Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Three hours in Edinburgh...

Thats the modern three Js, eh?

Eta Guess the traditional ones probably no longer exist :(.

Might still be jam and what passes for journalism these days but DC Thomson are way worse than they used to be, and they've always been pretty grim :(

Dess, Scotland isn't always cold, your thermostat is fecked if you think that. Biggest problem with Brighton is it's in England* :p

* anyone who has an issue with this statement shouldn't be in the Scotland forum slagging off Scotland :D

So whilst we were in Skye BB1 got her offer from Abertay, a B and 2 C's. She's been predicted ABC and so this should be very do-able. She's really started to knuckle down now that she has a clear aim. So if she gets the grades she'll be off, has convinced herself that the propeller flight from London City is no more environmentally unsound than the epic train ride. It will be muggings here who has to drive her crap all the way up, 500 miles each way.

And we experienced no anti-English racism, even in a fairly rough bar in Fort William, perhaps having a young child and nice dog wearing space dinosaur pyjamas helps people warm to you a bit..?

, has convinced herself that the propeller flight from London City is no more environmentally unsound than the epic train ride. It will be muggings here who has to drive her crap all the way up, 500 miles each way.
I had to do from here to Pontypridd and back twice in a a year, you'll be grand :D
Also although Dundee to City may not be worse environmentally than the train it will cost a shitload more, but you can have you lunch in Dundee and tea in Brixton so heaps quicker than the train :D
If she does fly I hope all her flights are smoother than my last one fae Dundee to City, even the flight attendants thought we were going in the water :D

To simplify my position.

Given a choice I'd never move to Scotland, it's too grey and cold. In my experience, Glasgow is much more pleasant and friendly than is Edinburgh.

It is, however, a nice enough place to visit.

I prefer Glasgow, it is where I chose to live, but I can say without hesitation the Edinburgh is a cracking place to be,. Don't let all the tourist pish put you off, lots of lovely things to do, see and places to be. And minutes away from some lovely places for wandering aswell. It is a great city with lots going for it and if yer not a cunt, some cracking people too.

Bump. On a bit of a last minute decision we thought we'd cut our journey in half from Fort bill so I've just arrive in Edinburgh.

Where can me and the Mrs get some nice scran? We're in the West End on Haymarket.

We'll eat owt and quite like something a bit different. Boozer recommendations also welcome.

danny la rouge weepiper pogofish

Bump. On a bit of a last minute decision we thought we'd cut our journey in half from Fort bill so I've just arrive in Edinburgh.

Where can me and the Mrs get some nice scran? We're in the West End on Haymarket.

We'll eat owt and quite like something a bit different. Boozer recommendations also welcome.

danny la rouge weepiper pogofish
Don’t know that end of town well any more. Used to in the 90s. But Edinburgh is compact and I like the Mosque Kitchen in Nicolson Square, and La Favorita on Leith Walk.

Sorry just seen this friedaweed - no specific recommendations around there but there's loads of restaurants on Lothian Road (which is where you are) and towards Tollcross (turn left as you come out of the Hanging Bat).

Just thought, there's a good Greek place just up the road from there on Brougham Place, and there used to be a good Korean place on Tarvit Street although I haven't been past there in a while so not certain, it's very close by though so worth a look.

Sorry just seen this friedaweed - no specific recommendations around there but there's loads of restaurants on Lothian Road (which is where you are) and towards Tollcross (turn left as you come out of the Hanging Bat).

Just thought, there's a good Greek place just up the road from there on Brougham Place, and there used to be a good Korean place on Tarvit Street although I haven't been past there in a while so not certain, it's very close by though so worth a look.
Nice one

Just seen this - if you fancy a good Chinese, B&D's Kitchen on Dalry Road is an unassuming but excellent place and the Omar Khayyam nr the Station has long been one of my favourite places in Edinburgh for a good curry.

First Coast also gets a good name but I can't comment personally. Was thinking on going there the next time I'm down.

Must admit I really enjoyed Edinburgh last night after a few days in the outpost that Fort Bill is these days even for its M&S foodhall,

I really enjoyed my wander round this morning too. It's such an interesting city and breathtaking stunning. According to my poor feet app we did about 5 miles today just wandering pointlessly enjoying the stroll and the things we encountered. I know the main drag around Waverley fairly well but being at t'other end and having an explore around there was nice. Less tartan tea towels more funky little places for me. We still went onto the main drag but not for long, we've done that loads.

We did a fair few pubs last night as well but Cloisters was by far my favourite. A good talking pub with a few local friendly poets and board games to boot. I gave the top shelf a good shot as well.

I also rather enjoyed the Hanging Bat. It's the sort of place I'd usually rebuff for being a bit hipster and alchemy with its beer but we just walked in and I stand corrected on my attitude to over brewed beer. Lovely staff, bind boggling ale and the food looked half decent too although we didnae eat there.

The gaffer dragged us into Brewdog opposite Usher Hall because she's a Dead Pony girl and to be fair it was good craic in there because Jordan Henderson had just scored apparently. I was just happy to be in Scotland at that point seen as most of my beers that far had been 7% and upwards. :oops:

We stayed in Stay City off Grove Street and got an apartment for just shy of 65 quid for the night which had it's own kitchen and all the other shite and parking on site. Bargain = 10% off through their website and signing up to all their shite in my email.
Tesco express over the road and your own kitchen in Edinburgh. What more could you need?

We had breakie in Quinns. Traditional Scottish fare :D

Came home down the old A7 route and took a shot at the Galashiels charity shops. Snagged a nice wee tin to keep my fly tying tools in

20221205_204802.jpg20221205_204840.jpg

I fucking love Scotland.

Not long hem, soul recharged.

Thanks for the pointer local folk ;)

I've only been once (for an incredibly aggressive stag do) and loved it.

Everyone was a rugby player who played for Gibraltar so me and one other guy binned off the aggression and went for a wander.

We ended up in what I can only describe as being underneath Edinburgh. Vaults with music venues and bars etc. I went and watched a very metal band called "Surrender The Coast". They were amazing. The vaults were amazing.

I loved it. Are the vaults still a thing?

I've only been once (for an incredibly aggressive stag do) and loved it.

Everyone was a rugby player who played for Gibraltar so me and one other guy binned off the aggression and went for a wander.

We ended up in what I can only describe as being underneath Edinburgh. Vaults with music venues and bars etc. I went and watched a very metal band called "Surrender The Coast". They were amazing. The vaults were amazing.

I loved it. Are the vaults still a thing?
They're still a thing. The Caves Venue Edinburgh | Edinburgh Old Town the website makes it look quite posh but I've been to numerous sweaty gigs in there.

Back
Top Bottom