Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The USB "standard" is decending into chaos

One other minor thing that confused me was that I got two 1 WD TB external hard disks (I only meant to order one but we'll let that pass), and they didn't work on my main computer. One of them wasn't recognized and the other wasn't recognized and just made clicking noises.

I read somewhere that WD disks don't work on Linux so I assumed that was it for ages until I tried them on my downstairs computer and they both worked. I realized that I'd plugged them into USB 2.0 sockets - I plugged them into USB 3.0 and they work fine. :confused:

One other minor thing that confused me was that I got two 1 WD TB external hard disks (I only meant to order one but we'll let that pass), and they didn't work on my main computer. One of them wasn't recognized and the other wasn't recognized and just made clicking noises.

I read somewhere that WD disks don't work on Linux so I assumed that was it for ages until I tried them on my downstairs computer and they both worked. I realized that I'd plugged them into USB 2.0 sockets - I plugged them into USB 3.0 and they work fine. :confused:
My external disks show one colour if they are plugged into 2 and another if they are plugged into 3.

Reviving this rant thread for another little rant. The whole world went to all the trouble of switching from micro USB as standard to USB-C, and in some ways it is better, but the number of times I just knock my phone a tiny bit and the charger connection breaks is ridiculous. How on earth did they come out with a new standard that is so woolly that knocking my phone two centimetres on the desk means it doesn't work? I realise that this doesn't happen in all my devices, in some of them the connection seems much more secure. But surely the point of a standard is that they should all be the same! And all equally good! Grrr.

I remember that with the old micro USB. It's normally a port failing (or an old cable). My pixel 6 is now fussy with cables, at some point I should get the port changed.

Possible it's not getting enough power on the USB 2 ports. I was going through some old disks this week and found one with a cable that had to full sized USB connections at one end for this scenario.

Ports should be designed to last for as long as the product lasts. That should be part of the standard, no?
They're just really small.

These kind of ports last forever:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/cf/Cherry-Schneider-MF2-5-Pin-DIN-Connector.jpg
https://res.cloudinary.com/rsc/image/upload/bo_1.5px_solid_white,b_auto,c_pad,dpr_2,f_auto,h_399,q_auto,w_710/c_pad,h_399,w_710/Y2369094-01?pgw=1

I thought the whole point of USB C was that it couldn't go in the wrong way. 😳
True, but to be sure you have to look at the (tiny) connector and the (tiny) socket around the back of the computer to see which have the (slightly) longer sides so as to be sure they line up. A white dot on the top, now .... :)

Ports should be designed to last for as long as the product lasts. That should be part of the standard, no?

Well yes, but it doesn't work like that. For example I've had far more cheap devices have the ports fail then more premium ones (who'd have thought). I'm pissed off about my Pixel though, but for now I'm being lazy and just replacing USB cables as it's cheaper and less faff.

Well yes, but it doesn't work like that. For example I've had far more cheap devices have the ports fail then more premium ones (who'd have thought). I'm pissed off about my Pixel though, but for now I'm being lazy and just replacing USB cables as it's cheaper and less faff.
This illustrates USB-C's advantage over Apple's Lightning in terms of reliability. Both designs have "springy bits" and "divots" to ensure the plug stays in the socket (older, larger standards rely on friction, but that's not enough when the contact surface is so small). In Lightning, the springy bits are in the socket; the plug is completely inert, which makes for a very neat and tidy plug design. USB-C is the other way round, which makes the plug design a bit more complex. There's effectively a little socket inside the plug and a little plug inside the socket.

The thing is that the springy bits move and there's nothing like moving parts for breaking. When Lightning's springy bits break, you need to repair (or quite likely replace) the whole device. Whereas USB-C just needs a new cable.

Was about to moan that although C is supposed to be universal everywhere by this point both my desktop and laptop are entirely A still. Then double checked my laptop and discovered there is actually a USB C port sneakily hidden round the back! I best check my desktop now also lol.

Was about to moan that although C is supposed to be universal everywhere by this point both my desktop and laptop are entirely A still. Then double checked my laptop and discovered there is actually a USB C port sneakily hidden round the back! I best check my desktop now also lol.
I can remember back in the day I'd take a shitload of chargers when I went away. Now my phone, laptop, headphones and camera all charge off the one USB-C plug. Sccccchhweet!

I still use separate chargers and spend appreciable time each month finding them all to charge everything - I shall have to check :)

This illustrates USB-C's advantage over Apple's Lightning in terms of reliability. Both designs have "springy bits" and "divots" to ensure the plug stays in the socket (older, larger standards rely on friction, but that's not enough when the contact surface is so small). In Lightning, the springy bits are in the socket; the plug is completely inert, which makes for a very neat and tidy plug design. USB-C is the other way round, which makes the plug design a bit more complex. There's effectively a little socket inside the plug and a little plug inside the socket.

The thing is that the springy bits move and there's nothing like moving parts for breaking. When Lightning's springy bits break, you need to repair (or quite likely replace) the whole device. Whereas USB-C just needs a new cable.
Although, it turns out that when your dog brings your Chromebook crashing onto a slate floor, it’s still possible for that USB-C port to stop working 😡

Reviving a couple of Dells at work that needs USB C but the chargers are missing, so I'm using my own, until we order some. It works on my Dell, but on this one it charges fine but the laptop refused to start with it. :facepalm:

God how I hated DIN sockets. Soldering them was a nightmare!

And on a general tip: if people are finding that their phone isn't charging consistently, make sure that there isn't a hardened layer of dust at the bottom of the socket.
And while most DIN plugs had the pins at 180 degrees Philips for some reason had them at 270 degrees :rolleyes:

Reviving a couple of Dells at work that needs USB C but the chargers are missing, so I'm using my own, until we order some. It works on my Dell, but on this one it charges fine but the laptop refused to start with it. :facepalm:
AIUI all USB C is supposed to work at 5V 3A- enough to charge but not run a laptop- but after that it's up to the chip in the cable to negotiate with the charger & device in order to decide on voltage profiles and so on, so it's next to impossible to either guess what will or won't happen, or to diagnose what is actually happening.

I bought a USB C cable off of Amazon. It plugs in both ways, as expected, but only charges in one orientation.

Very annoying/chaos.

Back
Top Bottom