Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The River Thames - photos and stories

on teh tweeter today

FnLfgk0XEAwoacs

Real "I remember when this was all fields" vibe there! (Not actual fields ofc but vastly different to how it is now). Thanks for posting it!
That year I was taken on a field trip around the derelict Royal Docks walking through the post-industrial wasteland, empty spaces and over the remains of the elevated walkways over the docks. It was a very memorable trip and how I wish I'd had a camera back then.

In the early-ish 80's I used to go cycling around there on a Sunday. This was before Sunday trading laws changed, so London was fairly quiet and the docks were deserted, was really cool and when I go down there now the change is just unbelievable!

That year I was taken on a field trip around the derelict Royal Docks walking through the post-industrial wasteland, empty spaces and over the remains of the elevated walkways over the docks. It was a very memorable trip and how I wish I'd had a camera back then.
I can remember cycling through vast empty warehouses but like a fool only took a few photos. Mind you I did find a lovely old 'Smoking Prohibited' enamel sign that I took home with me (and still have).

1674559593126.png

Real "I remember when this was all fields" vibe there! (Not actual fields ofc but vastly different to how it is now). Thanks for posting it!

In the early-ish 80's I used to go cycling around there on a Sunday. This was before Sunday trading laws changed, so London was fairly quiet and the docks were deserted, was really cool and when I go down there now the change is just unbelievable!

I can remember cycling through vast empty warehouses but like a fool only took a few photos. Mind you I did find a lovely old 'Smoking Prohibited' enamel sign that I took home with me (and still have).

1950s OS map showing just how much space the docks (and associated warehouses / railway lines etc) took up - here (you can go up to the 25 inch scale if you feel so inclined)

there really wasn't that much else round rotherhithe then - just development round the edge.

Posted these on the Deptford & New Cross thread a few years ago but thought I might as well stick them here too.

I was a Goldsmiths student, living on Creek Road, in the early 90s. Took the photos of Deptford power station just before it got demolished and the view of the creek at Greenwich in 1994, prior to heading back to Devon. We used to walk down to the slipway next to the power station, which we called Deptford Beach, to see what we could find. Some mates found a message in a bottle one day. It had only come from the other side of Woolwich, but they wrote back to the girl who sent it with a slightly implausible tale about where they found it. No harm done, I guess. Better than finding out that it only went two miles upstream...

creek.jpgpower station 2.jpeg.jpegpower station.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom