Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Tulse Hill news, chitter chatter and gossip

Went to the Railway today at lunchtime and was amazed at how relatively quiet it was on such a gloriously sunny day, even in the garden. It got busier by late afternoon but basically we were the only people who had lunch that I could see other than a single couple near us.

It might still be financially viable as it is, but fuck knows how much trade they are missing at weekends since they ditched their traditional pub menu. The all-vegan offering unsurprisingly didn’t last, but they’ve replaced it with a pizza-only menu, which is not much of an improvement. Who the fuck wants pizza as the only option of a sunny weekend in a pub ffs?
They could probably cut down on the drinks prices before 3, still selling at a profitable level but making less per drink. Then expect people to stay once the prices go up.

I just can’t justify the cost of pub drinking any more.

Pubs do pizza coz the staff costs are minimal compared with running a full traditional menu
But this pub had always offered a full kitchen menu, at weekends at least, for decades. Which was wildly popular. So whereas I am not privy to their finances, I would wager their switch last year from a traditional pub kitchen to a vegan Indian one was prompted not by struggling finances but by a personal preference choice by its owners. Could be wrong about that of course.

Now the Vegan cuisine has left, and the only hot food on offer at any time is pizza.

The Railway boasts the best beer garden of any pub not only in the immediate area but arguably within a one or even two-mile radius. It has ‘weekend roast lunch’ written all over it, and had previously boasted a roaring trade of it. Even the most incompetent pub manager alive would struggle to fail to make a profit with such premises at their disposal, frankly. Which makes the current situation all the more flabbergasting.

It is very sad to learn of that shots were fired by the Sainsbury's branch in Tulse Hill at around 10.00 p.m, last night - including potentially, at or through a window of the supermarket. Any witnesses to this reckless, violent behaviour, or anyone with any information about this incident has been asked to call 101, quoting CAD 8518/20May.

It is very sad to learn of that shots were fired by the Sainsbury's branch in Tulse Hill at around 10.00 p.m, last night - including potentially, at or through a window of the supermarket. Any witnesses to this reckless, violent behaviour, or anyone with any information about this incident has been asked to call 101, quoting CAD 8518/20May.
Thankfully no one was injured. Would it be unreasonable to ask if you could balance your incident reporting with some actual opinion / information / discussion occasionally rather than just parroting the latest news on the wire?

So it's the first anniversary of the Queen of the South. I can't say it's really captured my imagination but what do others think of the place?

It’s ok. Never that busy when I’ve been in - which tends to be mid afternoon on Saturdays or Sundays.

The idea of a jerk roast sounds great though - not had a chance to try it yet

I went to the Railway one Friday night a couple of months ago, stopped in QOS, they were playing loud commercial RnB music (probably my least favourite music in the world), and it wasnt very busy, so i left immediately. Cant say much more on the place than that.

I went to the Railway one Friday night a couple of months ago, stopped in QOS, they were playing loud commercial RnB music (probably my least favourite music in the world), and it wasnt very busy, so i left immediately. Cant say much more on the place than that.
The one time I thought about going in, I was immediately put off by the collection of club-style crowd barriers outside. And if I had got as far as the door, hearing commercial RnB would have brought in an instant swerve to the Railway.

I’ve been in a couple of times and haven’t enjoyed it. I might not be the demographic they’re looking for, ie awkward single men in their 40s, looking to have a pint and not eat.

QotS now seems to be going quite heavily on the sports to try to get a crowd in. They’ll maybe pick up a few crowds for the Euros, but my instinct would be only to go if the Railway was too full.

I’ve been in a couple of times and haven’t enjoyed it. I might not be the demographic they’re looking for, ie awkward single men in their 40s, looking to have a pint and not eat.

QotS now seems to be going quite heavily on the sports to try to get a crowd in. They’ll maybe pick up a few crowds for the Euros, but my instinct would be only to go if the Railway was too full.
Yeah, I think they've really got to come up with an offering that's markedly different to the Railway which has football pretty much sewn up.

I occasionally take a look at the QoS's website but I've never seen anything to tempt me inside.

So it's the first anniversary of the Queen of the South. I can't say it's really captured my imagination but what do others think of the place?
I think they deserve massive respect for the considerable investment & effort they put into the place. They are trying to do the right thing.

They have good drinks (London prices) and decent food (a bit more affordable).

As someone who is an afternoon/after work drinker, it's fairly quiet 4 - 7pm. Not really a local like the Railway is. But it's a good diverse crowd overall. It's not a white middle class boozer, like most other places locally. Some of the old locals from the White Hart still come in.

I think their business model is having a really busy pub on Friday and Saturday nights - queues outside, DJs inside etc. You can take literally thousands of pounds on a Fri/Sat - more than the whole of Mon-Thurs put together.

They've often run out of draught beer on a Monday, after a busy weekend. I think that's a bit poor, but they are trying. They are putting on nights with local DJs and doing quizzes and stuff. An easter egg hunt for the local kids. They play good music.

The space is not ideal - downstairs is a little small but they've made the best of it. There's not really any outdoor space, but they have a planning application in for a roof terrace - which I think will be good.

Overall I am very pleased they are there. We still have the pub. Some people sunk a lot of cash into it to keep it going. We are lucky.

And it shits all over the Tulse Hill Hotel tbf ;)

I'd forgotten that that place still exists!
I want to like it. They have a nice garden. And they actually do the cheapest pints in Tulse Hill - around £5.50.

But it's quiet most of the time. Not a very lively pub. Some of the bar staff are sound tho. Good to work in if you need a quiet place. A place you can take your mum for lunch when you're feeing flush on payday.

I think the hotel rooms make them most of their money. You get people from Manchester, Texas, Denmark, Germany etc. (Sometimes I tell them there's a brilliant pub in Brixton called the Prince Albert, just hop on the Number 2 mate, it's 8 mins away ;) )

They will do well in the summer, and when the Euros are on.

I want to like it. They have a nice garden. And they actually do the cheapest pints in Tulse Hill - around £5.50.

But it's quiet most of the time. Not a very lively pub. Some of the bar staff are sound tho. Good to work in if you need a quiet place. A place you can take your mum for lunch when you're feeing flush on payday.

I think the hotel rooms make them most of their money. You get people from Manchester, Texas, Denmark, Germany etc. (Sometimes I tell them there's a brilliant pub in Brixton called the Prince Albert, just hop on the Number 2 mate, it's 8 mins away ;) )

They will do well in the summer, and when the Euros are on.
You're still on commission from the Albert, then? :D

Hundreds of residents on Tulse Hill Estate are demanding action from their Lambeth Council slum landlord, which they claim is ignoring urgent repairs needed on their homes ...

Residents of south London housing estate demand urgent repairs
Residents on Tulse Hill Estate in the heart of Tulse Hill continue to demand action from their Lambeth Council slum landlord:

The rundown South London estate where residents say mould is so bad 'kids have to sleep in living room'

0_Picture2.jpg

(Source: High Trees)

Residents of Tulse Hill Estate protested about conditions in their homes outside Lambeth Town Hall in May.

Lambeth Council didn't listen to them.​

Lakaydia Reynolds appeared on national television earlier today to speak of her experience:

According to the Metropolitan Police:

'The owner of the dogs had left with the animals before officers arrived. He later contacted police on Wednesday, 7 June (2023) (the day after the attack) and voluntarily handed three dogs to officers. They were taken into police kennels.

'The owner of the dogs was interviewed under caution on Thursday, 15 June (2023) and remains under investigation.

'Following an extensive examination, one of the dogs was found to be a male American Pitbull Terrier, which is a prohibited type under S1 of the Dangerous Dogs Act. The owner was informed and decided to give up ownership; the dog was euthanised with the owner’s awareness and permission on 4 July (2023).'

The other dogs remain in police kennels at this time while further enquiries are carried out.

Lakaydia Reynolds was lucky to escape with her life when she was attacked by a Pitbull Terrier, an American Bully cross-breed, and a Staffordshire Bull Terrier cross-breed, in Abbots Park, but was hospitalised for a week, needed plastic surgery and suffered nerve damage to her lip. She also lost the use of her right arm and was unable to play rugby or her violin. She says the attack has ruined her life.

84625131-13476975-Pictured_Darren_Massey_speaks_on_the_phone_outside_of_Croydon_Ma-a-1_1717086185545.jpg

(Source: as stated in image)

At Croydon Magistrates' Court on 30 May 2024, local man Darren Massay pleaded guilty to three counts of being the owner of a dangerous dog, and he has been given unconditional bail and until he is sentenced at Inner London Crown Court on a date to be fixed.

In 2019, almost exactly four years before this potentially lethal attack, the same Darren Massay was sentenced to three years and seven months' imprisonment for his role in a group of 11 people from South London and Gillingham involved in supplying heroin and crack cocaine in the Medway towns.

Lakaydia Reynolds was lucky to escape with her life when she was attacked by a Pitbull Terrier, an American Bully cross-breed, and a Staffordshire Bull Terrier cross-breed, in Abbots Park, but was hospitalised for a week, needed plastic surgery and suffered nerve damage to her lip. She also lost the use of her right arm and was unable to play rugby or her violin. She says the attack has ruined her life.

84625131-13476975-Pictured_Darren_Massey_speaks_on_the_phone_outside_of_Croydon_Ma-a-1_1717086185545.jpg

(Source: as stated in image)

At Croydon Magistrates' Court on 30 May 2024, local man Darren Massay pleaded guilty to three counts of being the owner of a dangerous dog, and he has been given unconditional bail and until he is sentenced at Inner London Crown Court on a date to be fixed.

In 2019, almost exactly four years before this potentially lethal attack, the same Darren Massay was sentenced to three years and seven months' imprisonment for his role in a group of 11 people from South London and Gillingham involved in supplying heroin and crack cocaine in the Medway towns.
Where is the yawn emoji ?
Oh here it is ….. 🥱

In probably the most mundane news updates you’ll ever read in this thread, yesterday I saw a lorry taking away materials from the building site opposite the THH (as opposed to bringing them in), which I guess doesn’t bode well for any hopes of construction resuming any time soon.

The other Earth-shattering event taking place in TH was the Co-Op being forced to take cash only for payments earlier today, due to some IT issue. Every single scab till was out of order, and there was a big queue for the cash machine inside the store.

In probably the most mundane news updates you’ll ever read in this thread, yesterday I saw a lorry taking away materials from the building site opposite the THH (as opposed to bringing them in), which I guess doesn’t bode well for any hopes of construction resuming any time soon.

The other Earth-shattering event taking place in TH was the Co-Op being forced to take cash only for payments earlier today, due to some IT issue. Every single scab till was out of order, and there was a big queue for the cash machine inside the store.
There’s a place in Co Down called Sheepbridge where they started to build something similar to what’s in that site, then had to stop due to the financial crisis in 2008.

It has never been finished because, apparently, once you stop building those strucfures they decay fairly rapidly and the amount of work to take them down can negate any . Although I guess the value of land will be much greater in Tulse Hill than at the Sheepbridge.

It has never been finished because, apparently, once you stop building those strucfures they decay fairly rapidly
Yeah, especially steel frames like that. It won't be painted or detailed to cope with the weather so all the joints will start rusting through.

Wow… so I guess we might be looking at potentially many years of that concrete structure standing there, together with that hideous, kerb-encroaching fence for good measure.

And building on Crispy ‘s post, I find the continuing presence of the crane far more concerning. I am sure they must be built to certain standards regarding resistance to winds and the elements, but surely they (or at least the particular type of crane erected here) are not designed to sit idle for years on end? At the very least, not without regular maintenance checks. I might have missed any such work of course, but I have never seen any workers near it since the company went bust, not even the very few times I saw people on the site.

Wow… so I guess we might be looking at potentially many years of that concrete structure standing there, together with that hideous, kerb-encroaching fence for good measure.

And building on Crispy ‘s post, I find the continuing presence of the crane far more concerning. I am sure they must be built to certain standards regarding resistance to winds and the elements, but surely they (or at least the particular type of crane erected here) are not designed to sit idle for years on end? At the very least, not without regular maintenance checks. I might have missed any such work of course, but I have never seen any workers near it since the company went bust, not even the very few times I saw people on the site.
I suppose that, in London, the value of the land will never be less than the cost to demolish and dismantle all that partially built stuff.

So whoever owns the land can sell it and subtract those costs from their price.

I suppose that, in London, the value of the land will never be less than the cost to demolish and dismantle all that partially built stuff.

So whoever owns the land can sell it and subtract those costs from their price.
I thought concrete actually gets stronger with time, at least according to various documentaries I’ve watched about dams. But I know fuck all about construction, so perhaps restarting the build and securing an appropriate joint between the existing concrete columns and newly added concrete is a problem if there is a long time gap.

Back
Top Bottom