person had already bought one)l

This looks interesting as an option:

Distraction-free writing. They aren’t made anymore but you can get them on eBay.

(I have the Freewrite Traveller which is similar but not cheap)

This looks interesting as an option:

Distraction-free writing. They aren’t made anymore but you can get them on eBay.

(I have the Freewrite Traveller which is similar but not cheap)
I like the quirkiness of it but it's a bit fugly, no? Besides, you may as well just install distraction-free writing apps on CBooks/iPads etc and not be stuck with an outdated one trick pony.

I couldn't work with that screen. Not able to read back at what you've written, and would be a nightmare for proofreading, plus even more difficult if you've got diagrams. Longish document you wouldn't know where you were. Ugh. Looks like computers would have been in the 70s before they had proper screens.

The idea is that you bang out the copy then edit on a different device. Must I must say I haven’t tried it yet.

There can't be any room for editing symbols across the top or bottom though. Sorry if I'm being Ludditeish but it looks like you'd not be distracted by writing either.

Unless I've forgotten what installation was like Mint and Ubuntu work straight out of the box, too.

What's that from? Mine looks nothing like that when I start up. Nice clean screen, just the icons I've placed on it.

Unless I've forgotten what installation was like Mint and Ubuntu work straight out of the box, too.

What's that from? Mine looks nothing like that when I start up. Nice clean screen, just the icons I've placed on it.
Gentoo, which is notoriously difficult to install but nonetheless it's what runs behind a Chromebook. So saying "Chromebook is easier than Linux" is a bit
:confused:

I run Kali whenever I need Linux and it just works, no issues installing either.

Yep I started up Mint after writing that and there's no list of text, just straight into the Mint screen - I do remember there was something like it that flashed down the screen a while ago, I presume for maintenance in case something went wrong.

The idea that you're going to be working with a screen full of DOS-like text is just wrong though.

Well, 3 hours of faff and I have legacy versions of the Google Suite running on a clean iPad2 and Bluetooth keyboard.

It works.

Just about.

Wouldn't recommend going through this with a purchased 2nd hand iPad though. And it won't be a long term solution. But that can wait for now.

Here's an illustration from a site on using Chromebooks

1621431595233.png

I could equally say "I don't think many would want screens that look like this either"

Shall we not derail the thread any more? I came on being deliberately conciliatory - above I said that Chromebooks would be a good choice for the OP - because of the arguments we've had in the past. You like Chromebooks, I have no problem with that. I like Linux.

Here's an illustration from a site on using Chromebooks

View attachment 269159

I could equally say "I don't think many would want screens that look like this either"

Shall we not derail the thread any more? I came on being deliberately conciliatory - above I said that Chromebooks would be a good choice for the OP - because of the arguments we've had in the past. You like Chromebooks, I have no problem with that. I like Linux.
You're being very silly. The illustrations were from the official OS website under the 'screenshot' section which does - I would say - reflect the kind of audience they're hoping to appeal to.

I've no idea why you're linking to a geeky tech website, but I doubt if you'll find a manufacturers' Chromebook product page that looks similar. And I know you like Linux, but do you think this is the right thread given the OP's request?

Well no, that's why I said Chromebooks would be a good choice and didn't (as I recall) say that Linux would be a good choice (although I think it would be perfectly fine). That screenshot I posted is for advanced users, like the screenshot you put up is for advanced users, since Chromebooks has Terminal because it's based on Linux.

Someone who just wants word processing, as the OP said they do, wouldn't have to go anywhere near Terminal in Linux. They'd use the GUI like you do in Windows and like you do in Chromebooks. There's loads of screens showing a normal desktop because they do want to appeal to new users, too. That's why it's become much more user friendly of late.

Yes Linux can be more complicated to use if you want to do something out of the ordinary, but it's not "infinitely" more difficult and you don't get streams of text down the screen unless you need them because you're an advanced user. And even then there's loads of websites that tell you exactly what to c&p if you need the extra power and flexibility of Terminal.

Mint is arguably more useable than Windows and Chromebooks. It comes with a wealth of selected open source packages which negates the need to install extra software for the standard user.

A major plus is Mint is not a privacy invading feudal tech Lord like Google.

Mint is arguably more useable than Windows and Chromebooks. It comes with a wealth of selected open source packages which negates the need to install extra software for the standard user.
Just so you know, all of the above is complete goobledegook to the average user who just want to turn on a machine and not have to faff about with 'open source packages.'

I would.

How many each of Apple iPhones, iPads, Macbooks, etc, have you only ever bought one of?
I'm taking bought as new and second hand.

Over the last 13 years, I've paid for six Apple devices. four were new, got given one. iPhone 3G, and 4 were new, 5 from friend, 6 from ebay, X from ebay. iPad Mini 2 and 4 new.

Apart from the iPhone 5 which I accidentally smashed, the rest still work.

These kind of threads always seem to go the same way:

Poster 1: "Hi, I want a cheap, easy, fast laptop"
Poster 2: "Only an Apple product will suffice even though it's double/triple/quadruple your stated budget and completely over-specced"
Poster 3: "Nonsense, the best solution is with an operating system you've never used or even heard of before. Simply install this/that/reboot/whatever...."

:D

Back
Top Bottom