Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Transgender athletes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dandred

Mmmmm Beer!
I know this a subject which has stirred a debate, however I feel like urban 75 is a place were a topic like this can be discussed.

I have no problem with trans men or women, if fact the whole idea of people not being able to use bathrooms when they all have stalls seem laughable.

However, a male to female trans women taking part in a weight lifting completion seems a little strange to me.

I would love to see an Olympics in which all people can compete as one, is it time to just make all events open to all and stop with the archaic male / female gender construct?

Humans that grew up with greater amounts of testosterone have a distinct advantage where physical sports are concerned.
Most athletes have a distinct physical advantage in some way or another. It's how they got to be elite athletes.

I think Phelps is always the one that gets cited as the obvious example.

Should really look it up, but from memory I think it's partly the size of his limbs and hands/feet (though obviously true of lots of swimmers), but I think there's also something that means he fatigues slower enough than others (maybe produces less lactic acid? Not sure...) to give him the advantage that is borne out by his success.

This’ll go well.
Although, yeah, this.

I know this a subject which has stirred a debate, however I feel like urban 75 is a place were a topic like this can be discussed.

I have no problem with trans men or women, if fact the whole idea of people not being able to use bathrooms when they all have stalls seem laughable.

However, a male to female trans women taking part in a weight lifting completion seems a little strange to me.

I would love to see an Olympics in which all people can compete as one, is it time to just make all events open to all and stop with the archaic male / female gender construct?

Have you seen the other transgender threads on here?

fuck off

Fwiw transgender athletes have been allowed in the Olympics since 2004, with some relaxation of the rules in 2015. Laurel Hubbard will be the first openly transgender athlete to compete in the Olympic games this year (weightlifting, which will undoubtedly stir additional controversy).

The arguments around the science are complex, and I doubt we'd do them proper justice even if we could get over the fundamental issues we have with this argument on here.

Probably time to step away now... :hmm:

Men are bigger and stronger than women. Clearly there is a very wide range across all of humanity and any woman capable of running in the Olympics can certainly run faster than 99.999% of the general male population but she wouldn't be competing against them but the 0.0001% of the male population that are of Olympic standard. There are reasons why boxers fight in different weight classes (and do you really think male vs female combative sports are even remotely a good idea?) and why in figure skating it's the man that lifts the woman and not the other way round. There are some 'sports' where sex really doesn't matter (as I discovered the hard way when I first played pool against Mrs Q and she wiped the floor with me)
But almost all competive sports are single sex for biological reasons not social ones, Being treated equally is different from being treated the same.

You can't win these days without taking performance enhancing drugs, so I don't see what the fuss is about.

Men are bigger and stronger than women. Clearly there is a very wide range across all of humanity and any woman capable of running in the Olympics can certainly run faster than 99.999% of the general male population but she wouldn't be competing against them but the 0.0001% of the male population that are of Olympic standard. There are reasons why boxers fight in different weight classes (and do you really think male vs female combative sports are even remotely a good idea?) and why in figure skating it's the man that lifts the woman and not the other way round. There are some 'sports' where sex really doesn't matter (as I discovered the hard way when I first played pool against Mrs Q and she wiped the floor with me)
But almost all competive sports are single sex for biological reasons not social ones, Being treated equally is different from being treated the same.
Do you think there should be two Olympics?

Do you think there should be two Olympics?
Last time I checked there was, one for able bodied athletes and the Paralympics (which also is sex segregated), do you think Paraympians should be required to compete in the regular Olympics that's even less fair isn't it?

I can't Imagine this thread going anywhere good.

I mean i'd be interested in hearing what the debate is like within the trans community about gender segregation in sports as a whole but I do not think that's what we are going to get here.
Some of the stuff said about trans athletes in other threads was fucking disgraceful and I don't every want to see it again.

Last time I checked there was, one for able bodied athletes and the Paralympics (which also is sex segregated), do you think Paraympians should be required to compete in the regular Olympics that's even less fair isn't it?
Can you rephrase that please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom