Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The USB "standard" is decending into chaos

That's not what you said.
I thought it was pretty clear: Android phones and Chromebooks have been all chargeable by the same USB-C cable for years.

But to make it crystal clear for pedants: USB-C equipped Android phones and USB-C equipped Chromebooks have been all chargeable by the same USB-C cable for years.

There.

I thought it was pretty clear: Android phones and Chromebooks have been all chargeable by the same USB-C cable for years.

But to make it crystal clear for pedants: USB-C equipped Android phones and USB-C equipped Chromebooks have been all chargeable by the same USB-C cable for years.

There.

Thanks for clearing it up.

Err, Android phones and Chromebooks have been all chargeable by the same USB-C cable for years. Apple should be learning from them, not the other way around.
All Android phones? My last Android phone definitely wasn't on USB-C.

I think you are overthinking it. Just get a USB-A to USB-C cable that says it's usb3. Unless you REALLY need to transfer at 20Gbps you probably won't notice the 10Gbps difference. Your internal hard drive won't be able to keep up anyway. SATA is 3gbps or something.

Edit: In fact, that cable that is being supplied with the drive is non-standard anyway. USB-A to USB-A is strongly discouraged because people end up connecting two powered devices to each other and fry them both.
That kind of demonstrates how it's failing as a standard though.
And yeah I might be overthinking it...but how is one to know? Anyone who's ended up with slightly the wrong cable or adapter knows the danger of underthinking. A consistent, clear standard should help to make the level of thinking required, clear.
The speed could be relevant by the way as the internal drive in my new Mac can do 5-10gbps. So the difference between the 5gbps and 10 Gbps USB versions could potentially be worth being aware of.

I think you are overthinking it. Just get a USB-A to USB-C cable that says it's usb3. Unless you REALLY need to transfer at 20Gbps you probably won't notice the 10Gbps difference. Your internal hard drive won't be able to keep up anyway. SATA is 3gbps or something.

Edit: In fact, that cable that is being supplied with the drive is non-standard anyway. USB-A to USB-A is strongly discouraged because people end up connecting two powered devices to each other and fry them both.
All of this.

And yeah I might be overthinking it...but how is one to know? Anyone who's ended up with slightly the wrong cable or adapter knows the danger of underthinking. A consistent, clear standard should help to make the level of thinking required, clear.
The speed could be relevant by the way as the internal drive in my new Mac can do 5-10gbps. So the difference between the 5gbps and 10 Gbps USB versions could potentially be worth being aware of.

I thought Macs used SATA3? Either way, it won't be reading and writing at that speed (I don't think so anyway).

I thought Macs used SATA3? Either way, it won't be reading and writing at that speed (I don't think so anyway).
It's one of the new M1 ones. I don't think anyone actually knows what it is! But appears that read and writes speeds are potentially pretty fast. I don't know...all a bit beyond my expertise.

I bought the same enclosure you linked to on Amazon for an XBox a couple of weeks ago. Ignore those stated speeds, they're hypothetical. You'll never see those speeds in the real world, or anything even close to them. The fastest you'll ever see is about 560/530 MB/s read/write, as that's as fast as the SSD can read/write.

:eek: examples? I've always used USB-A to connect stuff and have never done that.

I bought the same enclosure you linked to on Amazon for an XBox a couple of weeks ago. Ignore those stated speeds, they're hypothetical. You'll never see those speeds in the real world, or anything even close to them. The fastest you'll ever see is about 560/530 MB/s read/write, as that's as fast as the SSD can read/write.
Sure, but there are other enclosures, which can take faster SSDs, and in those cases it might become relevant.

:eek: examples? I've always used USB-A to connect stuff and have never done that.

It's in the spec of USB. If you make an A-A cable you are supposed to put a power block in the middle. It's because you can fry components if they are both sending power. That's actually why the B connectors are all so different from A. I don't know how USB-C handles this though as it's years since I worked a lot with USB. I suspect they have some sort of switch in the USB port to stop it happening but I couldn't say for sure.

None of this is to say that A-A cables don't exist though. I had a webcam years ago that had A-A for it's connection but it's not standard.

Do you have an example of an SSD that can read/write faster than 5Gb/s?
Eg this one claims around 2,500 MB/s which is 20Gb/s unless I have messed up my conversions.

Or this, which would have to go in an enclosure, claims 2000MB/s

Eg this one claims around 2,500 MB/s which is 20Gb/s unless I have messed up my conversions.

Or this, which would have to go in an enclosure, claims 2000MB/s

Indeed, but I thought we were discussing SATA SSDs, as that's what you linked to on Amazon?

Which Android phones that use USB-C chargers don't work with, err, USB-C chargers then?
Funnily enough just the other week I dropped off my usb-c charger to someone in hospital and it failed to charge their phone. Turned out to be an incompatibility with 2 manufacturers fast charge system - so tbf a deviation from the standard - but still confusing as they were both just usb-c and I just expected then to work.

In practice usb works just fine 9/10 times, it's difficult to fuck up and much better than what preceded it. Most of the problems are down to shite cables rather than the spec itself. Most of those variations of standards don't matter to most people and the alternative would be things just not working at all rather than working with slightly degraded performance.

You thought wrong. I presented that as a "semi random example" to demonstrate potential for cable confusion.
Where's the confusion? It's a type A to type A USB 3.0 cable. It'll work on any type A to type A USB 3.x setup. The attainable speed will depend on the connected devices.

Where's the confusion? It's a type A to type A USB 3.0 cable. It'll work on any type A to type A USB 3.x setup. The attainable speed will depend on the connected devices.
As I already explained, I would need to connect it to a type C port. Also as already explained, I might need to connect it via a dock or hub. Also as already explained, I might want to consider a faster SSD in which case the variety of USB3.x might become relevant to whether or not I could actually take advantage of that extra speed.

As I already explained, I would need to connect it to a type C port. Also as already explained, I might need to connect it via a dock or hub. Also as already explained, I might want to consider a faster SSD in which case the variety of USB3.x might become relevant to whether or not I could actually take advantage of that extra speed.
So you get your top spec cable with it or if you need a replacement you can buy one to the published spec. But you can also use one of many other not quite compatible cables that you probably have laying around or easy to borrow or available from Poundland that'll still work - just with slightly degraded performance. Seems better than a cable that doesn't work at all to me.

If you want speeds greater than 10Gb/s, you'll need a type C cable and a peripheral that utilises USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 or faster. It isn't rocket science.

So you get your top spec cable with it or if you need a replacement you can buy one to the published spec. But you can also use one of many other not quite compatible cables that you probably have laying around or easy to borrow or available from Poundland that'll still work - just with slightly degraded performance. Seems better than a cable that doesn't work at all to me.
Fair enough, we shouldn't complain that the USB standard has become very confused, because the only alternative is something that doesn't work at all.

I think that most people will have had the experience of thinking they've got a USB cable of the right type lying around, and then finding they haven't. They've got 5 all the same but the wrong type and then a bunch of other ones that are all different but also aren't the right type. As in, they've got the wrong plug on them, not that they might be slightly sub par spec.

If you want speeds greater than 10Gb/s, you'll need a type C cable and a peripheral that utilises USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 or faster. It isn't rocket science.
I didn't say it was rocket science.

I said it was confusing.

And there's more than one type of "type C cable" so that is an insufficient specification.

One minute you're saying a "type C cable" (no such thing) then the next you've changed your mind to a "thunderbolt 3 cable". You're as confused as everyone else.

Back
Top Bottom