Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Tulse Hill news, chitter chatter and gossip

ah got it now - I thought he was talking about Norwood Road on the east side of the park from TH down to HH. Sorry Smick

totally aware of the Effra Road/Tulse Hill changeover - people used to mistakenly address mail to us as Effra Road, not realising it changes to Tulse Hill at that junction (when we lived down there).

as you were... :D
Needless to say, I had the last laugh.

Anyone who is in to running 5k, I did the length of Leigham Vale, Valley Road, path across the top of Streatham Common, down the South side, up the diagonal path and back the way I came. 5.1km and a nice downhill from Leigham Court Road for the last kilometer.

What is the opinion of people of pubs serving food and staff allowing punters to eat 'outside' food at the premises? It's a rhetorical question really. Mind boggling behaviour at a Tulse Hill pub...

New signs going up in lots of shops in the White Hart locale. I'm not sure if the car shop on the corner of Palace Road/Norwood Rd is turning into something else.

The bar is up at Knowles, excitement!

And as an aside, there's a really lairy woman in the coop today, working behind the tills. She actually shouted at customers today to 'come on, hurry up'. Well, we did say we missed Tina...

So far really nice welcome to la casa degli Italian restaurant. Free prosecco and it's actually not tacky inside. Praying they don't ruin in by providing crap food.

Looking forward to the review.
So...after a really warm welcome and a free glass of bubbles, I perused the menu. It's freaking HUGE! It took us half an hour to decide what to order. I think the menu is a work in progress and seriously needs to be revised. They seem to have mixed up starters with mains; the second page has dishes for £4.95 and ones for £12.95, one of which was a salad with mozzarella! Their pricing is skewwiff. There's an aubergine dish on there that's more expensive than the veal! How does that work?!

We ordered garlic pizza bread to start. The bready bit was fine but it was unseasoned and average.

Mains were ok but nothing to write home about. I did like the fact that for some pasta dishes you can order small rather than large. My arrabiata was not hot enough and their chilli oil didn't have any chilliishness about it and NO TABASCO sauce!! Christ.

The wine was tasty and priced well.

Service wise it was very friendly but not really brilliant. The waitress cleared our starter plates while one of my friends was still eating. A no no in my eyes.

I think I'll have a word with the owners as I do think it's worth going back but they need to reduce their menu and train the waiting staff a bit. Maybe also turn the heating down!

Overall, I wasn't overwhelmed nor was I disappointed. I will definitely go back.

Last edited:
I felt a bit sorry for them earlier -I wandered past just after 4pm - it was pissing down and the waitress was standing forlornly looking out the window - there was no one inside. On Friday evening my beau and I wandered past and the specials board looked alright and reasonable prices - but we would like to see a menu (although it sounds a bit nuts atm). I'm not sure tabasco sauce is what one would expect to find in an Italian tbf - but the rest sounds a bit mad. I'd really like it if it turned out to be somewhere we could go with the kids for a treat. Nice food, not too expensive but not over the top either.

I felt a bit sorry for them earlier -I wandered past just after 4pm - it was pissing down and the waitress was standing forlornly looking out the window - there was no one inside. On Friday evening my beau and I wandered past and the specials board looked alright and reasonable prices - but we would like to see a menu (although it sounds a bit nuts atm). I'm not sure tabasco sauce is what one would expect to find in an Italian tbf - but the rest sounds a bit mad. I'd really like it if it turned out to be somewhere we could go with the kids for a treat. Nice food, not too expensive but not over the top either.
Most Italians do have Tabasco, even though it's a tex-mex thing, it goes mighty well with tomato based foods.

Most Italians do have Tabasco, even though it's a tex-mex thing, it goes mighty well with tomato based foods.

I think some do, but not, in my experience - most - chilli oil yes - but I agree it goes well with tomato-based foods - either way, I wouldn't hold it against them.. :)

I'm not sure if the car shop on the corner of Palace Road/Norwood Rd is turning into something else.

Ah, the mystery of Hamiltons. How often I have pondered it (I live opposite). There is a planning permission notice up to turn the whole place into flats – I think possibly a second application, because a first one appeared, ooo, about a year ago and nothing appeared to happen. Hamiltons have taken all their signs down but there seem to be new car-related ones going up. There was a phase were all the cars in the showroom had disappeared and I was convinced they had shut up shop... only for it all to reappear a couple of weeks later.

I tell you, it almost makes Into the Vines (the fish foot pedicure/Christian bookshop/diet food place) look straightforward.

Last edited:
Ah, the mystery of Hamiltons. How often I have pondered it (I live opposite). There is a planning permission notice up to turn the whole place into flats – I think possibly a second application, because a first one appeared, ooo, about a year ago and nothing appeared to happen. Hamiltons have taken all their signs down but there seem to be new car-related ones going up. There was a phase were all the cars in the showroom had disappeared and I was convinced they had shut up shop... only for it all to reappear a couple of weeks later.

I tell you, it almost makes Into the Vines (the fish foot manicure/Christian bookshop/diet food place) look straightforward.

I think the planning permission was for the yard behind and the church building (unless there were 2 separate applications). There's lots of window tinting/car modification signage going up in Hamiltons so it looks like the shop, at least, is here to stay. Whether the church gets pulled down for the flats or not is another thing!

I think the planning permission was for the yard behind and the church building

Ah ha – hadn't realised that. Thanks, that makes sense. Though does rather decrease my interest in moving into these long-promised flats if they're going to have a view of a car dealership. (Yes, I have my eye on flats which don't yet exist).

I think some do, but not, in my experience - most - chilli oil yes - but I agree it goes well with tomato-based foods - either way, I wouldn't hold it against them.. :)

Most chilli oil is just flavourless gloop. Any restauraunt worth is 'sauce' is gonna have a proper chilli condiment to hand....

...and salt and pepper in salt and pepper pots....not some rank little bowl (Tulse Hill Hotel take note)

Most chilli oil is just flavourless gloop. Any restauraunt worth is 'sauce' is gonna have a proper chilli condiment to hand....

yes... I agree, I have nothing against chilli sauces - I just wouldn't find it odd if an Italian restaurant didn't have Tabasco specifically - what with there being loads of different chilli sauces - some of which may even be Italian! Obviously if it is flavourless gloop that's not good either!

...and salt and pepper in salt and pepper pots....not some rank little bowl (Tulse Hill Hotel take note)
I quite like those bowls because you see I have an aversion to washing my hands after taking a piss so I do. I know that the salt in the little Tulse Hill Hotel bowl will kill the bacteria and the pepper will remove any unwanted odour. It's perfect for the lazy diner.

Reactions: ash
yes... I agree, I have nothing against chilli sauces - I just wouldn't find it odd if an Italian restaurant didn't have Tabasco specifically - what with there being loads of different chilli sauces - some of which may even be Italian! Obviously if it is flavourless gloop that's not good either!
I think that most places acquire Tabasco unintentionally, unless they are Mexican or the like. So a brand new place won't have it yet because they haven't had the time for it to just show up some day.

Back
Top Bottom