Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Train v hire car in uk, challenge

dessiato

🇪🇸 my spirit is crying for leaving
I need to travel Grimsby to Longniddry on 30th September. One way. One passenger. I must be in Longniddry no later than 18:30. This time is not negotiable.

Changes are not a big problem. I want a pre-booked seat. I can/will get a railcard if it makes sufficient cost savings.

Trainline is saying £162 to travel early-ish (about 10:30)

I can get 4 day, one way, car rental for about £200.

There's a lot of people on here who can, they say, get super cheap rail fares.

So, here's the challenge. Find me that ticket.

View attachment 289134

or google cheapest fare finder and go to the national rail link.

Dont know if 5 hours is too long for you though?
Split tickets might be cheaper still.

1632040206426.png

NB - you don't need to book via that site if you don't want to pay the booking fee - you can buy the tickets from the train company or the trainline site directly.

In what way does such stupid, complicated, rail pricing make sense? ;)
It doesn't, but saving a lot of money does make sense. I can save £100+ by knowing about split tickets. I wonder how many know about this, or would look for it. My f-i-l wouldn't know, and because he can't use the internet, would rely on being given the information at the booking office.

Ticketing needs to be simplified.

Split tickets might be cheaper still.

View attachment 289140

NB - you don't need to book via that site if you don't want to pay the booking fee - you can buy the tickets from the train company or the trainline site directly.

If I get a railcard I can recover the cost in one trip to the UK, and save again at Xmas.

In what way does such stupid, complicated, rail pricing make sense? ;)
Eehhh hummm!

I think you'll find that you're confusing a stupid, complicated rail pricing system

With giving the "customer" what they've always wanted, but could never get under a nationalised railway system, and that its the choice to pay an over priced ticket charge

I've just used slitticketing to book Manchester to Cleethorpes. Trainline was 62€, split ticketing plus using myrailcard, £16.

Why do they make you jump through so many hoops to get best price?

I've just used slitticketing to book Manchester to Cleethorpes. Trainline was 62€, split ticketing plus using myrailcard, £16.

Why do they make you jump through so many hoops to get best price?

[my bold] Because they rely on people not knowing about the cheaper stuff, or making it too difficult to access, so they can (effectively) make more money out of you. It is designed that way. Beware of travelling on the wrong company's trains or not on a specified train !

I admit that BR had some faults, but their all-lines ticketing & timetabling system was not one of them (yes, it was fiendishly complicated if you didn't travel often, but nothing like as anti-passenger as the current franchised nightmare)

I'm a 47 year old mature student and needed a Railcard last year because I got sent on a work placement twenty miles away. They don't actually have a 'mature students railcard' or anything so they gave me a 16-25 one. The first couple of times I got inspected I blurted out the whole story but none of the inspectors were phased by it in the slightest.

It really wasn't much better with BR. The split ticketing, routing tables, special fares via certain lines, restricted advanced tickets etc all existed back then. All the current hideousness was decades in the making and cannot be simplified, it needs abolishing and starting over.

It certainly does.

There is a new service starting soon that will do Edinburgh to London return for about £80.00 max.

I'm a 47 year old mature student and needed a Railcard last year because I got sent on a work placement twenty miles away. They don't actually have a 'mature students railcard' or anything so they gave me a 16-25 one. The first couple of times I got inspected I blurted out the whole story but none of the inspectors were phased by it in the slightest.

How dare you take the piss out of my progeria?

Reactions: tim
Back
Top Bottom