Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Wales has world's steepest street

It says something about having buildings on each side. If you check it out on google maps you can see it sort of has houses on it at the top and bottom bits, whilst the steep bit is more like a country lane, of which there are many in the UK and on which you could almost certainly find a steeper section if measured over a short enough distance.

I wouldn't be surprised if money has exchanged hands here; Wales has a long record of these kind of tourism scams.
No, it’s definitely a proper street. It connects the high street to the main road. It’s about as towny a town street as you get in North Wales.

"Old Wyche Road, Worcestershire

This hill requires a good handbrake but will deliver undisturbed views of the Malvern Hills and valleys."

Delivers undisturbed views of the Malvern Hills??? Does if fuck. At best you can see a little bit of one side of one of the hills.

And what "valleys"? Have you ever even been to Malvern?!?!?

:mad:

[Rages at shit journalism for the next few pages....]

While teuchter is being a grump for no good reason, I suspect he is factually right. Slums in Latin America are often built up mountainsides and I'm sure no-one has bothered to measure the gradient of most of the streets. I found this in Medellin within about 30 seconds and know that if I looked I'd find steeper - though many of the smaller streets aren't on streetview Google Maps

Why are the women of Harlech confined to brackets?

You are either so obtuse you’re off the scale or your prejudice against Wales, dressed up as something about the tourist board wasn’t it, carries over to a woeful ignorance of Welsh culture.

Why are the women of Harlech confined to brackets?
I'm not sure Celyn can be held responsible for the fact that the song in question is titled "Men of Harlech".

I've just tried it, and can confirm that it loses something of its martial aplomb when you try to sing it "Menandwomen of Harlech".

While teuchter is being a grump for no good reason, I suspect he is factually right. Slums in Latin America are often built up mountainsides and I'm sure no-one has bothered to measure the gradient of most of the streets. I found this in Medellin within about 30 seconds and know that if I looked I'd find steeper - though many of the smaller streets aren't on streetview Google Maps

The street outside my front door, in Wales, is steeper than that.

I’ve been through South America from top to bottom, and some places there do have steep streets, but I never really found anything to match a few places I’ve been to in the U.K. (in terms of gradient, with streets. Crossing the Andes is something else but there’s no streets up there).

The street outside my front door, in Wales, is steeper than that.

I’ve been through South America from top to bottom, and some places there do have steep streets, but I never really found anything to match a few places I’ve been to in the U.K. (in terms of gradient, with streets. Crossing the Andes is something else but there’s no streets up there).
I didn't say that was the steepest street, just making the point that entire districts of cities have been built up mountainsides in places where no-one has ever bothered to measure the gradient. Medellin is a good example as there are parts where cable cars and escalators are the public transport. Rio would be another one to look at, see the Rocinha favela pic here: Rio de Janeiro

I'm not sure Celyn can be held responsible for the fact that the song in question is titled "Men of Harlech".

I've just tried it, and can confirm that it loses something of its martial aplomb when you try to sing it "Menandwomen of Harlech".
That must have quite entertaining for your colleagues or neighbours. :D

planetgeli, everyone knows one crosses the Andes by frog.

We took the more conventional bus option both ways (Santiago-Mendoza, Mendoza-Santiago). It was one of the best journeys ever, completely scaring the crap out of my gf over the hundreds of switchbacks as we climbed and descended thousands of metres. That's one way to beat steep streets. Switchbacks. And don't build houses.

Anyway, tenuous connection for quick story. As any traveller knows, the people you don't ever fuck with while travelling are passport control. Chileans were brilliant both ways, a cheery wave through. Argentinians not so much. And we'd met this Dutch guy on the bus, travelling alone, who seemed pretty chill - until we got to Argentinian passport control. All seemed well until they went to stamp his passport. On a page at the back that apparently in Netherlands passports are reserved for kids if you have them on your passport. He went mental. Continuously shouting and swearing in good Dutch (I assume), not bad English, and piss poor Spanish. Grabbed his passport back off the bloke through the window. Continued to rant. These guys had guns. You just never do this. He did. And I loved him for it. Again and again he ranted about how much that back page mustn't be touched, really screaming. Maybe you had to be there but I've never seen such a brave thing at a border. And he won. Eventually.

So the Argentinians searched our whole bus and most of us and our bags to make up for it. :facepalm:

If it's such an important song, the people of Wales should have thought of a gender-inclusive version by now. All you need to do is find a one syllable word to replace 'men' with. You might be just the person to lead this campaign. Then the people of Harlech would have something meaningful to be proud of, instead of a bogus 'steep street'.

If it's such an important song, the people of Wales should have thought of a gender-inclusive version by now. All you need to do is find a one syllable word to replace 'men' with. You might be just the person to lead this campaign. Then the people of Harlech would have something meaningful to be proud of, instead of a bogus 'steep street'.

We had a spectacularly drunken , Welsh themed dinner for my 50th , where this song was indeed sung with men (and Women) of Harlech as one of the "highlights" . I have tried.

Off topic I know , but you understand am sure.

Back
Top Bottom