Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The redevelopment of Loughborough House, Loughborough Junction

Normally cavity wall construction involved breeze blocks inside and bricks outside. This looks like breeze blocks outside and block board inside. Surely that is not OK?
Nothing wrong with rendered concrete blocks on the outside, per se - quite normal. Can't see what the overall construction is going to be. I think the block boards you are referring to are the lightweight roof / dormer extension which will no doubt be clad. Could be timber, uPVC, almunium, tile or slate hung, etc...

Yes completely conventional to have blockwork on the outside if it's going to be rendered, which I'd assume it is. As rushy says the "block board" is OSB sheathing on a timber frame for the roof "extension" which is set back slightly from the main walls. According to the planning drawings it will be "painted render" finish too.

...although, having said that, looking at the planning drawings for that elevation, the extension is labelled as being "facing brick" (with various string courses) not rendered blockwork. So, a deviation from the planning permission that may or may not be valid anyway?

Screen Shot 2014-09-11 at 00.49.44.jpg

They appear to regard a planning document as completely unrelated to what they plan to build! What a mess....

Building activity appears to have resumed in Loughborough House, behind the windows of the 1st floor 'viewing area' at any rate ...

With a symphetic conversion, these buildings could have provided a much needed visual boost to the local landscape. Instead, they're turning them into the blandest of facades, stripping them of any historical character.

The more you look at it the shoddier everything looks. You can see where they've just sawn through the timbers that supported the overhanging gable, and left them there with the new brickwork around them. I guess at the end they'll just paint over them and then they'll slowly go rotten.

And instead of paying for proper scaffold for the duration of the job they are getting guys to balance on stepladders and do work near the edge with no protection for people on the pavement below if he drops his screwdriver.

I had been temporarily reassured by this stuff about rendered breeze blocks outside OSB sheathing etc. But I'm still not convinced - I think it is a bodge job actually.

Two other things trouble me:

1. The side windows looking onto the derelict railway arch only a coupe of feet away. This put me in mind of a planning meeting where former Councillor Brian Palmer enquired about the windows in rooms in a student hostel with illegally low levels of daylight provision.

"Oh" said the developer's architect "Those are for disabled students".

I guess the tenants requiring this accommodation will be correspondingly "disabled" (i.e. blind) or else connoisseurs of David Lynch - since the outlook is as similar as can be had in Loughborough Junction to David Lynch's signature early film Eraserhead

2. How does all this mesh in with the Loughbrough Junction Plan - as launched by Lambeth Council and LJAG at the LJAG AGM last year?

"Station Yard" as proposed in this plan requires the demolition an clearnce of both Loughborough House and Loughborough Hall (recently also subject to some scrutiny here)

Were LJAG & Lambeth Officer's brains in gear when they cooked this up? I did query it after the AGM at the time but I was looked at askance.

Seems that no-one bothered to contact or interview the owners of the Loughborough Hall (i.e. Celestial Church of Christ) or Loughborough House (who might be the same - given the lack of complaints about the orginal planning application and subsequent works)

For the record the Loughborough Plan is available here (big downloads though): http://www.loughboroughjunction.org/masterplanning

Loughborough Yard.JPG
New public space outside Loughborough Junction Station
and new pedestrian crossing

I've never really understood what that plan is. Is it just a "wouldn't it be nice if things were like this" exercise or is/was it backed up in any way by official Lambeth policy?

I've never really understood what that plan is. Is it just a "wouldn't it be nice if things were like this" exercise or is/was it backed up in any way by official Lambeth policy?
I think it must be the former - but might be worth enquiring further. Try this on page 52:

Existing Character
Characterised by low-quality buildings, advertising
signage and street clutter. The existing shops do not
contribute positively to the street scape and are poorly
maintained.
The pavement is wide enough to provide generous
room for pedestrians, but is currently used for informal
parking, which can not currently be prohibited due to
the patchwork of land ownership.
The street scape features a number of different
types of signage (including community notice boards,
advertising boards, way finding), a variety of bollards
and street furniture and a number of paving types.
As such it does not provide a legible public realm for
people arriving in the Junction by train.

Low quality buildings.JPG

I think it must be the former - but might be worth enquiring further. Try this on page 52:

Existing Character
Characterised by low-quality buildings, advertising
signage and street clutter. The existing shops do not
contribute positively to the street scape and are poorly
maintained.
The pavement is wide enough to provide generous
room for pedestrians, but is currently used for informal
parking, which can not currently be prohibited due to
the patchwork of land ownership.
The street scape features a number of different
types of signage (including community notice boards,
advertising boards, way finding), a variety of bollards
and street furniture and a number of paving types.
As such it does not provide a legible public realm for
people arriving in the Junction by train.

View attachment 61134

Hard to disagree.

Hard to disagree.
But considering the lack of attention to design issues in the PLANNING process it's a bit odd when MASTERPLANNING sweeps away - in fantasy - buildings it doesn't like and also complains about clutter and signage much of which is council owned and generated!

But considering the lack of attention to design issues in the PLANNING process it's a bit odd when MASTERPLANNING sweeps away - in fantasy - buildings it doesn't like and also complains about clutter and signage much of which is council owned and generated!

yes. seems that half of the street signs around us are to 'LOCAL HOUSING OFFICE'. You might think these signs unnecessary or perhaps doubt why they should take priority over any other destination.

or you will see, JUBILEE PRIMARY SCHOOL and a second sign, immediately below, fatuously saying JUBILEE EARLY YEARS CENTRE

Reactions: CH1
The old and latest images don't look that different to me. Although the additions to the top are hard to see in the dark photo

Here's how it looked today. The differences to the roof and the building's outline are extremely obvious.

del.jpg

Looking at that I realise the East elevation is not being built according to the planning drawings either.

Back
Top Bottom