Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Tokyo Olympics Composer is a shit

Oh dear he sounds like a right dirtbag.
I thought Cornelius was a group actually. Luckily I haven't really liked any of his stuff apart from maybe the counting song. . .

Should have go the train station melody guy to do it. I love his jingles.

“I apologize to everyone who may have felt discomfort and mistrust” due to my past comments, Oyamada tweeted.

Vague and insincere.

Olympic composer apologizes for historic actions | The Asahi Shimbun: Breaking News, Japan News and Analysis

Perhaps the vagueness is unintentional or the sincerity lost in translation?

He does at least appear to be acknowledging that he was quite the shitbag in the past and his actions were "terrible" and not apologizing at the time was "a very foolish attempt on [his] part for self-preservation"

I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt here sure, but I do like to think people aren't beyond redemption and forgiveness.

Perhaps the vagueness is unintentional or the sincerity lost in translation?

He does at least appear to be acknowledging that he was quite the shitbag in the past and his actions were "terrible" and not apologizing at the time was "a very foolish attempt on [his] part for self-preservation"

I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt here sure, but I do like to think people aren't beyond redemption and forgiveness.

Of course. People can and do change.

But allegedly forcing disabled students to eat shit and wank in front of other students is quite a big forgive. Especially for the students, at a guess.

Train station guy is awesome.

It's the real reason this self moved to Japan.

I have one of his albums somewhere, but it's actually a bit shit.
The shinkohiwa chuo sobu line jingle is my ringtone. I love an album of JRs greatest hits. They could do albums of the different lines, with covers matching the signage.
Salivates

Of course. People can and do change.

But allegedly forcing disabled students to eat shit and wank in front of other students is quite a big forgive. Especially for the students, at a guess.
If I ever got to make a magazine series of documentaries in Japan this would be so high on my list.
The whole reason I started leaning Japanese (which became the reason I met my wife) was because I was supposed to make such a show while I was at ITV, but sadly it was dropped).

If I ever got to make a magazine series of documentaries in Japan this would be so high on my list.
The whole reason I started leaning Japanese (which became the reason I met my wife) was because I was supposed to make such a show while I was at ITV, but sadly it was dropped).

Mixed feelings about Japan docs/series. Usually it's the "oh, aren't they strange/cute/innovative/polite/dolphin killers" with the obligatory shots of the crossing in Shibuya or matsuri revellers hauling around phalluses and running into the freezing cold sea etc.

That said, it was probably Peter Duncan's bottom that sealed my fate.

That's the real reason.

Mixed feelings about Japan docs/series. Usually it's the "oh, aren't they strange/cute/innovative/polite/dolphin killers" with the obligatory shots of the crossing in Shibuya or matsuri revellers hauling around phalluses and running into the freezing cold sea etc.

That's the real reason.

The James May one was surprisingly good, only the tea ceremony one bit me angry.

The Joanna Lumley one was basically nothing but cliche.

The James May one was surprisingly good, only the tea ceremony one bit me angry.

Agreed.

The bit that annoyed most was his comedy sidekick at the standup. Resorting to the stupid gaijin jokes when he dried up.

Agreed.

The bit that annoyed most was his comedy sidekick at the standup. Resorting to the stupid gaijin jokes when he dried up.
Really? We tried to watch that as a family and gave up almost immediately. I thought it was well shit.

That's the real reason.
Weeeeel, I have the same mixed feelings. As with all these things I would probably try to find things are are genuinely interesting and inevitably somewhere along the line they would be Eurotrashed by commissioners.

Anyway, I got free Japanese lessons and a lot of time off work looking into it, and the show never got made. Win win win.

Same happens the other way around. You'd think that the English were all pearly kings and queens rolling cheese down hills all day.
I'm made plenty of UK TV shows about English people being twats.

Recommendations for decent/must watch series/docs on Japan?
Not sure if I have ever seen any. It's all very much as you have described and always the same old shit.
There was something on the BBC many years ago that documented a Japanese local election. Double great because there was zero voice over, interview or commentary, it was all old school fly on the wall slice of life documentary.

A friend of mine made a DVD documentary called Garage Rockin' Craze about the underground garage rock scene in Japan. It's a bit too long and could do with some re-editing, tightening and polish in places, but I quite enjoyed that.

Bullying disabled people then doing the music to the paralymipics is a gold medal in soul crushing irony.
...the the opening ceremony's concept being "the ability to celebrate differences, to empathise, and to live side by side with compassion for one another."

:rolleyes:

I only just read about him TBF but then again I'm not in charge of commissioning the olympics music...

Result.

Hopefully people take notice.

The whole Tokyo Olympics seems to be going for the full shit fest but at least this makes me have hope that the closing ceremony won't just be this

Dw6R9vBUYAUx7rt.jpg

I find the same thing with China documentaries, and I was only there a year.

Not sure if I have ever seen any. It's all very much as you have described and always the same old shit.
There was something on the BBC many years ago that documented a Japanese local election. Double great because there was zero voice over, interview or commentary, it was all old school fly on the wall slice of life documentary.

A friend of mine made a DVD documentary called Garage Rockin' Craze about the underground garage rock scene in Japan. It's a bit too long and could do with some re-editing, tightening and polish in places, but I quite enjoyed that.

Tell you what, the Abroad in Japan channel on YouTube is amusing. Does a bit more travel and taking the piss but mostly out of himself and his mates.

Back
Top Bottom