Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Turning a freezer off

Elpenor

Dancing as fast as I can
I’m thinking of not using my freezer for a few months to save electricity.

After I’ve defrosted it, and obviously unplugged it, should I leave it with the door shut or open. Not sure what I’m meant to do!

We're coming into summer, I'd've thought that's when you'd need your freezer

Switch it off during winter would make sense

Check you've not got any heating things on in summer or if you can turn them down, say for water heating if you have an immersion heater

Or insulating pipes/tank

Check that the freezer is running efficiently - including a defrost - before deciding to dispense with the facility.
I use mine to even out bulk buying sprees, which helps cover running costs.
[It seems to cost more to shop "little and often" and therefore I buy bigger packs of certain things which get split up / frozen]

If you go down that route, after cleaning etc leave the door open to stop mildew / mold and general staleness inside.

I have defrosted already and given it a clean with kitchen cleaner stuff. My thinking was I am more likely to use it in winter as I tend to batch cook then. Whereas in summer I don’t. So will give it a go and see if I miss it.

I can’t leave the door fully open as it would then block my access into the kitchen but can easily leave it ajar.

Elpenor do you know how much power it's using?

A very old one will be using loads, a modern one very little.

I was shocked that my 30 year fridge-freezer was using over 2.5Kw a day, I replaced it and the new one uses just over 0.5Kw a day, that will pay for itself is well under a year.

We're coming into summer, I'd've thought that's when you'd need your freezer

Switch it off during winter would make sense

Check you've not got any heating things on in summer or if you can turn them down, say for water heating if you have an immersion heater

Or insulating pipes/tank
Yes, but in winter it's dumping its waste heat into the house, so you're not wasting the electricity quite as much as you are in summer when you then have to get rid of the waste heat instead of just basking in it.
In winter it's effectively a small electric radiator that has the added benefit of keeping some things cold. (as is anything electrical, really)

Elpenor do you know how much power it's using?

A very old one will be using loads, a modern one very little.

I was shocked that my 30 year fridge-freezer was using over 2.5Kw a day, I replaced it and the new one uses just over 0.5Kw a day, that will pay for itself is well under a year.

I don’t know that, sorry. Can’t find anything in the online manual.

It is - I guess - at least 15 years old. Third hand from a mate as it was left in his house when he bought it. Replacing it is probably worth doing at some point but not financially possible for at least a year.

Back
Top Bottom