Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The North Water BBC2

I enjoyed it a while ago, but I won’t give spoilers if it’s only now on TV.

On a minor point could someone tell me what the surgeon’s accent is supposed to be? Sounds like modern-day London youth talk to me.

I've struggled with this a bit tbh. Maybe I should pick it up again. Not even sure what I'm not enjoying about it.

Spent ages alternately sneering at/trying to decipher the godawful fucking accents, then picked holes in authenticity - no hats? Gloves? Hat straps flying in the wind? Freezing cold Arctic seas? Pissed me right off, and thought Stephen Graham just wasn't very good in it at all.

Oh, and sensationalised violence.

All in, I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would, and I bloody love owt Arctic me.

Was ok, not great, only ok. Not enough shivering, breath condensation or other signs that they were really there. 4 episodes was enough. Farrell was very good.

Was ok, not great, only ok. Not enough shivering, breath condensation or other signs that they were really there.

They were really there though, it was filmed on location in Svalbard. Maybe they should have done it green screen with special effects and makeup to pretend it was colder.

They were really there though, it was filmed on location in Svalbard. Maybe they should have done it green screen with special effects and makeup to pretend it was colder.
Were they though? the scenery all looked very good and genuine but the close up stuff less so. I'm not sure that they weren't stitched together in editing

Were they though? the scenery all looked very good and genuine but the close up stuff less so. I'm not sure that they weren't stitched together in editing

The actors all definitely went there and filmed stuff there, at least in those scenes it should have been real cold. I guess the interior scenes were in the studio though.

Compare it to The Terror where the opposite happened. The Arctic land scenes were filmed here where it was warm, but the ice scenes were CGI and filmed in a studio in Hungary in winter where they turned the heating off so it got as low as -15 inside the studio.

I haven't seen The Terror but the whaling season is the summer months when you would expect it to be cold, but not freezing. It's a balmy 4-8 degrees in Svalbard in July :) It's only in later episodes, as the winter sets in, that you'd expect it to be really freezing, which to be fair it did.

Back
Top Bottom