Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The lonely tech post thread.

One of these?

For years radios had been operated by means of pressing buttons and turning dials; then as the technology became more sophisticated the controls were made touch-sensitive--you merely had to brush the panels with your fingers; now all you had to do was wave your hand in the general direction of the components and hope. It saved a lot of muscular expenditure, of course, but meant that you had to sit infuriatingly still if you wanted to keep listening to the same program.

FFS. Monday morning, turned on one of the devices, and it registers straight away. So if I was starting to doubt my sanity, this was 100% a Microsoft problem.

I just bought a 128GB Quest 2 for €50 with no controllers. I believe it can be used with hand gestures instead of the controllers but will see.

I suspect you might find it rather suboptimal and you might need the controllers for the initial setup, but if you can make it work it seems a good price.

I suspect you might find it rather suboptimal and you might need the controllers for the initial setup, but if you can make it work it seems a good price.
I did a bit of reading before I bought it, and it can be set up without the controllers. It's a bit of faffing but it can be done.
I only plan on using it to see if how good the display is, and how well the head tracking works, and if it's any good, I might get the V3.

It's coming with an elite head strap and battery, and a link cable, so it was a good price.

That is a good price then, I don't think the link cables were cheap. I'm not sure why you'd want one unless you had bad WiFi, I'm just using the default free app and it's been fine, although I hear the paid one can be better. That's with a decent AP on each floor though, which I know isn't typical for many homes.

That is a good price then, I don't think the link cables were cheap. I'm not sure why you'd want one unless you had bad WiFi, I'm just using the default free app and it's been fine, although I hear the paid one can be better. That's with a decent AP on each floor though, which I know isn't typical for many homes.
I have 6 routers around the house, and one in the shed. WiFi shouldn't be an issue. :D

Any recommendations for something to test it with? Solely for image quality and head tracking purposes.
What's it like with normal PC games in virtual desktop mode, are the graphics passable?

I have 6 routers around the house, and one in the shed. WiFi shouldn't be an issue. :D

Any recommendations for something to test it with? Solely for image quality and head tracking purposes.
What's it like with normal PC games in virtual desktop mode, are the graphics passable?

Pedant mode. They aren't routers, then. :p

I've not tried any normal PC games yet, but I've heard it's sub optimal. Even some ports are only average. Quite a good free little thing to use is from Valve, it's called the lab, a selection of mini games. There's some tech demos in the Oculus PC stores as well. Not tried any of the "big" VR titles yet until I've got a bit more free time

Pedant mode. They aren't routers, then. :p
OK, routers configured as access points... they were routers when I bought them :D

Ive not tried any normal PC games yet, but I've heard it's sub optimal. Even some ports are only average. Quite a good free little thing to use is from Valve, it's called the lab, a selection of mini games. There's some tech demos in the Oculus PC stores as well. Not tried any of the "big" VR titles yet until I've got a bit more free time
I've just been doing some reading, and PC games are ... "acceptable", if I'm to believe some owners, but confirmation bias suggests they're probably stretching the truth a tad, and they're mediocre at best. V3 is supposed to be better but I won't be buying one just to test it... yet :facepalm:

OK, routers configured as access points... they were routers when I bought them :D

I've just been doing some reading, and PC games are ... "acceptable", if I'm to believe some owners, but confirmation bias suggests they're probably stretching the truth a tad, and they're mediocre at best. V3 is supposed to be better but I won't be buying one just to test it... yet :facepalm:

I think it's the ones written for VR or at least modded. So for example, I'm looking forward to playing No Mans Sky and Half Life Alyx.

I've got a Pico 4 and with Virtual desktop I can play all the steam VR games via connecting wireless to my pc, in fact I dont think ive even got any native apps apart from Virtual desktop.

Thinking abut it I also played about with MS Flight simulator and Elite dangerous.

You people with Occulus headsets should be able to do the same thing.

I've got a Pico 4 and with Virtual desktop I can play all the steam VR games via connecting wireless to my pc, in fact I dont think ive even got any native apps apart from Virtual desktop.

Thinking abut it I also played about with MS Flight simulator and Elite dangerous.

You people with Occulus headsets should be able to do the same thing.

Pretty much. I've not got round to paying for the Virtual Desktop all the provided one seems fine. I probably will though.

Another recent bargain is another mechanical keyboard, this one to use at work. I've got a Hyper X with Cherry Reds at home, which is a great gaming keyboard and not bad for typing, but wanted to try something with a more tactile switch. Got a Ducky One 2 with Cherry Browns, really does make typing a dream. It's an older model, but these things are built like tanks and paid £50 rather than the £130ish the equivalent current model would cost.

The hardware my employer hands out is alright, but my god the peripherals are the cheapest going.

Reactions: Chz
Is it just me or is DuckDuckGo not working this morning? I'm getting an error displaying search results and nothing showing up.

Another recent bargain is another mechanical keyboard, this one to use at work. I've got a Hyper X with Cherry Reds at home, which is a great gaming keyboard and not bad for typing, but wanted to try something with a more tactile switch. Got a Ducky One 2 with Cherry Browns, really does make typing a dream. It's an older model, but these things are built like tanks and paid £50 rather than the £130ish the equivalent current model would cost.

The hardware my employer hands out is alright, but my god the peripherals are the cheapest going.
£50 is awesome. I faffed about looking at all sorts of cheaper things and ended up paying out £80 for a genuine Cherry with the silent reds.

£50 is awesome. I faffed about looking at all sorts of cheaper things and ended up paying out £80 for a genuine Cherry with the silent reds.

I was looking at one of them new before this came up, quite liked the idea of low profile keys.

Had my first dud from eBay, got a Corsair even cheaper, but some of the keys didn't work, but luckily the return was smooth.

Both of the legs/feet fell off my Keychron K2 keyboard two days ago.
I've had it for about 4 years, and they both fall off on the same day?! Found someone selling replacements on eBay for about a fiver each.

TKL keyboards are weird. My colleague leant me one to test the browns, I kept reaching for keys that weren't there. I can maybe see if it's mostly a gaming device, but I've spent decades using a numeric pad.

I should read eBay listings a bit more carefully before making offers. I put an offer in for £100 for a new sealed 12TB drive, not expecting it to be accepted. It was and it auto paid. Except it's a SAS drive. :facepalm:

Luckily it wasn't to an expensive mistake, I've been able to pick up the HP SAS card for the machine it's going in for £15. And I guess has the card as two ports I can buy another SAS drive.

Last edited:
I should read eBay listings a bit more carefully before making offers. I put an offer in for £100 for a new sealed 12TB drive, not expecting it to be accepted. It was and it auto paid. Except it's a SAS drive. :facepalm:

Luckily it wasn't to an expensive mistake, I've been able to pick up the HP SAS card for the machine it's going in for £15. And I guess has the card as two ports I can buy another SAS drive.
He who dares wins I suppose 🤷🏻‍♂️

No, but it's EEC which is normally cheaper as fewer people can use it, but not that cheap.
ECC or Registered? ECC will work as normal RAM if the board doesn't support it. You just lose the bit error correction. But Registered won't work at all.

SAS drive?

I've finally got round to putting my Commonwealth stamp sets into a spreadsheet. I've recently bought two sets I already have, so relying on memory isn't up to the job anymore.

I have just come across a slight problem, on entering the Stanley Gibbons numbers for a set which is SG11- 20, it is coming up as Nov-20. The SG is column header, not in each cell. If I put in SG11 - 20, it is fine.

How do I stop it defaulting to date format? At the moment I have it in as 11*20 which distresses me greatly.

Back
Top Bottom