Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Wire

Not having a go or anything, but I don't understand why people feel the need to say hello to every famous person they see. I'd never do it, just out of respect for other peoples privacy. Imagine it the other way round, having people come up to you every five minutes while you are trying to get on with stuff.

I saw Lionel Blair once and said fuck all

If I like someone's work then I smile and thank them.
Not stalking, not after an autograph, not swooning all over people.

I'd never do it, just out of respect for other peoples privacy. Imagine it the other way round, having people come up to you every five minutes while you are trying to get on with stuff.

I think it depends on who it is. Saying hello to someone just because they're famous is a bit lame but you might see someone whose writing/music/work/whatever has really inspired or interested you. I think it would be fair enough to go and say hi for ten seconds so long as you didn't bother them when they had a mouthful of sandwich and took the hint to fuck off if they obviously didn't want to engage.

Aren't actors and performers mostly massive attention whores anyway and that's why they went into that line of business? And Idris can cry into his 900 thread count sheets at night in one of his homes about the downside of having a regular high-paid acting gig, unlike most actors.

Aren't actors and performers mostly massive attention whores anyway and that's why they went into that line of business? And Idris can cry into his 900 thread count sheets at night in one of his homes about the downside of having a regular high-paid acting gig, unlike most actors.

I never buy this arguement, even though celeb rags and tabloids try to sell us this idea all the time. In my experience the genuine artists (not coked up reality show wannabees falling out of limousines) who become famous, do it for the love of what they are doing and on the whole don't take any pleasure in having complete strangers approaching them all the time.

I like to treat people they way I'd like to be treated myself, be they famous or not and I don't believe I have a right to impose on a stranger for no good reason. There is something disgenerous about expecting the worst from everybody (fame whores, all of them) and then to proceed according on that assumption.

BTW, I know two people who got famous and they both are rather shy.

This is a bit precious.

I wanted to say I enjoyed his contribution to a great show that really blew me away and I watch over.

I think it depends on who it is. Saying hello to someone just because they're famous is a bit lame but you might see someone whose writing/music/work/whatever has really inspired or interested you.

that's fair enough - i have only once gushed at a well-known person but that was john peel. i wouldn't do it for a mere actor or musician. their egos don't need feeding any more than is necessary

actually, i take it all back as i remember i once literally bumped into adewale akinnuoye-agbaje (simon adebisi from oz, mr eko from lost) in somerfield on berwick street years ago. i was so flabberghasted at his accent when he said 'sorry mate', i said, 'shit, you're adebisi, aren't you? i thought you were american' and he went 'naah, mate, i'm from islington' :D

I never buy this arguement, even though celeb rags and tabloids try to sell us this idea all the time. In my experience the genuine artists (not coked up reality show wannabees falling out of limousines) who become famous, do it for the love of what they are doing and on the whole don't take any pleasure in having complete strangers approaching them all the time.

I like to treat people they way I'd like to be treated myself, be they famous or not and I don't believe I have a right to impose on a stranger for no good reason. There is something disgenerous about expecting the worst from everybody (fame whores, all of them) and then to proceed according on that assumption.

BTW, I know two people who got famous and they both are rather shy.

Well...I'm not defending the literal truth of everything I wrote and I think you may be being a little unfair to equate "I think most performers are attention-hungry" to "I expect the worst from everybody" but...if you're a performer and your entire career/calling consists of training yourself to become interesting to pay attention to (studying/practicing), trying to convince people to let you in front of people to attract their attention (casting) and then actually having people pay attention to you (performing), you've probably got a fairly high tolerance for being the subject of other people's attention, especially when most people are telling you how wonderful you are. And if you don't like a certain amount of attention from other people, then don't accept any leading roles in HBO dramas/agree to have your eek on the front of NME/get a job in the broadcast media and consider a job in Crystal Palace PizzaExpress instead.

FWIW, I've never gone up to a famous person in public while they were going about their private business (mostly because I don't hang around Hollywood or Camden/Primrose Hill, which seems to be where the people who create the media I consume tend to live).

Edit: this makes me think of the photo of Jack Nicholson being asked for an autograph of a photo of him as the Joker:

4bd61ab9df3efa5340b7271de486d0d44cb07d73_m.jpg

You don't have to go to Primrose Hill to see someone famous, just to the centre of town, where the theatres and post production houses are. I work in Soho and I see someone famous every few days and some of them repeatetly. I'm getting conviced Frances De La Tour, Mark Almond, Stephen Fry, Rupert Everett and Boy George are following me around. :hmm:

Due to my alcoholic years I pass people in the street who say hello to me followed by my name and I've got no idea who the hell they are.

So I generally say hello to someone who has a familiar face. Most recently, Emma Thompson in the supermarket, Paul Morley looking in an estate agents window and Stephen Fry at a petrol station. I live in North West London and so do they I guess.

The strange thing about Stephen Fry though was that I saw him three days later, again at a petrol station but this time in North Norfolk.
We exchanged greetings and looked at each other quizzically. :hmm:

He's not just following you around Reno, I think he's a serial stalker.

This is a bit precious.

I wanted to say I enjoyed his contribution to a great show that really blew me away and I watch over.

I don't think there's anything wrong with thanking someone. Most people would like that, famous or not.

But I think some of them are attention whores. I saw Travolta on the street once. It was unexpected, and there he was in my face. I think I did a bit of a double take, although I didn't say anything. In any event, it was evident that I recognized him. And you could tell he got off on it. :D

You don't have to go to Primrose Hill to see someone famous, just to the centre of town, where the theatres and post production houses are. I work in Soho and I see someone famous every few days and some of them repeatetly. I'm getting conviced Frances De La Tour, Mark Almond, Stephen Fry, Rupert Everett and Boy George are following me around. :hmm:

Have to say, having spent a chunk of my school and student days in Soho, I now hate the place with a passion. But I get your point.

Have to say, having spent a chunk of my school and student days in Soho, I now hate the place with a passion. But I get your point.

I must have had a better time as a student than you then, because I went to college there in the 80s and I still like Soho. Apart from that, I don't have that much choice over where in London I work...

I must have had a better time as a student than you then, because I went to college there in the 80s and I still like Soho. Apart from that, I don't have that much choice over where in London I work...

i had a friend who went to st martins, so was often in the phoenix and other late night places. never understood why she liked drinking in the coach & horses though.

i had a friend who went to st martins, so was often in the phoenix and other late night places. never understood why she liked drinking in the coach & horses though.

My favourite place was the Dive Bar in Chinatown which sadly does not exist anymore. I used to hang out at The French House and then the whole gay scene exploded, which has become a little tired since, but was a big deal (if you were gay). Soho keeps constantly changing and re-inventing itself and it has all of life moving through it at all hours. Use it in the right way and it still can be a lot fun. After 27 years in London I still keep discovering new things about the place.

yeah, i liked the dive bar. shame it closed. never went to french house. i did like the tiny clubs on wardour street like st moritz and another one whose name i forget.

oh, push was the other one. on dean street. i miss those days. i could go out on a school night and be fine the next day.

Question for those who have finished Season Three

Brother Masone gives Omar :hmm: a gun and says "this being your town, I expect you to do it right" and then later says "what's done is done". One of the last scenes is Omar throwing a bag into the docks.

Is that Omar killing his boyfriend for giving him up to Masone and then killing him as punishment?

also a show of trust on mosones part as he could have snitced and given the po po the gun.

Shows he views omar as honourable.

dave

Just worked out how Jimmy McNulty reminds me of:

3112685161_fc9f9f5bc5.jpg
main1.jpg

Ashley-Young-Marlo-Stanfield.jpg

Marlo Stanfield (left) and Ashley Young (right).

I should also say that when Cheese first appeared in the second or third series, I thought how much he looked like Method Man without realising it was Meth himself.

Yesterday, Reese Witherspoon had lunch in the restaurant where my kid works. Within a half hour, TMZ was on the telephone, confirming she was there, and asking what she'd eaten.

Back
Top Bottom