Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The River Thames - photos and stories

Shark alert!

View attachment 434806
If I'd been terrified of a shark in the water while I was on the land, I wouldn't have wanted to be interviewed about my phobia.
Let alone giving the detail that I'd been eating sweet potato fries at the time, which sounds oddly specific.

A recent perambulation from Kew Bridge to Richmond:

A beautiful London riverside walk: Kew Bridge to Richmond in 40 photos

The English should be proud of the River Thames. Your rivals in Paris have made a filthy mess of the Seine...🤢

Cleaner in Richmond than in Essex?

Well obviously it gets shitter (literally) the further along the river you are, but there are sewage outflows into the Thames long before you get to Richmond.

Real time digital map showing sewage outflow into the rivers in the Thames Water area, including the Thames and its tributaries, in the last 48 hours:

Cleaner than Paris' Seine:

We had the same issues here during the boat race this year, iirc people were getting ill from contact with the river water and the levels of e.coli detected in it meant people were warned not to practice in the river itself.

(I mean I have kind of limited sympathy with the posh twats involved, but we do have the exact same issues with the Thames here).

I also actually do test the river water myself as part of my environmental/citizen science volunteering, and can confirm that it is the same here.

And we got in trouble with France at one point, because all the shit being washed out of our rivers was making it across The Channel to their shores.

As a follow on from my above posts, Thames Water are likely to be fined over £100 million for dumping sewage into waterways in the region.
They will no doubt try to convince the ombudsman to pass this cost on to us customers.

Does anyone know the Doggetts pub on Blackfriars bridge? Can you go on the verandas as a drop in punter?

Back
Top Bottom