Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Traffic news apps for travelling in cars

danny la rouge

More like *fanny* la rouge!
I’m planning a long journey by car to Rye in September. So I’m sorting out my app needs.

I wonder: is there a reliable app that will tell you in-journey about accidents, roadworks, route adjustments?

I generally use the native apple app on my iPhone for directions. And this works very well in general. However, it doesn’t always know the latest road closures, and has in the past directed me in a circle back to the closure when I’ve tried to reroute in the past. This doesn’t happen a lot, and for shorter journeys it works well, but I need this long journey to go well (because of my health conditions).

[Yes, I could use a train and ideally would. But they’re expensive and would mean taxis either end of the journey, and throughout the stay. I have a blue badge and wish to make use of that during my stay as my mobility is impaired].

So: Waze? Is that what I’m looking for?

I tried Waze out when I went down to the East End to pick up daughter two (I know the way, but ykwim), and it didn’t work. It said I had to turn on the app on the phone to track my location. Well I’m not fiddling about with the phone when I’m driving, that’s pretty much the point of CarPlay. So I’m not sure what to think. Presumably you turn it on on the phone before setting off. Bit weird.

I tried Waze out when I went down to the East End to pick up daughter two (I know the way, but ykwim), and it didn’t work. It said I had to turn on the app on the phone to track my location. Well I’m not fiddling about with the phone when I’m driving, that’s pretty much the point of CarPlay. So I’m not sure what to think. Presumably you turn it on on the phone before setting off. Bit weird.
sounds like you hadn't given it permissions to access the GPStype sat receiver in the phone before you tried to use it

Waze is pretty good. You have to give it permission to use your location once. I’d give it another go.

Apple Maps apparently uses their own traffic data by tracking iPhone users. But I don’t like it that much.

Waze. Iv used it to great effect, taken me on detours during long motorway trips, rerouted journeys mid trip, when Iv ignored it and pressed on with a route it has proven me wrong several times

ed to add... when it gets down to country lanes it can be a bit hit and miss and can have blind spots

Waze is pretty good. You have to give it permission to use your location once. I’d give it another go.

Apple Maps apparently uses their own traffic data by tracking iPhone users. But I don’t like it that much.
Apple has by far the clearest visual and voice instructions of all the apps I’ve seen. It actually pisses all over Google Maps on that respect.

Unfortunately its directions are not so great, especially regarding LTNs. There’s a particular one in Fulham that nearly two years after it came into effect Apple Maps is still unaware of, and keeps trying to send me through.

I did. This is the setting I have:

IMG_4676.jpeg
Yeah, but it doesn’t update very quickly. There’s a one way system that came in near me a couple of years ago and it still tries to send me the wrong way down it. I reported the problem to them, too.

I use google maps and it gives you live traffic/diversions etc. Waze told me the street I was going to in Switzerland didn’t exist and sent me across a pedestrian only bridge which wasn’t great so I’ve not used it since

I did. This is the setting I have:

View attachment 440080

Yeah, but it doesn’t update very quickly. There’s a one way system that came in near me a couple of years ago and it still tries to send me the wrong way down it. I reported the problem to them, too.
"while using the "app can take a little while to localise you when you first start the app where "always" means the gps and compass data is there soon as you start the app

Last edited:
What's the hurry man, chill out, relax a bit. If you get delayed, are you going to save much time by ducking and diving on lots of smaller roads in built up areas which can cause more stress. The best time for a break and losing the least amount of time is when the traffic is slow.

i prefer Waze when driving , but google maps is great for walking and public transport - when walking in more built up areas the the whole pick the phone up and spin round with the camera on to improve accuracy and direction sensing things is the mutts nutts

Yeah this.

What's the hurry man, chill out, relax a bit. If you get delayed, are you going to save much time by ducking and diving on lots of smaller roads in built up areas which can cause more stress. The best time for a break and losing the least amount of time is when the traffic is slow.
I'd rather be travelling on smaller roads than being stuck on a motorway cos there's been an accident.

I don't mind moving consistently slowly - no issues with the 20 zones that enrage many - but stop and go does my head in. I always have to remind myself that even with the stop and go the M25 is much, much faster than the alternatives. (which are all busy roads in their own right and full of traffic stops)

Back
Top Bottom