Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Things on T.V that scared you as a child.

mrsfran said:
The bit where the contestant ran out of life on Knightmare:

YouTube Video

The heartbeat noise was what got me!!

Did not watch much telly as a kid and never found much scary. There were plenty of things that were very odd on British kids telly in the 70/80s though. Evil Enda???

My first thought was "Threads"- it terrified me for years (and I still can't watch it now)
However, that "Noseybonk" creation is bringing back some long-buried trauma!!

FiFi said:
My first thought was "Threads"- it terrified me for years (and I still can't watch it now)
However, that "Noseybonk" creation is bringing back some long-buried trauma!!

Threads was scary as fuck. I was thinking more of kids programmes as a kid. I did catch a few adult films as a kiddy and got the willies.

Can't remember what the name of the programme was but it was some kind of early evening kids' telly where mechanical things and pylons came alive to attack humans. So traumatic that I'm still a bit scared of pylons now.

It might have been the Tomorrow People.

Anyone remember these forgotten classics?

playsafe2_sm.jpg

watched the tommyknockers with my younger brother while we were staying in a caravan (in Wales I think), while our folks were at the pub. It terrified my brother while it was on, oh how I laughed at him. But when it was over I got proper freaked out n went to find my mum n dad, got lost in what I thought was a huge forest (few trees really) and was later found in tears, proper hysterical... :oops:

some kids' drama serial which featured some things called the 'ugglie wugglies' - these kids'd made people (to act as an audience?) out of old clothes and newspaper and stuff, like a scarecrow or a guy... and they came to life, like zombies.

i was properly traumatised (i think maybe about 6 years old?) and my sisters tortured me relentlessly. just the words 'uggly wuggly' were enough to make me cry.

Kuso said:
watched the tommyknockers with my younger brother while we were staying in a caravan (in Wales I think), while our folks were at the pub. It terrified my brother while it was on, oh how I laughed at him. But when it was over I got proper freaked out n went to find my mum n dad, got lost in what I thought was a huge forest (few trees really) and was later found in tears, proper hysterical... :oops:

Still like forests?

some kids' drama serial which featured some things called the 'ugglie wugglies' - these kids'd made people (to act as an audience?) out of old clothes and newspaper and stuff, like a scarecrow or a guy... and they came to life, like zombies.

i was properly traumatised (i think maybe about 6 years old?) and my sisters tortured me relentlessly. just the words 'uggly wuggly' were enough to make me cry.
ok - so i've investigated this - it was called the enchanted castle, and it was shown in 1979 - so i was 5. a quick read of various plot outlines on the web reveals firstly that my memory's pretty good (they were indeed an audience the children had made), and also brings back other scary and unsettling bits that i sort of remember. There's a lot of talk online about it from people similarly traumatised, but it's not available to watch anywhere. the book is by E Nesbit, so i may give it a read at some point. when i'm feeling brave enough.

Still like forests?

yes actually, although ghostbusters and a particular halloween mask that is *still* in my parents freak me out. the film didn't scare me but I was playing with ghostbuster toys one day and my dad decided to stick on this really horrible halloween mask, crawl into the room I was playing in, stick his head round the drawers and moan "hellllooooooo, liittttlllleeee boooooyyyyy"... I proper lost it then :oops: :D

I get uneasy watching ghostbusters even now or seeing the mask when my folks get the dressing up box out at halloween for my nephews n nieces

Did tv used to be more scary or was I just a strange child? Can't remember being frightened of anything really.

iona said:
Did tv used to be more scary or was I just a strange child? Can't remember being frightened of anything really.

I think it was more creative (kids telly anyway) back then. Stuff like the Children of Green Knowe was ace low budget kooky telly. I don't watch kids telly except very rarely but it seems sanitized fluffy crap now? A parent may not agree?

That fucking thing @ 0:25 .... well the whole thing is rather unsettling.

Duncan the Dragon on you & me petrified me as a four year old..can i find any images on t'intenet ? can i fuck!! :(

Two episodes of Tales of the Unexpected... to a lesser extent, the one where the man eats too much Royal Jelly and turns into a bee.

But the one that really scared me involved a man who feigns being dead to get out of prison in a coffin - making a deal with the coffin-maker to bury him together with the next inmate who dies at the jail. The coffin-maker is then to come and dig him up later after the funeral and release him from the coffin - leaving just the actual dead inmate inside. It is all going really well until the funeral is finished and the man gets out his lighter to see (out of curiosity) with whom he has been buried and sees the coffin maker lying next to him. The camera pans back as you hear the man scream.

I must have been really quite young when I saw that but it has stuck with me ever since.

But the one that really scared me involved a man who feigns being dead to get out of prison in a coffin - making a deal with the coffin-maker to bury him together with the next inmate who dies at the jail. The coffin-maker is then to come and dig him up later after the funeral and release him from the coffin - leaving just the actual dead inmate inside. It is all going really well until the funeral is finished and the man gets out his lighter to see (out of curiosity) with whom he has been buried and sees the coffin maker lying next to him. The camera pans back as you hear the man scream.

I must have been really quite young when I saw that but it has stuck with me ever since.

That was an episode of The Alfred Hitchcock Hour called Final Escape. :)

http://www.hitchcockwiki.com/wiki/The_Alfred_Hitchcock_Hour_-_Final_Escape

I was the one who brought my family's first TV into our home when I was 15 so I never watched any TV when I was a child. A few things have scared me as an adult, though.

Back
Top Bottom