Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Travelling from the UK to the USA with a criminal record

Only if by the ‘last few years’ you mean 1941, which is when five eyes started ( it was originally a marking) and it’s not about criminal record exchange- that’s done via bilaterals.

But other than that, spot on post.

Of course the situation with criminal records and Australia has changed recently. They are no longer obligatory…

Five Eyes - Wikipedia

Yet they can demand your devices & passwords and go through em at border customs, did it to me. $2000 and/or no entry if you refuse.

Was amazing when they opened the poly bag with my jogging shoes in and all this white powder fell out. I’d been for a sweaty midnight run in Thailand the night before and emptied a bottle of talc into it to temper the whiff.

Hi all , from Aus here. Ive read all posts and wanted to know if anyone been through on a esta with a minor conviction (trespassing ). most posts obviously been from UK just wondering if any australians been in a simialr postion ?? thanks all

Hello,

Does anyone have any recent experience (2023) of travelling to the US? I’m travelling in 3 weeks and worried about the UK-US biometric sharing deal and if this will flag anyone who has been arrested when they take your finger prints?

My conviction (theft) was from 9 years ago.

Thank you to everyone who has posted their past experiences.
How did you go with this?

Hi all , from Aus here. Ive read all posts and wanted to know if anyone been through on a esta with a minor conviction (trespassing ). most posts obviously been from UK just wondering if any australians been in a simialr postion ?? thanks all

The question on the ESTA app regarding convictions is "Have you ever been arrested or convicted for a crime that resulted in serious damage to property, or serious harm to another person or government authority?"

They are not bothered about trespassing and other minor stuff.

I have a family friend who went with 1 DUI charge and went into secondary questioning. Anyone know how they knew about it ??? he’s from Aus and happened like 15years ago

If anyone has been in 2023 an ticked no on esta and gotten through please update , I was charged with trespassing and fraud but fraud got dropped cos they thought I snuck into a ticket event via fraud but then dropped it and just charged me with trespassing. I walked into a media room at a sport even ( Age 20 to take Insta pic silly I know). I got esta approved as it didn’t even ask bout the petty trespassing charge. To also mention it is spent. I’m scared it’ll pop up when I go through immigration and be questioned then possibly denied. So any updates from 2023 will be amazing. I’ve read people getting in with way more serious charges but anything up to date will be so nice. ( I’m from aus but I know UK and Aus share the same agreement with USA)

Isn't it on the form you have to fill out before landing? Where they ask if you have ever belonged to a subversive organisation, or committed genocide, or sneaked into a venue?

If anyone has been in 2023 an ticked no on esta and gotten through please update , I was charged with trespassing and fraud but fraud got dropped cos they thought I snuck into a ticket event via fraud but then dropped it and just charged me with trespassing. I walked into a media room at a sport even ( Age 20 to take Insta pic silly I know). I got esta approved as it didn’t even ask bout the petty trespassing charge. To also mention it is spent. I’m scared it’ll pop up when I go through immigration and be questioned then possibly denied. So any updates from 2023 will be amazing. I’ve read people getting in with way more serious charges but anything up to date will be so nice. ( I’m from aus but I know UK and Aus share the same agreement with USA)

I've already answered this but seeing as you seem intent on ignoring that, fuck it.

You will almost certainly get busted at US customs, fucked-off on the next flight to where you came from, and be unable to travel to the US ever again.

I've already answered this but seeing as you seem intent on ignoring that, fuck it.

You will almost certainly get busted at US customs, fucked-off on the next flight to where you came from, and be unable to travel to the US ever again.
Why can’t you just be polite and help others out. No need to be so angry

How did you go with this?

Thanks for the nudge, kept meaning to post how I got on.
I was pretty anxious leading up to the trip and even thought about cancelling. I found this forum incredibly useful for advice, I also did some research and found a freedom of information response from the UK Home Office as well as contacting someone who used to work in immigration. All concluded that they don’t have any access to the UK database and they can only requested details if you give them enough reason to suspect. I decided to go for it - the worse that could happen was I’m sent home.

Arrived in the US and the line wasn’t too long, one officer was practically waving people through - couple questions & photo. Came to me and they opened up a new line. My officer did ask more questions than the other ones but nothing difficult (one was what aftershave I was wearing ?!). Fingerprints then I was through. There was no officers at customs either. The whole experience was fairly pleasant, even the TSA on the way back were friendly.

I had an amazing trip and would say to most people to go for it (depending on how ‘serious’ the crime). Unless anything changes in the future I plan to return.

One thing I didn’t read that anyone else experienced was officers on the way home waiting on the plane corridor questioning people. This slightly through me but had headphones in so couldn’t initially hear their questions.

Looking at your crimes I wouldn’t worry, just forget about it and be confident. Hope that helps

You'll be fine. Just say nothing. You managed to sneak into en event and a media room, America will be easy.

Yea this thread is awesome some great advice, I’m definitely going for it. I have 2 arrests from 6 years ago one for wounding with intent and another for gbh, Wounding with intent got dropped, gbh went to court and I got a not guilty. If you actually sit and think about it for them to know every crime committed in the 37 countries in the waiver program by every person it just sounds ridiculous. Imagine the carnage at customs :D.

Also there’s a lot of people on this thread who have joined not read the thread asked the same question then not even bothered to report back on how their trip went which I think is really disrespectful to the forum.

I’m going to be following this thread until I travel and will report back to contribute to the forum.

Also thanks to the people who have reported back and to the members for offering advice. Also 1927 has been posting on this thread since 2006 which is fucking awesome:)
Well how did u go along with this

Hi thinking of travelling to USA in 2022. I have criminal records and don't know if to declare or not. In 1991 I was with a girl in town we were kissing I put my hand up her skirt. Next day she reported me I admitted it and was charged with indecent assault where I got a fine. In 1995 I was done for drunken disorderly and threatening language which I got a fine for. In 1999 I stupidly took a few magazines out of a newsagents which I was arrested for shoplifting again another fine. No convictions since I have a family and a house. What would be my chances of getting into America?
How’d u go with this

Back
Top Bottom