Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The sound of 140 / Bass / Neo-proto-jungle-speed garage!

where are you finding these sankara?
A friend put me onto the labels Time Is Now, Shall Not Fade and Holding Hands and I discovered that they were all putting out breakbeat-y stuff. A bit of googling also led me to this thread on Dogs on Acid (I had no idea it was still going):

Labels that do atmospheric post-rave breaks

I've only delved into the first few pages. It looks like there is a bit of a goldmine there though.

Etch's latest/last EP is more DnB tempo, but I really like the way his/her/their stuff is very unique sounding.

Post moved from the DnB thread:
I'm going to post this here as we don't have a general bass music thread. Ben UFO played this other week and I didn't recognise it at first when I was catching up on new releases but just realised it's the same song he'd played. Love it.

I think we could do with a thread for that, loads of good tunes coming out at the moment around these tempos... hence posting it here. More?

2001! Ahead of the curve...looks like an interesting label to dig through
yeh! I remember there being a lot of breaks stuff that took a bit from jungle back then, but the stuff I heard was all a bit smooth/bland in my head so I didnt really pay close attention.... so never caught that one at the time, it is v ruff + rude. I think it may have been a v London-specific thing and so never reached me.

also playing ray Keith's Dark Soldier at 33 instead of 45 has a similar effect!

yeh I remember zinc doing them. it kind of balances being a bit cheesy and dumb with being raw and simple enough to make them bang.... definitely dancefloor stuff

I find a lot of the dumb unpretentious dancefloor banger stuff ages better than the more "intelligent" tunes.... same w/jungle/d n b.

with a lot of exceptions, obv

Had a look through that label and this is the one Ive come away with - develops and changes all the way
big bad sub hit on this

I had a one off dj gig at a mini fair with bumper cars in the Somerset house courtyard some time in last few years... the harry lime drop was def highlight! would also work to accompany waltzers.

Back
Top Bottom