Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The USB "standard" is decending into chaos

Sunray

Its sunny somewhere.
The consortium is merging Thunderbolt into USB 4 which is due at some point. In the meantime, they have also renamed USB 3.1 to
  • USB 3.2 Gen 1 (SuperSpeed USB) - 5Gbps
  • USB 3.2 Gen 1×2 (SuperSpeed USB 10 Gbit/s) - 10Gbps
  • USB 3.2 Gen 2×1 (SuperSpeed USB 10 Gbit/s) 10Gbps
  • USB 3.2 Gen 2×2 (SuperSpeed USB 20 Gbit/s) - 20Gbps
To sow extra confusion, all the different cables for USB-C. Some are for power delivery (PD), some are only rated to USB3.2 Gen 1 others to one of the other 3.2 standards. Some are combined for PD and speed. Get this nugget, USB3.2 Gen 2x2 is an optional requirement for USB4 so if you have a USB3.2 Gen 2x2 device and plug it into a USB4 port, it may or may not work full speed.

I think the Thunderbolt standard for cables is better they all appear to work at 100W and full speed. But cost a bit more. I was browsing USB-c cables on amazon and its a minefield, it's not always clear what you're buying.

I get your point but I've never had a problem with any USB-C cable interface I've encountered so far.

Depends what you're doing with the cables, if its just a basic mobile phone, low speed or low power or both I can't see any cable being an issue.
Want to power a 100w device when running at 20Gbp, you might find choosing a cable more of a challenge. e.g. The only way you can charge the Oculous Quest 2 and use it at the same time is with the Oculous cable at £89.

Ah, Fuck me! "Universal" my Arse. I've got more different types of USB cables than I ever had serial or parallel. In fact I've got every single type apart from the one I need to hand. Every time.

I've got one USB cable that actually works reliably. All the gadgets have to take turns.

Micro. Phone, camera and kindle are all micro USB. I have many micro USB cables but most refuse to transfer data, power or both.

I genuinely envy your simple life and am now reassessing my life choices. I think Nintendo is the worse criminal when it comes to this absurdity of "universal" "standards".

It was a shock recently to learn what "turbo charging" was only when I connected a charging analyser and spotted my Motorola was getting 9 volts from the supplied charger ... and then I watched far too many videos about dreadful USB power supplies and even took a couple apart myself .. I'm amazed more people aren't electrocuted, never mind blowing up massively expensive devices.

My own world goes no further than USB2 and micro-USB.

I regret I retired before I had the chance to push USB-C to the limit on the laptops I was building.

The thread title is correct. I'm in the process of getting new computer stuff and USB is now complete mayhem. Just look at this for example. Because it wasn't already confusing enough they decided to rename everything in the most confusing way possible.

Screenshot 2021-02-18 at 11.40.01.jpg

The entire rest of the universe would use a sequence like 3.1, 3.2, 3.3. But not the USB people, who it would appear have lost their minds.

Not to mention the fucking stupid design where with most plugs that don't say 'this way up' you've got a 50/50 chance of trying to put them in upside down :rolleyes:

The thread title is correct. I'm in the process of getting new computer stuff and USB is now complete mayhem. Just look at this for example. Because it wasn't already confusing enough they decided to rename everything in the most confusing way possible.

View attachment 254942

The entire rest of the universe would use a sequence like 3.1, 3.2, 3.3. But not the USB people, who it would appear have lost their minds.
Yup. And in an age where we can’t shop in person, we’re fucked. You can’t pick up a cable and look at it before buying, so you’re going to keep ordering the wrong one. Or ordering the right one and getting sent the wrong one. Or being utterly bewildered by the chaos on the order form. All of which has happened to me.

Yup. And in an age where we can’t shop in person, we’re fucked. You can’t pick up a cable and look at it before buying, so you’re going to keep ordering the wrong one. Or ordering the right one and getting sent the wrong one. Or being utterly bewildered by the chaos on the order form. All of which has happened to me.
I spent about 5 hours on youtube/ebay/amazon/the internet last night trying to work out what I actually need. I ended up with a migraine and two things off ebay that may or may not work. Absolutely this is the sort of thing where I'd really like to be able just to go into a shop, say this is what I'm trying to do, what do I need. Even if they costed twice as much it would probably be worth it for the time and hassle spared.

Ah, Fuck me! "Universal" my Arse. I've got more different types of USB cables than I ever had serial or parallel. In fact I've got every single type apart from the one I need to hand. Every time.
top tip: keep them on a tie hanger. i also used a label printer at work to make labels for all my cables so i know which power thing goes with which device without wasting time or getting frustrated

yes I've written labels on the ones I'm likely to get confused about. I've broken usb connector pins I presume because I tried to jam in the wrong connector.

general question: when ordering connectors does it not work to say the make and model number of the equipment you want to connect?

Fuck me what are people complaining about - it's all in this really simple diagram :rolleyes:

Important: The below USB compatibility chart was designed with physical compatibility in mind only. In most cases, this also means that devices will communicate properly, albeit at the lowest common speed, but it's no guarantee. The biggest issue you'll probably find is that some USB 3.0 devices may not communicate at all when used on a computer or other host device that supports only USB 1.1.

1613658480709.png
Here's how to read this chart:

• BLUE means that the plug type from a certain USB version is compatible with the receptacle type from a certain USB version
  • RED means that they aren't compatible
  • GRAY means that the plug or receptacle doesn't exist in that USB version

Related moan - when you do know the exact cable you want, it is bloody difficult to find it online. Say you want a USB-C male to USB-B female. I haven't yet found a site with a two column pull-down table where you can specify each end of the cable. Instead you're reduced to a generic word search which retrieves lots of cables you don't want.

Still, Apple and their expensive proprietary cables, eh? ;) :D
My iPad and Macbook both charge via USB-C, which is really handy, but it is annoying that they're still using lightning for their phones, even though I do primarily just use wireless charging for mine. Hopefully they make the new iPhone later this year USB-C compatible, because that would be a huge step for universality across their range, as well as a sign to other manufacturers about how to do it.

Back
Top Bottom