Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Smiths: supercrap or not crap?

The Smiths: supercrap or not crap?

• Crap, crap, crap

Votes: 15 62.5%
  • Not crap. I am like a Radiohead fan and Morrissey is my god

Votes: 9 37.5%

• Total voters
I don't think The Smiths were a remarkable band, they had a competent guitarist for nothing else. Morrissey's lyrics are pedantic and aseptic, those who elevate their lyrics to poetic status do so because they are blind and deaf.
They obey the fanatic phenomenon. Morrissey was a presumptuous lyricist, who copied some of the lyrics of the greats of literature
But still a thousand times better than the fucking Cranberries.

All those adjectives are wrong. His lyrics aren't pedantic or aseptic or presumptuous. Quite the reverse. They fit with the melody perfect, there aren't too many words, there aren't unnecessary flourishes, they're full of heartfelt emotion. They do everything a song lyric should do and don't try to do more.

I love Nick Cave, but you could level those kinds of objections at him. At Morrissey? Nah.

I don't think The Smiths were a remarkable band, they had a competent guitarist for nothing else. Morrissey's lyrics are pedantic and aseptic, those who elevate their lyrics to poetic status do so because they are blind and deaf.
They obey the fanatic phenomenon. Morrissey was a presumptuous lyricist, who copied some of the lyrics of the greats of literature
The Cranberries so obviously listened to nothing else but the Smiths for years straight.

They asked Johnny Marr to produce their first album, but he said no, so they asked the Smiths' engineer/producer, Stephen Street. Dolores also formed a band with the Smiths' bass player. There is definitely more than a casual interest in The Smiths there.
Noel's guitar is quite inspired by the sound of Johnny, but this is it. There are many differences with The Smiths, to begin with The Smiths would never do hard rock songs like The Cranberries did.

It's true about the production of the debut album, Cordell and Street collaborated on the production of the album after Marr said not. And it is the best decision they could make, the debut of The Cranberries is one of the most beautiful albums that have ever been produced.

At the level in quality of the debuts of Boston, REM, Joy Division or King Crimson.

Noel's guitar is quite inspired by the sound of Johnny, but this is it. There are many differences with The Smiths, to begin with The Smiths would never do hard rock songs like The Cranberries did.

It's true about the production of the debut album, Cordell and Street collaborated on the production of the album after Marr said not. And it is the best decision they could make, the debut of The Cranberries is one of the most beautiful albums that have ever been produced.

At the level in quality of the debuts of Boston, REM, Joy Division or King Crimson.
You start a thread about The Smiths but then just keep going on and on and on and on about the fucking Cranberries again. :facepalm:

I don't know if you know this, but the software that runs this forum can only take so many mentions of that band per day before it starts to overload.
To prevent that happening, I'm going to suggest that several days a week are officially declared Cranberries-Free Days. I think it's for the best.

If you're unable to stop yourself rattling on about them on those days, maybe we could set up an auto filter that replaces 'the Cranberries' with 'The Sausages' on those days.

You start a thread about The Smiths but then just keep going on and on and on and on about the fucking Cranberries again. :facepalm:

I don't know if you know this, but the software that runs this forum can only take so many mentions of that band per day before it starts to overload.
To prevent that happening, I'm going to suggest that several days a week are officially declared Cranberries-Free Days. I think it's for the best.

If you're unable to stop yourself rattling on about them on those days, maybe we could set up an auto filter that replaces 'the Cranberries' with 'The Sausages' on those days.
You are a hater. Read the above post, it is not me who mentioned the best band of the 90s for the first time

I vote for more Cranberries stuff. It's funny.

Also, obviously the Smiths are good. Morrissey is a wanker, and he was undoubtedly a wanker then, even if he made it less obvious and people asked fewer questions. But he did write good lyrics. And Johnny Marr's guitar is very often astonishing, and you could write seven music PhDs on exactly why. Or someone could.

I like the Smiths - morrisey is a twat obviously, but quite a few musicians seem to descend into twattery for some weird reason. They were probably twats to start with mind.

Dolores never listened to The Smiths

"What are your top 3 albums of all time?

There's a lot of them that I love, but there are certain ones that really take me back. The Smiths album, Depeche Mode - Violator, and Soundtrack for the Mission film."

Back
Top Bottom