Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Three hours in Edinburgh...

Bahnhof Strasse

Met up with Hannah Courtoy a week next Tuesday
So in a couple of weeks me, Frau Bahn and the Bahn Brats shall arrive in Edinburgh Waverley at 11am on a Sunday. We need to be at the airport by 3 o'clock, so that gives us a smidge over 3 hours. Would like some lunch in that time, have been recommended The Doric. What to do with that limited time and anywhere better for some lunch (doesn't need to be a Sunday roast)?

Go out the Market St exit from Waverley for the Doric. (Can't comment on the food, not been there in years.) From there, an easy wander up Cockburn St, have a dander up the High St/Royal Mile, look at the tat. Head back and jump on a tram to the airport. (You could wander down George IV bridge, have a look at Greyfriars Bobby at the top of Candlemaker Row then head through the Grassmarket but that might be a bit tight time-wise if you're also having lunch.)

ETA If the Bahn Brats are Harry Potter fans, the cafe (The Elephant House) where JK Rowling wrote the books is on George IVth Bridge though think there was a fire there recently.

Last edited:
So in a couple of weeks me, Frau Bahn and the Bahn Brats shall arrive in Edinburgh Waverley at 11am on a Sunday. We need to be at the airport by 3 o'clock, so that gives us a smidge over 3 hours. Would like some lunch in that time, have been recommended The Doric. What to do with that limited time and anywhere better for some lunch (doesn't need to be a Sunday roast)?

weepiper is yer best bet for local knowledge.

Good pubs.. The Guildford is a good pub, cross the road from the Princes Street steps into Waverley Station and up the alley. Cafe Royal next door is a good spot too.
3 hours kinds pins you down to the city centre

I was going to say pretty much exactly the same as Sue. If the Doric is full then there's a nice little cafe at the top of Jeffrey Street which isn't far at all.

ETA If the Bahn Brats are Harry Potter fans, the cafe (The Elephant House) where JK Rowling wrote the books is on George IVth Bridge though think there was a fire there recently.
Definitely closed because of the fire at the moment :( .

Can recommend Ecco Vino at the bottom of Cockburn St if you want somewhere non-pubby, depending on the age of kids.

Good call Spymaster on the reservation, lunch was spent watching hopeful punters being turned away from The Doric. Nice food and drink, reasonable bill.

Edinburgh seemed nice enough, Christmas market was busy, bagpipers up near the castle offending me ears, but am quite pleased Baby Bahn fancies Scotland for Uni, it is a toss-up between Dundee and Brighton and I would have chosen Brighton every day of the week, but I now think she is right. So Delicious cafe is worth visiting the city on its own…

The Dome is good for lunch.

Walk up to the castle, the kids will love it. There are a load of mini museums up there and the views a excellent. It's a proper castle.

There is also a private optical illusion museum by the castle which is ace. eta Camera Obscura and World of Illusions Edinburgh - fun for all the family The spinning bridge illusion still effects me three years later...

Last edited:
The Dome was announcing it was already fully booked for food/dining for all of December several weeks ago - you may be able to get-in for a drink though IIRC that isn't reserved but there can be queues. It is a very impressive place inside and out. Plus they have amongst the best/most impressive Christmas decorations in the city.

The whole area around Waverley and that end of the New Town will be a major Christmas has Landed Zone by then though, so if that's your thing, you will be well rewarded. There is also IIRC a couple of pop-up dining areas associated with the markets that may have stuff you might like.

Yes, the World of Illusions/Camera Obscura is good - Took Mrs's Fish's boy in there and he was absolutely enthralled - even moreso than the Robots exhibition at the NMS we'd taken him to as a birthday treat!

Also remember that masks are still needed in Scotland, except when sat at your table.

Even before the fire, the Elephant House was not what it used to be - a lot less elephants for a start and the food had gone downhill under the new owners - although for a coffee and fine piece/cake sort of thing, it was still ok, if mobbed!

Last edited:
Also be aware that due to the COVID distancing measures in Edinburgh, the Airlink 100 bus to the airport is now departing from St Andrews Square, a couple of minutes walk from the station, not Waverley Bridge, which is currently closed to traffic.

Trams also go from St Andrews Square, and both services are good. Personally I prefer the tram but its six and half a dozen really The bus does drop you right at the terminal, whilst the Airport tram stop is at the end of the range of terminal buildings, so a little bit further to walk if you are hauling luggage.

If you are over in the Old Town, The Skylink 300 airport bus currently terminates at Bread St, which is just off the West Port by the Grassmarkket, so you don't have to rush back across to the New Town for the 100. It is a slower/less frequent service though.

Last edited:
Adverts all over the city for Naloxone, which was a new one on me.
It’s good that people know about it. Mrs LR carries it when she’s doing her volunteering role. The youngster phoned just this evening to see if she had any on her as she’d found somebody collapsed on QM Bridge on her way home, but she doesn’t have it at home. The youngster called an ambulance.

..., but am quite pleased Baby Bahn fancies Scotland for Uni, it is a toss-up between Dundee and Brighton and I would have chosen Brighton every day of the week, but I now think she is right. So Delicious cafe is worth visiting the city on its own…
Glasgow is nice, I prefer it to Edinburgh. It's a much warmer city than Edinburgh, as are the people.

WRT to Glasgow v Brighton I'd take Brighton everything. It's warmer in winter, the ever present cold in Scotland very quickly becomes wearisome. Even the summer is seldom warm enough to not grind you down sooner or later. When we're there in summer we always take our winter clothes.

Also there's so much more to do in Brighton, at least that's my experience. There's some great clubs, great shops, easy access to Dieppe for the gastronomy and shopping. Easy access to London.

Glasgow is a place to visit, Brighton is to live.

Glasgow is nice, I prefer it to Edinburgh. It's a much warmer city than Edinburgh, as are the people.

WRT to Glasgow v Brighton I'd take Brighton everything. It's warmer in winter, the ever present cold in Scotland very quickly becomes wearisome. Even the summer is seldom warm enough to not grind you down sooner or later. When we're there in summer we always take our winter clothes.

Also there's so much more to do in Brighton, at least that's my experience. There's some great clubs, great shops, easy access to Dieppe for the gastronomy and shopping. Easy access to London.

Glasgow is a place to visit, Brighton is to live.
I've visited Brighton and Glasgow and strange to say found that people live in both places. And Edinburgh too, I'm told

Back
Top Bottom