Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Trevor Horn, genius or absolute f*cking genius?

Genius or absolute fucking genius

• Genius

• Absolute fucking genius

• I like Stock Aitken and Wateman

Results are only viewable after voting.
a quick read of his wiki page... and now I'm sad.

On 25 June 2006, while at home from Goldsmiths College, University of London, Aaron was practising with his air rifle, not realising his mother was close by. A 4.5 mm (.177 calibre) air gun pellet accidentally hit Jill in the neck, severing an artery and causing irreversible brain damage from hypoxia, leaving only her lower brain functions and no chance for recovery.[59] She was taken to the Royal Berkshire Hospital intensive care unit where her condition was described as "critical but stable". Communication from ZTT Records confirmed on 1 September 2006 that Jill was in a natural coma and had been moved to a rehabilitation centre. In September 2009, Horn told The Times confirmed that she was still in a coma.[60] In June 2012, Horn told The Sunday Times that his wife was not in a coma, but, "She cannot speak, move, or smile. The only expression she can show is of discomfort."[59] Jill Sinclair died of cancer on 22 March 2014, aged 61.[61]
[62]

He's a good bass player and The Buggles was fun, but genius? In what way?
He was/is a perfectionist/obsessive/domineering producer, working hard to get the sound he wants. He cut his wedding reception short so he could go back to work on Yes' Drama. When the Pet Shop Boys got him to work on Left to My Own Devices they thought it'd take a couple of weeks but it took Horn several months as he added a live orchestra and loads of studio work. The band Frankie Goes to Hollywood barely feature on Welcome to the Pleasure Dome after he'd finished producing it.

His 12" mixes of Propaganda are some of the best mixes pressed on vinyl.

Apparently he didn't have much input to the propaganda album as he was so impressed with what the band were doing he just left them to it. Looking forward to reading about this in the book.

I loved the ZTT label stuff - Paul Morley's odd liner notes and slogans + Trevor Horn's production.

I liked that he made everything sound absolutely enormous and wasn't afraid of doing several stupidly long mixes of songs - the ZTT "cassingles" had some mad versions on them.

It's of its time and works well as part of a balanced musical diet, but still does the trick for me,

Also worth mentioning - ABC's "Lexicon of Love" and the Malcolm McLaren "Duck Rock" album with Buffalo Girls and all the early hip hop radio bits. Classics.

Another thread where the epiphet genius is bestowed on someone or something.
The other thread is musical genius where it seems to be a list of who or what people like atm.
I don't know much of the back ground of TH although I know most of the output being contemporaneous with it.
So my question is, what raises him to genius level?

Back
Top Bottom