Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The sound of 140 / Bass / Neo-proto-jungle-speed garage!

thanks - ive never heard of him before that - thats proper new skool jungle there though - could handle a night of that - are there enough new tunes?

is that a northern thing?
because i hear it on rinse i think of it as london but maybe thats wrong

Bassline, i.e. the whompy bass speed garage sound at about 140 is very much a sheffield/leeds/yorkshire thing. What is kind of changed into not so much, its got its bristol/london influences now, but the early labels were based up north (a bit before my time), but some of the more modern labels are still, offmenut-sheffield, in:flux (quite a new label, were a night originally) are from yorkshire, the jackintheattic nights and podcast which I pick up a good few tunes from are scottish.

I would say the grime garage element is definately london, but the northerners from sheff and leeds put their own spin on it, a few years later the culmination of both scenes gets re-interpreted with a jackin house sound..... But people like T2 who had tracks in the charts, and DJQ etc are all north ;)

oh no, got to the end and the scene was killed off by the mcs :facepalm: doh!

It got too rough, jungle when the same way and then got all drum and bassy.... then jungle made a comeback

the scenes don't get killed off, they just develop in circles around each other.

well 2014 is done - the neo-proto-jungle-speed garage thing definitely happened but maybe not quite like i imagined it - in the end it was more on the updated bassheavy UKG side of things that i got in to it most...tracks like

Stanton Warriors - Cut Me Up (Cause & Affect Remix)

very upfront floorfiller that one

and
love this
Champion - Execution

ukg dancefloor biz with a sprinkle of hardcore junglism

on a more lofi headtrip tip caleb turned me on to this though which was deep and wonderful and a straight ahead breakbeat thing

Rezzett - Zootie

i wonder what 2015 will bring? more breaks i hope
and maybe more tunes like what sully was making..

Last edited:
I've noticed a bit of a trend toward instrumental 140ish grime tracks toward the end of 2014 so I wonder if that will carry on through 2015

Back
Top Bottom