Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Swansea bar takes the piss with "Get Nailed" sign at Easter, offends

What the RCC did in Ireland, the church deserves any and all piss taking it gets. At the very least.

Piss take the church then.
The church is a man made bureaucratic construct. Take all the piss out of it you want.

I was in a really bad place last night....having gone out to walk the 14 stations of the cross because I do have some faith left in Jesus (not so much the organised church)
About 75 people did the walk and at every stop we prayed.
As the group came to the turn for the church a group of people started shouting abuse and throwing stuff at us.

I'll be honest...it scared the crap out of me. So I may have been very sensitive when not seeing the joke in the op at 5.30 am.

The church is a man made bureaucratic construct. Take all the piss out of it you want.

I was in a really bad place last night....having gone out to walk the 14 stations of the cross because I do have some faith left in Jesus (not so much the organised church)
As the group came to the turn for the church a group of people started shouting abuse and throwing stuff at us.

I'll be honest...it scared the crap out of me. So I may have been very sensitive when not seeing the joke in the op at 5.30 am.

At least your ideology just gets you a gentle ribbing, as opposed to ending up on the radar as a domestic extremist.

Well, when the church repeatedly abused friends of mine and regularly told me and thers that we were going to hell, I relate to people's anger.

Not that I condone people throwing stuff at you, though.

I've never liked Hicks, and that clip nicely confirms for me why. First the delivery. Even when you agree with what he's saying, he says it like a twat. It's very hard, even if it's an act, a persona, not to form the opinion that he's not a very pleasant person. Secondly, even though the first part of that monologue contains stuff I agree with (and is very similar to my daughter's point), he quickly strays into conspiracy territory. And apparently not ironically (unless I'm missing the point of his act). Plus, and more importantly, it doesn't make me laugh. All in less than three minutes.

Well, when the church repeatedly abused friends of mine and regularly told me and thers that we were going to hell, I relate to people's anger.

Not that I condone people throwing stuff at you, though.

Some of the people are my neighbours. People I've been friendly with....helped out...just regular stuff. I caught the eye of one of them (not that he'd thrown it lol) but I did stop for a second and he couldn't look me in the eye.

I'm going to go... bit upset..

It's a weird feeling seeing people you like turn against you just because of faith.

I've no doubt it will get a lot worse.
Tbh the best speech I've seen at a funeral was given by a Catholic priest, don't suppose I'll ever see a better. But your actual Catholicism is the auld time roman imperial Christianity with a few twists here and there. Catholicism, monophytism, Lutheranism, hell even the anabaptists have stuff to answer for... How do you think the auld pagans felt when theodosius banned the auld religions?

E2A if you want to follow Christ's teachings you need to abandon the nicene bible and return to what the early xtians thought, see e.g. Geza Vermes, Christian beginnings and Elaine Pagels, the gnostic gospels

Last edited:
I meant modern persecution in the middle East and North Korea and China.

That is true, and wrong, and should be condemned. But signs like the one on the pub are entirely legitimate - it is just a piss-take so entirely fair. Yes, the people complaining about have the right to complain, but they just have to accept it - just as non-religious people have to hear the shite spouted by the religious lobby time and time again on issues like gay people and abortion. The rest of us don't have to listen to their complaints because they are irrelevant and just whining for special treatment for their religion.

I've never liked Hicks, and that clip nicely confirms for me why. First the delivery. Even when you agree with what he's saying, he says it like a twat. It's very hard, even if it's an act, a persona, not to form the opinion that he's not a very pleasant person. Secondly, even though the first part of that monologue contains stuff I agree with (and is very similar to my daughter's point), he quickly strays into conspiracy territory. And apparently not ironically (unless I'm missing the point of his act). Plus, and more importantly, it doesn't make me laugh. All in less than three minutes.

I just posted it as your daughter’s comment reminded me of it.

That is true, and wrong, and should be condemned. But signs like the one on the pub are entirely legitimate - it is just a piss-take so entirely fair. Yes, the people complaining about have the right to complain, but they just have to accept it - just as non-religious people have to hear the shite spouted by the religious lobby time and time again on issues like gay people and abortion. The rest of us don't have to listen to their complaints because they are irrelevant and just whining for special treatment for their religion.
Anyway the auld roman persecutions are credited with a role in the success of xianity in the early centuries of the common era, and not being able to take a joke undermines the sterling work of early martyrs

a group of people started shouting abuse and throwing stuff at us.
That sounds unpleasant. There is, however, a big difference between making fun of a set of ideas (absolutely fine), and throwing hard things at people (usually not fine). We live in a time where the two are too often elided. This is a bad thing for all sorts of reasons and must be challenged.

He was always awful. Can you imagine if he was still alive? He’d be leading the charge of every fruitloop conspiracy bit of bollocks out there.

Blasphemy is no longer a crime in the UK but it is just over 40 years since Gay News and James Kirkup were fined and Kirkup given a suspended gaol sentence for publishing and composing the blasphemous poem "The love that dares to speak its name."

As they took him from the cross
I, the centurion, took him in my arms-
the tough lean body
of a man no longer young,
beardless, breathless,
but well hung.

He was still warm.
While they prepared the tomb
I kept guard over him.
His mother and the Magdalen
had gone to fetch clean linen
to shroud his nakedness.

I was alone with him.
For the last time
I kissed his mouth. My tongue
found his, bitter with death.
I licked his wound-
the blood was harsh
For the last time
I laid my lips around the tip
of that great cock, the instrument
of our salvation, our eternal joy.
The shaft, still throbbed, anointed
with death's final ejaculation

In full here :

The Love That Dares To Speak Its Name

You're entitled to. I just went off on a tangent about my dislike of Hicks because I watched the clip (the first time I'd seen it, I think).
I can't believe i used to really like his stuff. Imagine him today - the conspiracy angle would have taken over and the causal misanthropy amped up into some MENSA/alt-right/IQ science stuff.

edit: wtf bees stop mind reading!?

to me to get nailed is to be on the recieving end of some sex, not 'nailed' as in 'hammered' which one can use to mean drunk. So it sounds like they are encouraging fornication rather than drunkardness. Although the two are often seen in company
as the porter points out in macbeth, while the drinking may provoke the fucking it detracts from the performance

I can't believe i used to really like his stuff. Imagine him today - the conspiracy angle would have taken over and the causal misanthropy amped up into some MENSA/alt-right/IQ science stuff.
Yup, the superiority comes across in buckets. I don't imagine it would have diminished.

Tbh the best speech I've seen at a funeral was given by a Catholic priest, don't suppose I'll ever see a better. But your actual Catholicism is the auld time roman imperial Christianity with a few twists here and there. Catholicism, monophytism, Lutheranism, hell even the anabaptists have stuff to answer for... How do you think the auld pagans felt when theodosius banned the auld religions?

E2A if you want to follow Christ's teachings you need to abandon the nicene bible and return to what the early xtians thought, see e.g. Geza Vermes, Christian beginnings and Elaine Pagels, the gnostic gospels

I've read the Gnostic gospels and I do know where you're coming from.
I think my sense of humour failed because of what happened last evening....not so much the OP....I think it probably just was the final "nail in the coffin" (pun intended)
It suddenly struck me that I have became a target for abuse just because of my faith.

On another day I probably would have laughed at the OP and taken no offence. But shit got real yesterday and I felt intimidated and afraid in my own community.

Have I ever done that to you?
have i ever done anything to you? I too know LGBT+ christians - that's not my point. My point is - the Christian movement needs to look at the harm it does as a whole before it starts criticising harmless jokes by non-Christians.

I think it provokes a timely question, though. Which is why we as a society condemn Islamaphobia more strongly than anti-xtian behaviour. Which is about power, oppression, and it being bad to kick downwards, while taking a pop at power and privilege is pretty much fair game.

Rather like racism / humour by BAME people towards / about white people.

But that perhaps sheds light on why - in the mainstream - ppl are slow to care about antisemitism. Because most people don't perceive Jewish people to be oppressed. I'm not talking about holocaust deniers and your actual frothing nazis... but the passive bystander remaining passive because they haven't seen Jewish people experiencing the same day to day oppression as Muslims or other minority ethnicities.

I think it provokes a timely question, though. Which is why we as a society condemn Islamaphobia more strongly than anti-xtian behaviour. Which is about power, oppression, and it being bad to kick downwards, while taking a pop at power and privilege is pretty much fair game.

I was brought up a Christian. I was indocrinated in its dogma and beliefs and so was my community. The shit it preaches directly affects my life and always has done. I'd similarly support any muslim who criticises Islam for similar reasons. And I am critical of most religions for the harm they do. No point just picking on one when all the major religions are similarly damaging and equally fake.

Back
Top Bottom