Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Travelling from the UK to the USA with a criminal record

Hi all!

Before anyone says it... I have read the forum but my query seems like it provokes a lot of discussion!

A friend has a GBH with intent conviction and spent 16 months in prison - he was released over 10 years ago etc etc.

He has completely turned his life around and is a qualified accountant now, (he had to have discussions with the accountancy body regarding his convictions and they approved him).

He wants to visit the states with his girlfriend to propose... Does it seem like if he goes down the Visa route he may actually get approved for a visa or the waiver?

Thanks in advance guys!!

Hi all!

Before anyone says it... I have read the forum but my query seems like it provokes a lot of discussion!

A friend has a GBH with intent conviction and spent 16 months in prison - he was released over 10 years ago etc etc.

He has completely turned his life around and is a qualified accountant now, (he had to have discussions with the accountancy body regarding his convictions and they approved him).

He wants to visit the states with his girlfriend to propose... Does it seem like if he goes down the Visa route he may actually get approved for a visa or the waiver?

Thanks in advance guys!!
If you have read the thread you will know that the general advice is to answer no to all the questions on the ESTA and take your chances or apply for a proper visa and who knows what the outcome will be. The rules change all the time and it is totally unpredictable.

HTH

Hi all, I’m hoping someone could please give me some advice as I think I’m in a bit of a situation here :facepalm: I’ll try and keep it short and informative, I’ll also keep the forum updated on my progress so to help others make decisions in the future

so I have a few minor convictions from over 10 years ago (drug caution, affray and assault) I have some work coming up in America to work for a few weeks so I’ll need to be getting a b1 visa as I can’t go down the ESTA route. I’ve completed my ds160 and ticked no to convictions as I doubt I have any chance of getting visa granted in time if I declare.

Ill need to attend a visa interview at some point, is it likely that they will run the background checks on my criminal history? I have sponsorship letters from my company and will be requesting an expedited visa as I’ll need to be traveling soon.

I really hope these mistakes as a teenager won't come back to haunt me and ruin my future career progression.

thanks for any advice

Last edited:
Ill need to attend a visa interview at some point, is it likely that they will run the background checks on my criminal history? I have sponsorship letters from my company and will be requesting an expedited visa as I’ll need to be traveling soon.
They have no access to your criminal history, the American Embassy in the UK does not have access to the police national computer.

If you give them cause for concern they could apply to the Home Office for further details about you, but this isn't common practice unless they have suspicions or you are going to work in an area of national security.

There is no requirement for you to provide a Disclosure and Barring Service document (DBS check) when applying for a B1 visa, if they are suspicious because of the way you answer the questions, you're fucked, as they can request a copy if they want (they can do lots of things that are not requirements of the visa because they have what they call "discretion" and I know they have asked for DBS documents, bank statement and the like in the past for people applying for a B1 visa) , but as it isn't a requirement for your type of visa they are unlikely to ask you to provide one.

Last edited:
Thank you! I don’t need an ACRO certificate as it’s not on the list of documents I have to provide. My only worry was if they decided to check It out for themselves before my visa interview

Make sure you are consistent when telling little white lies. It's easy to be sucked into some online form-filling, make a small mistake and find you can't go back and change your answer.

Hi all!

Thanks in advance guys!!
You've read the thread and you haven't worked out the answer to your question which has been asked thousands f times?

Sounds interesting, but presumably any car chases are quite short?
Luxembourg is rather larger than just Luxembourg city, and the north of the country appears to have quite a bit of forest. There's tension between people who live in the city and the country, as you might expect, and they've their own language which sounds a bit like Portuguese but seems to be a cross between French and german

Luxembourg is rather larger than just Luxembourg city, and the north of the country appears to have quite a bit of forest. There's tension between people who live in the city and the country, as you might expect, and they've their own language which sounds a bit like Portuguese but seems to be a cross between French and german

luxembourgish or something. A Dog is a Hond to these people. madness

Thank you! I don’t need an ACRO certificate as it’s not on the list of documents I have to provide. My only worry was if they decided to check It out for themselves before my visa interview
I can't see how they can check it out before your interview, they don't have the means. As I mentioned above and you point out here "an ACRO certificate as it’s not on the list of documents I have to provide", that doesn't mean they will not request one, they can and do ask for further information. As someone else pointed out above "Make sure you are consistent when telling little white lies", it appear that the only "lie" you will need to tell them is you don't have a criminal record (or more commonly they ask in face to face interview "have you ever been arrested") just stick to "no". Don't pull a face like you are amazed or insulted they asked and don't elaborate, as a simple "no" is all they need.

To be more convincing when lying face to face, it really does help to practice. Get someone to ask you the questions, repeatedly. It will make you less nervous at show time.

You have 3 options (all of them a gamble that may or may not pay off)

1 lie on your esta application and hope you get away with it.
2 apply at embassy for a visa and confess everything, and hope they don't refuse it.
3 (if you know the right people) get a fake passport in another name and hope you get away with it.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom