Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Mold Cape gets on "A History of the World in 100 objects"

agricola

a genuine importer of owls
Mold gets a mention as the place of origin of the first of the genuinely British artefacts to make in onto the list, at No.19:

_45891814_2609cape3.jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/ahistoryoftheworld/objects/okZT5JiCTn6lYFR0Gs9Tbg

:cool:

It was found at Bryn yr Ellyllon (the Elves' Hill) near where the rugby club is today.

We should have it back - the replica in Mold library doesn't really do it justice. It came back to Wxm Museum a while back and thousands went to see it.

It was found at Bryn yr Ellyllon (the Elves' Hill) near where the rugby club is today.

We should have it back - the replica in Mold library doesn't really do it justice. It came back to Wxm Museum a while back and thousands went to see it.

I dunno, its better looked after and can be seen by more people in the British Museum than it ever will be in Mold. It would be nice to have it make some regular visits home, though.

I dunno, its better looked after and can be seen by more people in the British Museum than it ever will be in Mold.

So anything that's vaguely interesting in 'Britain' should be immediately shipped off to London so that more people can see it. Hmmmnn.

I think we (Wales) should do a swap. They (England) could maybe have some of that Lord Nelson drek in Monmouth in exchange for our cape.

And how come the British Museum is called the British Museum? The couple of times I've been there it just seemed to be full of stuff ransacked from foreign countries. They should call it the English Imperial Museum or something.

Shit, that's a fancy bit of gear! Interesting (lack of) history to it, too!

Mmmm! What history were you expecting exactly? Its not like they were likely to find the bronze age owner to ask them about it, or maybe have the original receipt!:D

Mmmm! What history were you expecting exactly? Its not like they were likely to find the bronze age owner to ask them about it, or maybe have the original receipt!:D

"A History of the World in 100 Objects, only we don't know what no.19 was for..."

It doesn't seem to fulfil the OP of the Beeb's plan :D.

It's Bronze Age Bling innit?

Must feel really weird trying it on now:

Amazing fact! "The gold ingot from which this cape was made would have been about the size of a ping pong ball"

Even three thousand years ago, Gog civilization was streets ahead of anything seen in the South.

:D

Back
Top Bottom