Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The USB "standard" is decending into chaos

I thought PCs were all supposed to be USB C nowadays but alas, they're not. If you're lucky you might get a port or two of that and a mix of other shit.

It’s an absolute shit show. When we should be thinking about consigning as many cables as possible to history we’re inventing more and more of them.

It’s an absolute shit show. When we should be thinking about consigning as many cables as possible to history we’re inventing more and more of them.

I think the point is to reduce the amount of different cables we use. I chucked out a shed load of old AC adapters at work the other day. A standard USB charger can become ubiquitous. My phone and laptop use the same charger.

240w in a cable identical to one that takes six hours to charge a phone off a laptop. That's not going to cause any accidents.

External sound cards can drive 48V microphones - as can an audio adapter on a 9V standard battery. I’m not testing one of those in the bath but I’d hazard a guess it won’t kill you. Not sure of the current mind.

Depends what you're doing with the cables, if its just a basic mobile phone, low speed or low power or both I can't see any cable being an issue.
Want to power a 100w device when running at 20Gbp, you might find choosing a cable more of a challenge. e.g. The only way you can charge the Oculous Quest 2 and use it at the same time is with the Oculous cable at £89.

Where are you getting your 100W from? And why would you power a 100W device via a USB cable?

AFAIK all the devices are 5v, which at 100W is a 20 amp power draw. Even my ten port powered hub is only 35W.

another "the USB "standard" is descending into chaos" article I've not actually read :)

Basically better then what we had but still needs work?

Back
Top Bottom