Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Toilet won't stop!

The cistern is that black box behind your bog. Mine sticks sometimes so the valve doesn't close and it keeps emptying while trying to fill. Usually if you press the flush again it sorts it out.
The flush mechanism is inside the cistern so you need to get in there as you have disconnected the flush mechanism.

As for the leak it may be coming from the pipe that links the cistern to the bog. Usually there is a large plastic nut under the cistern. Check if it's tight. The other end of the pipe has a rubber seal on it to make a seal with the bog. Make sure it's pushed into the bog fully. :)

Good advice from teuchter surely who ever put it in expected it at some point to be looked at

give it a few bangs around to see if it loose up
It should slide, but it's stuck in place. Probably because of the cold. It's not easy to get enoough purchase to yank it out. Maybe i can find some oil in the garage or something. Or a very strong plumber. But I'm having no luck.

The bit at the bottom is a valve. In the middle of it is a slot. You give that a half turn with a screwdriver and it will turn the supply to the cistern off.

GPID_1000359154_IMG_00.jpeg

I.e this thing. The sticky up bit in the middle is the bit that you turn. If it's stiff hit it with a bit of WD40 or similar, if you have it.
Thanks, we turned the main water off for now. Filled up some bowls for a cold drink and teeth brushing etc.

ahh fair play as i don't know if you own it

mentioned it to the owner if you are renting or get someone around to make sure this never happens again

hope you have a plumper soon

Thanks, we turned the main water off for now. Filled up some bowls for a cold drink and teeth brushing etc.

Give it a go. Useful thing to be able to do. Ask the plumber to show you if it's stiff <commence adult video>... They can probably free it up in case you have trouble in future.

Give it a go. Useful thing to be able to do. Ask the plumber to show you if it's stiff <commence adult video>... They can probably free it up in case you have trouble in future.
Main concern now is getting that panel out. I've got it move slightly, but i just can't get a good grip (FFS).

Last edited:
It should slide, but it's stuck in place. Probably because of the cold.
What's on the walls just above it? For example, have they been tiled by someone who didn't realise it was supposed to be removable, or is there silicon sealant around the junction between it and the walls...again put there by someone who didn't know it was supposed to be removeable?

(This is one reason I've come to disapprove of concealed cisterns and access panels in general)

I've had the same thing and it's almost certainly the stopcock valve - and that can be fixed by forcing it up.

Why would that cause water to leak through the floor though? unless the pipe is blocked it will just be constantly flushing I would have thought.
Anyway I bet it’s a split cyphon.

Last edited:
Apparently the plumber has done his magic. Tore up half the bathroom to get access to the cistern. Bloody stupid design if you ask me, but it shouldn't have gotten stuck in place.

Something also weird happened to the tube that feeds the button to flush. It seemed to be disconnected with a piece that he initially couldn't find, or something. I'm a bit lost but he says it's working so take the money and run. I guess we'll see how long that lasts. I'm alright, we can switch off the toilet flow if needed and I can always take a shit in a field. Not quite the same for an elderly woman.

Thanks for the help, and the odd fat shaming :D

Bucket of cat litter is apparently the emergency stand by for US high schools in safety lock downs.

Apparently the plumber has done his magic. Tore up half the bathroom to get access to the cistern. Bloody stupid design if you ask me, but it shouldn't have gotten stuck in place.

Something also weird happened to the tube that feeds the button to flush. It seemed to be disconnected with a piece that he initially couldn't find, or something. I'm a bit lost but he says it's working so take the money and run. I guess we'll see how long that lasts. I'm alright, we can switch off the toilet flow if needed and I can always take a shit in a field. Not quite the same for an elderly woman.

Ah.. you're sorted.

Those hidden cisterns are a bad ides for the reasons posted in this thread. Especially when the casing has been tiled over.

Anyway...hope your loo works properly now.

Last edited:

Should anything happen again, you now have some familiarity, which can only be a good thing :thumbs:

Whileplumbing school is in session what's the solution to 'water hammer'? Since the loop read fixed there's a lot of training coming from the pipes of we run the cold tap (specifically) fully. Is this a serious issue? Is pretty loud so in the long run it can't be good for the pipes

Whileplumbing school is in session what's the solution to 'water hammer'? Since the loop read fixed there's a lot of training coming from the pipes of we run the cold tap (specifically) fully. Is this a serious issue? Is pretty loud so in the long run it can't be good for the pipes

This sort of thing?

Humming noise from pipes Faulty or vibrating ballcock valves in a water storage tank can cause a humming noise to come from pipes when the storage tank is refilling, normally after you have used water from the system. This can often be rectified by replacing the ballcock valve.

Back
Top Bottom